Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times

Advertisements

Are there any that are truly worth it, or legit? I'm so fed up with mine and just don't want to bother with the Executive politics anymore. Working from home would be a dream for me but it seems like they are all scams. Anyone know of any that aren't? I'd even settle for a pay cut!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Are there any that are truly worth it, or legit? I'm so fed up with mine and just don't want to bother with the Executive politics anymore. Working from home would be a dream for me but it seems like they are all scams. Anyone know of any that aren't? I'd even settle for a pay cut!
95% of them are scams. Look for a requirement of ponying up an "initiation fee", assembling things at home, or "investing" in something. That is an indication that it is a scam. There are a few that are legit...but they are rare.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
It depends on how much you need to earn. If you want to make grocery money or fund the family vacation every year, try Live Ops. You'll need a landline telephone and computer with Internet, but there's no special equipment to buy and no fee to begin working.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,933,539 times
I've worked from home for the past 10 years. Currently I'm working 2 work-at-home jobs. The pay is competitive and I have all the usual benefits 401K, health insurance, etc. My employer provided my computer, pays my internet, etc. I'm in healthcare admin and accounting (in the middle of changing careers, hence the two jobs right now). Neither job was advertised as work from home. When I accepted the positions I didn't even know that I had the option to work f/t at home. I have several friends who have the option to work from home and the number of people I know who work from home has definitely increased over the years.

My observations:

Don't look for work from home (actually, the buzzword lately has been "remote") jobs. Target jobs for which you're skilled and then, once they make the offer, bring it up. Of course, these would be jobs that you think could be done from home.

I've enjoyed working from home, especially while my kids were small, but I'm about to look for a position where I work in office--at least part of the time. Why? Because even though I work from home, I still deal with nasty coworkers. Only now, they surface during teleconferences and send emails. And when you work from home, it's difficult to defend yourself or your work when you don't realize that your detractors have your boss's ear--in the office. Also makes it tough to know who your allies are.

There really is some truth to out of sight, out of mind. My career has definitely taken a direct hit. At one time, one particular office was going to go entirely remote. Only there were two people who didn't want to work at home--b/c they said they didn't have the self-motivation to actually work from home. Guess who my new bosses are?

Finally, over the years I've found it increasingly difficult to truly separate work from home. In-office workers have kept their same schedule for years. Those of us at home, however, are expected to work unlimited overtime, shift our start and end times, deal with clients after hours, etc.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:48 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,668,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It depends on how much you need to earn. If you want to make grocery money or fund the family vacation every year, try Live Ops. You'll need a landline telephone and computer with Internet, but there's no special equipment to buy and no fee to begin working.
Sorry if I'm being dense, but what is "Live Ops" a company name? Or Live operations? If it is live operations what does that entail(telemarketing etc?)?
Thanksl

Old 01-06-2010, 04:06 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
When you see the ads for "work from home" as the main word, it probably is a red flag. Bande said the key thing, look for the real job and it may have option for work from home. Know a person who applied for a reservation/customer complaint handling job for a national company. Applied, went in for 2 interviewes, was called in for a offer meeting and thats when they said she had option to go into an office, but could also work from home. This was not some side business but direct with a Fortune 100 company as an employee.

The work from home required a computer and fast internet connection and enviroment free from noise and distractions (they did a visit to her house). She does have to go in on day every two weeks for training, paperwork and in-office call handling, but other times she does it from her desk at the house.

She was surprise because nowhere in the ad did it say work from home and they never mentioned that until an offer was made.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:33 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
No telemarketing with Live Ops (the name of the company.) Inbound calls only, mostly taking reservations, orders, etc. Customer service. Completely legit, a lot of the companies that use Live ops are major hotel chains and airlines.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:08 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
Thanks for all the info all. I'm hoping in the next 3 months or so I can seriously look around.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,846 times
please send me information on work at home jobs that are legit thanks

Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
You can play the stock market from your home.

If you had invested $30,000 in any of the major banks (BAC, C, WFC, JPM) or any tech stock in spring of 2009 at the peak of the recession, you would have net around $100,000 by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment