Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM

8,121 posts, read 12,856,689 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to find some sort of part time or temp work while I work on starting my business. The problem is that I have a two year gap in employment which is a result of going back to school.

I am 48 years old and it is clear I will not be working as an employee in the field I trained in. (not surprised at all by this) I was prepared for that and am now working on developing my business. It is a solid plan but it is in the slow "start up phase" as well as my having to deal with some issues that require more study (long story).

I would like to work either part time (ideally) or for a temp agency. The problem is that my former employment was in manufacturing quality/operations and I have no experience in any typical part time work.

When I apply to temp jobs I have to explain the gap in my employment. Sometimes I feel like I would have a better chance telling them I was in the penitentiary than in school. It seems as if the "temp" agencies are actually looking for full time long term workers. I thought "TEMP" meant that you worked temporarily at the place.

I do not feel there is anything wrong with my appearance and I have a lot of skills and abilities.

I have been advertising on Craigslist for part time contract work but so far it has been a bust. There are a whole lot of idiots out there with unrealistic expectations about pay/experience/duties.

Any suggestions on how to get a short term part time/temp job when it is clear you have other things going on? I don't need large wage but it would be nice to have some money coming in.

What can I do? I am already offering limited services from my business but until I am fully prepared and market to my target demographic, I need some cash coming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,854,020 times
Telling the truth always helps. I know how uncomfortable it can be though, trust me. Take notes ahead of time about what you want to explain about your gap in employment, and try to put emphasis on what you have been getting out of your education.

Also I remember learning one time about a way to design a resume in a way that highlights your skills/experience without emphasizing the timeline. While that wouldn't have worked for me as an entry-level worker, it might help you get noticed more, and get more practice explaining your situation. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment