Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:40 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Start a business. You won't get laid off unless your half of you dislikes you.
Or your business fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 09:46 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Which is why the tax payers and consumers of government services get the shaft ... It should be merit-based versus blind seniority where the burnt-out, ineffective employees get laid off and the energetic, productive employees get to keep their jobs. I don't care how it's done in private industries but when it comes to public employees, the taxpayers are the true employers and we should get more bang for our bucks.
I actually am against any government employee or contractor being union.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Not sure how that helps the OP considering he is just looking to get in to one of these jobs. He would be first out.
If you take that attitude you won't ever start. He would be first out at first but only if they furlough.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Or your business fails.
Correct. But worst case is that you're unemployed again. Atleast you tried.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:33 PM

13 posts, read 125,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
And what type of business do you think he should start? Dog Walking? Hot dog stand? Or maybe he should take out a small business loan and open up a manufacturing company right? Opening a business in America for the average person with not a lot of capital is worthless, unless you have a groundbreaking idea as well. 50 years ago anyone could open up any business and be fairly successful. At least make enough to support a family and a middle class lifestyle.
Starting a business with a small capital, i dont think is completely worthless. The success of the business depends completely on how you start the business and the way you promote the business. The best way is that if he wants to start a business he must consult any good business consultant who can guide him with the current situations of the market and make him crystal clear with the needs of the market. if he starts a business which actually fulfills the needs of people ,his business can definitely grow even he is not having any capital

Old 10-25-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If you take that attitude you won't ever start. He would be first out at first but only if they furlough.
I'm not the one looking for a "layoff proof" job. I'm smart enough to realize they don't exist.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:14 AM

Let's keep in mind most businesses don't even turn a profit for a year or two. You need to be able to survive that long.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I'm not the one looking for a "layoff proof" job. I'm smart enough to realize they don't exist.

I never said you were, I was countering your point

Old 10-25-2010, 01:46 PM

13 posts, read 50,145 times
Quote:
Now lets have some sense. I realize that no jobs are lay off proof but some give you at least a heads up or some type of bargaining alternative. That's what i'm talking about.

Oh and thanks for implying I'm dumb. wow.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Let's keep in mind most businesses don't even turn a profit for a year or two. You need to be able to survive that long.
There's plenty of businesses that profit immediately or close to it.

In NJ, you have self employment assistance which pays you the same amount as unemployment while you work on your own business and until it becomes profitable. I'm sure other states have something like this as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment