Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:33 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,730,774 times

Advertisements

I have been contemplating this for some time, and I'm sick of it.

My work hours have been increased from 32 hours per week, to in excess of 60 some weeks, but always over 40-50. I'm non-exempt, so I get overtime, but the work is destroying my life. It used to be 8-4 or 8-6, now I still usually start at 8, but get done between 8 and 11. The hours are supposed to go down soon, and this has only been happening for 2 weeks now, and I've heard that I can expect to get out at between 6 and in a few weeks, and back to 4 by Christmas.

I've heard that a dramatic increase in hours can be "cause" for quitting. Is this true? And what proof do I need? I can print out my time sheets as evidence, or pay stubs.

I don't believe in unemployment over 26 weeks, but I believe that my work hates the idea of me quitting because I am the "expert" in my office, and even my manager usually goes to me first for questions.

And I'm in Buffalo, NY; work in a bank branch. (If that's relevant)

So given the fact that these hours are supposedly temporary, and I'm getting overtime, can this be cause for quitting?

Thanks all, and reps to all the good answers (because who doesn't love that )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 12:42 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,267,769 times
I wouldn't quit, but that is just me.

I don't really see 60 hours/week as being TOO bad. I would take this as an opportunity to find a better job. Work the 60 hour weeks for a year or so, build up an impressive portfolio of projects and use that to get a job one step higher on the food chain than what you currently have.

Every problem is somehow an opportunity...you just need to figure out what the opportunity is with this.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Yeah, I'm a teller, I don't have projects.

I graduated college with honors this June, this job is really quite far below my education. I didn't mind part time because I could interview, now I can't even do that because I have no time off.

WITH this overtime, I'll be making about what I should given my degree alone (BBA, 3.45 GPA, president of the 5th largest student club on a 26,000 person campus, worked through college). I have a fairly impressive resume for someone my age, but can't even really apply much anymore - and interviewing is nearly impossible. I used to get each Wednesday off so I could schedule interviews then, can't do that anymore.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:16 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,732,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Yeah, I'm a teller, I don't have projects.

I graduated college with honors this June, this job is really quite far below my education. I didn't mind part time because I could interview, now I can't even do that because I have no time off.

WITH this overtime, I'll be making about what I should given my degree alone (BBA, 3.45 GPA, president of the 5th largest student club on a 26,000 person campus, worked through college). I have a fairly impressive resume for someone my age, but can't even really apply much anymore - and interviewing is nearly impossible. I used to get each Wednesday off so I could schedule interviews then, can't do that anymore.
Bad news for you: your degree does not entitle you (nor guarantee you) to a certain salary. (MBA, yes people care. BBA? Bare minimum degree. And even having an MBA entitles you to nothing.) And as you move forward in your career, you will find that nobody cares about your being the president of the student club, and that nobody cares about your GPA. I suggest that you immediately get into the habit of listing other qualities about yourself when you discuss why you offer value to an employer.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,984,130 times
Seriously, you're thinking of quitting over a situation that has only been going on for two weeks? That's not even enough time for management to identify and implement a solution to the problem for heaven's sake. I mean if they need to hire someone to take on these extra hours, it takes time for them to interview, extend an offer, and set a start date.

As for "cause" that makes you eligible for unemployment--I don't think so. The only circumstance in which work hours makes you eligible is if the employer cut your hours & pay by more than 50%. Otherwise, you are an at-will employer and they can change your work responsibilities, hours, and conditions whenever they feel like it and for whatever reason they choose.

Also, there is more to eligibility than reason for your leaving. You also have to be monetarily eligible. The wording is convoluted, but basically you have to have worked for six months out of the past twelve, and your earnings over the past three months can't account for more than 50% of your earnings over those six. Since you've only been employed for two months and presumably your earnings from this job are either all or a significant portion of your total earnings, you don't come even close to meeting this requirement.

Quitting your first job after college after a mere two months because you had to work a few hours of overtime is not the way to start out a successful career. Regardless of your occupation, your degree, your gpa, or your student involvement, you have to start at the bottom and work hard and put in your time before you get the luxury of a comfy salary and easy hours and a status title.

And if you think you have a high likelihood of finding another job in a mere 26 weeks you aren't being very realistic.

Last edited by kodaka; 08-21-2010 at 03:39 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 03:22 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,842,702 times
the problem is you are good at your job, once people find that out they will ask much more of you.
are you tring to make a case for EDD??

Old 08-21-2010, 03:23 PM

165 posts, read 591,211 times
Lots of people would love to be getting 60 hours a week and getting paid overtime for it. It's rough out here right now. Just think it over long and hard before you quit a steady paycheck.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:52 PM

.[/quote]

Well, they aren't hiring anyone else, that much is clear, and the problem won't be over soon. Like I said, i've been told to expect this until Christmas, and I just can't go that long without being able to interview...

And this is all due to a major operational change in each office. The trials started in May, and those employees are still staying until 8 or 9 each night, and we are a much larger office than any of the trial offices.

At any rate, I don't think that I need to justify my question, I'm just looking for an answer.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:59 PM

As for the comment about me not having earned a job just by a degree, I wasn't implying that at all. I'm just saying that I am very well qualified for someone of my age... The fact remains that no one my age is really qualified for much at all.

As for those accomplishments not mattering, when you have little experience, those things can differentiate you a good deal. I am basically the ideal new graduate, and far more qualified than 90% my age, but as I said before, no one my age is qualified for much at all.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:50 PM

625 posts, read 3,646,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
As for the comment about me not having earned a job just by a degree, I wasn't implying that at all. I'm just saying that I am very well qualified for someone of my age... The fact remains that no one my age is really qualified for much at all.

As for those accomplishments not mattering, when you have little experience, those things can differentiate you a good deal. I am basically the ideal new graduate, and far more qualified than 90% my age, but as I said before, no one my age is qualified for much at all.
Please don't listen to all the negativity. Some people feel the need to bash new grads or those who graduated college a little before or during the recession. I guess they believe you think you are "entitled" to a job when in reality you are just frustrated because parents, professors, and guidance counselors beat it into your head that without a college degree you won't get that far and/or a degree will open doors that a hs diploma never could. It's not entitlement it's called being pissed off that you spent time busting your hump working full-time (in my case) and going to school full-time (in my case again) only to find that the jobs have depleted and/or the salary is a joke considering you made that same amount when you didn't have a degree! Anyway those accomplishments do matter it speaks for your leadship skills and working while in school is also a plus considering a lot of young people don't.

IMO you should stay on the job (I used to be a bank teller and we both know it's not stressful work) do the long hours but still apply for jobs. The odds of you applying for a job and being called right away for an interview is slim so why quit a job and risk being denied unemployment? It's only been two weeks, you are young, and working extra hours and saving money will definitely pay off in the long run.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment