Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:54 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,657,408 times

Advertisements

Ok,
I'm confused? What happened to all these jobs you were interviewing for and got and your still at this one?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...iven-back.html

Last edited by OHGreat; 08-21-2010 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 05:16 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,682,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
As for the comment about me not having earned a job just by a degree, I wasn't implying that at all. I'm just saying that I am very well qualified for someone of my age... The fact remains that no one my age is really qualified for much at all.

As for those accomplishments not mattering, when you have little experience, those things can differentiate you a good deal. I am basically the ideal new graduate, and far more qualified than 90% my age, but as I said before, no one my age is qualified for much at all.
Sorry but that's not how it works. That you are more qualified than 90% of people your age is irrelevant, because your next job isn't going to hire you based on your age. (It's illegal to even ask your age... they have to guess based on your resume.) They can hire a person a mere two years older with two years worth of actual working experience. Your competition is everyone now, not your fellow graduates.

Don't listen to people who claim pointing this out is bashing you. Pointing this out will strengthen you as a candidate. What do you want to do, and why would you be great at it? Why will you make a company money? I don't know the answer, but it has nothing to do with your student union activities and it has nothing to do with your GPA. Answer those questions and you will be far ahead of people who have a few years on you.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,915,728 times
Quote:
It's not entitlement it's called being pissed off that you spent time busting your hump working full-time (in my case) and going to school full-time (in my case again) only to find that the jobs have depleted and/or the salary is a joke considering you made that same amount when you didn't have a degree! Anyway those accomplishments do matter it speaks for your leadship skills and working while in school is also a plus considering a lot of young people don't.
Newsflash: You aren't the first generation to spend a fortune and a lot of time on a degree and still have to work hard and struggle to find a job. You're just the first generation to blame everyone else for your own naivete.

Not everyone of course. There are some of course who are well aware that there are no guarantees in life. Too bad we couldn't hear more from them on these forums.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Ok,
I'm confused? What happened to all these jobs you were interviewing for and got and your still at this one?

Whoops! I've been had by a crazy internet liar! Oh well, not the first time, won't be the last.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Whoops! I've been had by a crazy internet liar! Oh well, not the first time, won't be the last.
I dont know if he is lying or not but something doesn't seem right to me. All I have heard for several months is he was getting 2 and 3 job offers yet he is still at the bank teller job he has been at from the beginning.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I dont know if he is lying or not but something doesn't seem right to me. All I have heard for several months is he was getting 2 and 3 job offers yet he is still at the bank teller job he has been at from the beginning.
Been there, done that... hates his job, wants to know if he can quit now... yet has turned down several good offers? Nope, I'm done with this thread. I admit i was duped, and now I'll quit while I'm behind.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:45 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,847,049 times
Quote:
As I understand it - he was offered a great job, offer was rescinded, they offered it again and then rescinded (yet again) - meanwhile he knocked back a couple of other offers while this was going on thinking he had the "great job" in the bag.

That's life.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
As I understand it - he was offered a great job, offer was rescinded, they offered it again and then rescinded (yet again) - meanwhile he knocked back a couple of other offers while this was going on thinking he had the "great job" in the bag.

That's life.
Ok,
Never saw that they took it back again anywhere. I figured it would have been stated in the thread I linked to yet it wasn't.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:50 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,720,773 times
Quote:
Ok,

Well, for someone who keeps track of my posts, you keep track... badly.

I explained in another thread (don't care to search) that the company basically screwed me. I sat down with HR, agreed to a salary, start date everything was good. Then they decided to just eliminate the position because the system that I was going to be in charge of was already way overbudget so they just cut my salary out of it.

In the mean time I turned down a good offer for this.

Quote:
Don't listen to people who claim pointing this out is bashing you. Pointing this out will strengthen you as a candidate. What do you want to do, and why would you be great at it? Why will you make a company money? I don't know the answer, but it has nothing to do with your student union activities and it has nothing to do with your GPA. Answer those questions and you will be far ahead of people who have a few years on you.
I'm not an idiot. I said twice already that I get this.

Quote:
Not everyone of course. There are some of course who are well aware that there are no guarantees in life. Too bad we couldn't hear more from them on these forums.
Uhh, yeah, like I've said a million times over. I have actually said very explicitly that a college shouldn't be a guarantee for a job (because it isn't) and that the education system ought to stop telling each student that they need to go to college.

One person makes a claim about me and you all pile on as if I made this claim myself. I never said I am owed a job, or that I should get one because I graduated college. All that I said was that I am better situated than my fellow grad, and that this means nothing because companies aren't willing to take a risk that the new employee will work out.

Quote:
I listed the companies who offered me a job, and why I turned them down. You're clearly jealous because you've been "searching" for nearly two years and can't find a job and are about to lose your house - I actually have a job, and am getting offers.

Because you still can only be bothered to cite these facts incorrectly or incompletely:

I was offered a position with Wells Fargo: I turned it down because everyone told me it was "church 'n burn." But the salary was decent.

MassMutual: Base salary was too low, and no leads were given.

First Niagara Bank: Interviewers were rude, I didn't even want the job going in, somehow got an offer, which I rejected immediately.

US Bank: Would have accepted but I thought I had a solid offer from the company that reneged.

(X Company (still speaking with)): Company that reneged, still talking with HR to try and find a position. (I know, fool me once...)

(Y Company): Wants to hire me, just needs me to meet with a regional manager when a specific position opens.

----

This is the Internet, I don't need to lie. I asked a question and it turns to this.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:56 PM

All I can say South is you really show your age with your posts. I dont keep track of your posts. I do a search for and find the one I was talking about with no update from you. You really need to get over yourself sometimes. lol Oh and BTW, you know nothing more about me then I tell you and have no clue where I stand on anything. lol
Also I would suggest you try posting back to your original threads of updates and not other threads about a job offer that got rescinded for a second time, then you would not end up with things like this.
You really need to look at that Karma thing as if all these stories you have are true it appears to be biting you.

Last edited by OHGreat; 08-21-2010 at 06:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment