Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,934,464 times

Advertisements

Definitely, but it's the flexibility of the job that keeps me there. I make about AUD$21 p/h and I work part-time. I get sick leave, study leave, annual leave PLUS a pretty hefty bonus at Xmas time. It's an office admin job but there is no way I'd take a project based job that called for lots of meetings and after hours/weekend work.
I eventually want to work as a historian in the U.S, but the way things are going, I'll take whatever I can get when I move there. I won't have finished my degree, will probably transfer to another college if I can, but will still do office type work if I have to. I have savings, so am not panicked about it yet. Would like to be able to use my brain eventually though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 PM

924 posts, read 2,233,261 times
Yes I used to be underemployed in a big way when I got a BA two years ago and still had a part time 20 hr/week job as my only job. Now I have more hours but it's "only" customer service, not what I went to school for. So yeah, I guess I'm still underemployed, even with an almost full time schedule.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:30 AM

286 posts, read 1,151,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
According to Rand Paul all the unemployed need to just go back to work, even if they are making significantly less.

Rand Paul to long-term jobless: Just go back to work | McClatchy

Love the use of the word "just".

Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,697,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallon View Post
Love the use of the word "just".
What a clueless pig that guy is.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:27 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,942,686 times
In normal times, not these days, underemployment, especially among college graduates, is a bigger problem than unemployment. The English major driving a truck, Business major working as a secretary, the Law School graduate working as a paralegal. But sometimes it is a fine line, I heard of an English major working as a railroad conductor. Not using the degree, but was making more money.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:42 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,202,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc.random View Post
Anyone here significantly UNDERemployed?

Do you have a degree and years of experience but find yourself still in a junior/entry level position? OR do you have a degree but find yourself in a job that doesn't even require it?

How many years will you think the recession will delay your career?

I WAS underemployed until today. I was fired.

I was an Financial Analyst than Investment Banker for 12 years than I was downsized. I took a job to keep the bills paid than that turned into a 2 year long awful experience. So here I am...back a square 1.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:52 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,006,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I was underemployed last year when I took a part-time job at a book store making $8 when I was previously making $50,000 annually and hold a master's degree in management.

But it helped my sanity, got me out of the house and helped with Hawaiian wedding plans I had. After a few months I took a temp job making $15 hourly and then another at $18 hourly and things have definitely gotten better.

I say take whatever work you can to get back in the workforce.
Great example of what can happen when you don't give up.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:58 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,006,430 times
[quote=pvande55;14832489]In normal times, not these days, underemployment, especially among college graduates, is a bigger problem than unemployment. The English major driving a truck, Business major working as a secretary, the Law School graduate working as a paralegal. But sometimes it is a fine line, I heard of an English major working as a railroad conductor. Not using the degree, but was making more money.[/quote]

I don't blame him/her. Make that money and read Shakespeare on breaks.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:15 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,722,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
According to Rand Paul all the unemployed need to just go back to work, even if they are making significantly less.

Rand Paul to long-term jobless: Just go back to work | McClatchy

He's dead on.

I'm making about $20,000 a year less than my experience and education would dictate - 20 hours a week, no benefits, etc.

I hate going into a job that isn't challenging, isn't rewarding, and has no chance of advancement. I do it because that is far better than taking a check that I know my government doesn't have the money for.

Rand Paul is 100% right. If you are offered a job, even menial, and far less than you would normally accept, you ought to take it. It's far better from a moral standpoint to work at something "below" you than sit on the sidelines accepting a handout for 2 years.

I nearly relocated to Kentucky and would have been proud to vote and to volunteer for Rand Paul's election.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,174,414 times
i do basic help desk work that doesnt require a degree. IT degree hasnt been put to use since i got it 2.5 years ago

most of the people here have no IT background. feels like a giant waste of time =/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment