Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 14,171 times

Advertisements

Hello local Western NC's!
We are about to relocate to your beautiful area, but would like your thoughts on downtown Burnsville. We are looking at two farmhouses, one is in Burnsville and the other is in Alexander/Weaverville area. We would like to be closer to downtown Asheville for nights out, but want to get a feel for downtown Burnsville too when we just want to do a little shopping or have some dinner out. Is it dry, or can we have some wine with dinner??
We are coming from the Sierras in Central Ca. We haved lived here all our lives and are ready to semi-retire and try the South East, time to reinvent ourselves a little. Different people, cultures, food and scenery
judi from the west coast mountains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 12:10 PM

121 posts, read 278,005 times
Unfortunately, Yancey County is a dry county so your dinner in Burnsville should go good with tea.... But, beyond that it is a quaint little town with a small central square with a couple of restaurants nestled in the mountains. We live in Mars Hill and love it. We have relatively quick access to Asheville and Burnsville, but also have Mars Hill College and a batch of decent restaurants. (Mars Hill just recently voted in beer and wine!!! Yes!!!!!!) The other thing I might mention is that travel to Burnsville for the next year or so is going to be very dicey with highway construction on 19.
Brian

Old 01-16-2010, 12:28 PM

358 posts, read 785,873 times
Dido on the road contruction problem for the next year or so,but when its done should knock a few minutes off the Burnsville/Asheville drive. Mar Hill is nice. We built on 10 acres in the Forks of Ivy area just south of Mars Hill. Weaverville is 10 minutes and Asheville 20. Land is relatively gentle here(meaning if you trip and fall you wont roll to Asheville). Good luck! Don

Old 01-17-2010, 05:38 PM

Good things to know! I'll get a pizza to go, for now, and have my wine at home. I hope to be joining you in the Asheville area soon. Thanks for the input. We are pretty sure on the farmhouse in Alexander/Weaverville so maybe we can meet for cocktails soon!
thanks for the input...really!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:12 PM

358 posts, read 785,873 times
Good choice on the Alexander/Weaverville area. Closer to Asheville and all there is to offer. South of 25/70,Flint hill rd. area is beautifull,rolling hills and views that go on forever. Just don't get to close to the landfill.
Wife and I reinvented ourselves seventeen years ago when we moved from northern Il. Quite a culture shock but in a good way......we love the deversity,something sorely missing in N. IL. and we still don't know whats around the next mountain. Always an adventure. Don

Old 01-18-2010, 10:53 AM

121 posts, read 278,005 times
I agree that the HWY 25/70 corridor has beautiful laying land with great views and in my opinion will have a lot of appreciation when things pick up. I consider one of the next growth corridors in that area.
Brian

Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Its always good to hear from other people who have taken that blind leap of faith in a new area. Diversity sounds refreshing. I didn't know about he landfill, thanks, good info. Im glad to hear this is a desirable area. Unfortunately we have to wait for our property here to sell first and no one wants to look in snow and freezing weather... so maybe we will get lucky in Spring.

Looking for greener pastures (literally!)
Judi

Old 02-02-2010, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 11,980 times
Cool not dry here !!!!!!!!!!!!

come to spruce pine ,about ten miles north of burnsville.plenty of booze here.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,946 times
Hi Judi! I'm a farmhouse lover!!!! I bought a fixer upper in Avery County in 2005. There is nothing imo more charming and cozy than a farmhouse! Good luck! Annie

Old 05-06-2010, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 8,272 times
Judi,

My wife and I live in Burnsville and we love it. We are young, I'm 30 and she is 27 and find the town to be wonderful. We do need some more places to eat as most of what we have shuts down fairly early and is not open on Sundays. Sunday here is truly a day of rest. The town just passed alcohol sales so we now have wine, beer, and an ABC store coming soon!! To sum up the way of life here: slow, friendly, safe, and well beautiful. We are hoping that the town will flurish with the new alcohol sales and the new hwy being built. I work in Asheville and it usually takes about 40 minutes to get there, so its not that bad. I would recommend a 4x4 for the winters here. This past winter was a bit snowy, well a lot snowy and a good 4x4 is needed. There is just something about living out in the country near a small town all alone up here in the mtns. So if you have any questions feel free to ask. And how did you hear of Burnsville anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina