Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 AM

440 posts, read 1,094,111 times

Advertisements

Ok...how about "Burnsville"....anyone have any info insight they would like to share with me on that area? Do they get snow? Thanks! ~*~ Painted Lady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,025,882 times
Yes to snow, Burnsville is around 2,800 feet above sea level.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,925,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedLady View Post
Ok...how about "Burnsville"....anyone have any info insight they would like to share with me on that area? Do they get snow? Thanks! ~*~ Painted Lady
It's a "quaint" town, if that's what you're looking for. There is one decent restaurant that I'm aware of, and they do have a little theater.

It's not exactly a cultural center . . . unless you're comparing it to Busick or Micaville . . . . . . but if you're looking for a small town that does have a few amenities (grocery stores, restaurants etc.), you might like it. Slow pace of living with lots of surrounding natural beauty, that's for sure.

I've never lived there so I can't say anything about the people.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times
Love to visit the area

Burnsville, North Carolina - Yancey County Chamber of Commerce

There is apparently only one high school:

Mountain Heritage HS - Our School

Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There is apparently only one high school:

Mountain Heritage HS - Our School
There's only around 20,000 folks in the entire county.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
There's only around 20,000 folks in the entire county.
Sounds like the perfect ratio of people per square mile to me!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sounds like the perfect ratio of people per square mile to me!!!
Around 60.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:06 AM

108 posts, read 384,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedLady View Post
I just moved to Burnsville! I really didn't want to be this far out (it's nearly an hour to Asheville), but in a year of looking couldn't find what I wanted in Madison County. So I figured I'd just get myself down here, fix up this little place and maybe move closer in a few years from now.

Snow? Yes. Twice in the last month I have been stuck up here on my little mountain because of snow/ice. But, like anywhere in the mountains, conditions depend on elevation, orientation, etc. You could find a relatively flat and sunny site and never have a problem.

I like the town a lot. Great fitness center. There are a lot of artists and craftspeople in Yancey, and good support for the arts and local businesses,
which I appreciate. Most of the people seem friendly, though not all. Twice I have gone into an establishment and been completely ignored (a sandwich shop and a hairdresser)... I guess they saw the CT license plate and figured if they ignored me long enough I would go away... which I did

There's pretty much everything you want here in town... except beer and wine. If we want a nice dinner or lunch out, we have to travel pretty far. And this brings us to Rt 19. Yesterday I was stuck in one spot for 24 minutes... a record, thus far! Today got stopped 3x for a total of 10 minutes. I just keep the car stocked with water, snacks and reading material... and am grateful that I don't usually have to be anywhere on time. If you did, I would think that construction would be a deal breaker. Hope that helps!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:06 PM

127 posts, read 476,826 times
I moved to Burnsville from Raleigh after taking a job in Weaverville. I tried to find a nice affordable house with acreage in the Weaverville area but could not. I found a log home on 6.5 acres with stunning views in Burnsville which we could afford.

We have been here since December 2006. The first year here my son attended the local elementary school. It was not a good year. He had been attending a private school in the Raleigh area. He is now home schooled, which has turned into a blessing in disguise. Aside from the schools we love Burnsville. My wife and I enjoy hiking on the weekends and this area has plenty of hiking trails which are never crowded. All in all we are very happy with Burnsville.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:44 AM

41 posts, read 177,828 times
From what I understand Burnsville gets the snow but does not really get those blizzard winds that say Boone and other higher elevations get. A particular mountain range blocks the winds. We love burnsville and will return, still looking for a piece of the pie in the Reserve/Preserve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina