Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 50,206 times

Advertisements

I am planning on buying a property near Little Creek road and I was wondering the weather, neighbors( friendly, etc), amenities, bears, etc.

I have a 9 month old baby and my husband is a web developer who could work from home. Is there internet service for people who live in the mountains?
Anyway, any information regarding yancey county and Burnsville would be greatly appreciated:.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 01:57 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
I can't speak for living in Burnsville I am outside of Weaverville about half hour away. It is a nice town to visit but not many amenities but there is a shopping center on 25N Lowe's, Wal-Mart, liquor store and if you keep on 25 into Weaverville you will find CVS, large Ingles Grocery and other stores. Probably BV is like most places up here folks are friendly and welcoming to newcomers. We have internet through Verizon don't know who is provider in BV. Bears are everwhere here (even seen in Asheville) and most of us have learned they are not usually dangerous and this is their home we are the intruders. A few suggestions no trash cans outside, no dog or cat food outside and don't leave bird feeders up at night ever! If you see one just go back in the house don't go close. We have several dogs so they tend to avoid our place. Hope you will like it in WNC we do!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:04 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Here is a thread link with opins/postings on 'Burnsville', found via the Search This Forum tab...
some of the info/opins may be of help to you.

We have friends that live in B'ville, but we only get there a couple times a year. Downtown is ok, smallish, but nice area, if a bit remote and removed. The big dough is up the hill at Mountain Air CC, where our friends spend summers. Very nice community, if very 'separate' from town. Give the link a read.
GL, mD

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...ille-area.html

Old 10-29-2011, 06:33 AM

358 posts, read 785,698 times
Just wondering why you are buying a home in an area you have not thoroughly investigated? If internet service is that important to your livelihood perhaps you should look elsewhere.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:07 AM

Default Thank you everyone with your input!

I appreciate all the info. you guys gave me!

I am planning on going to visit the area to get the feel of it. I have been to Weaverville and I really like it, but the houses are a bit too expensive for me. I want to buy a property and build a small cabin. I found a good price on a property in Burnsville. For what I can see, it looks beautiful.
Good to know about the bears

Old 10-30-2011, 08:22 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Good Luck hope it is what you want. Beautiful areas up this way with good people. We had some snow flurries yesterday but beautiful and sunny today the vagaries of mountain weather bring layers. Weaverville is a bit more expensive but probably some of the closest shopping to Burnsville.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:38 PM

28 posts, read 85,893 times
Hi there! I know first hand what it is like to live in Burnsville, I lived there for 4 years. Its a beautiful area with friendly people and if your husband can work from home Yancey County might just be the right fit. As I've seen other posts I must agree Burnsville is far out. For major amenities you have to go into Weaverville/Asheville which can be as little as 30 minutes away to an hour away depending on where in Burnsville you live. I currently live in Saluda, NC in Henderson county and prefer it here, still the mountains with easy access to Hendersonville & Asheville. But it just depends on what your looking for. Burnsville winters can be rough as is with most higher elevations in the TN border counties. Hope so this helps from a former Burnsville local!

Old 11-15-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Good Luck hope it is what you want. Beautiful areas up this way with good people. We had some snow flurries yesterday but beautiful and sunny today the vagaries of mountain weather bring layers. Weaverville is a bit more expensive but probably some of the closest shopping to Burnsville.
I definitively need to go there soon. I don't really mind driving a little bit when needed.
It sounds like a nice place to live and raise children .

Old 11-15-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waydownsouth View Post
Hi there! I know first hand what it is like to live in Burnsville, I lived there for 4 years. Its a beautiful area with friendly people and if your husband can work from home Yancey County might just be the right fit. As I've seen other posts I must agree Burnsville is far out. For major amenities you have to go into Weaverville/Asheville which can be as little as 30 minutes away to an hour away depending on where in Burnsville you live. I currently live in Saluda, NC in Henderson county and prefer it here, still the mountains with easy access to Hendersonville & Asheville. But it just depends on what your looking for. Burnsville winters can be rough as is with most higher elevations in the TN border counties. Hope so this helps from a former Burnsville local!
Thank you for your help!

I will also check out the Henderson county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina