Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 06:59 PM

756 posts, read 1,655,624 times

Advertisements

Went back today and revisited a house I like but Mrs. Friendly had thought wouldn't work because of narrow road with steep drop and long sloping driveway. Not to mention 3 floors. Today, she like it enough that we are starting research into buying it. The seller increased the lot size from 1.54 acres to 2.67 acres. The three floors aren't as big an issue since she would rarely need to be in the basement (where I would put my office).

We sent a Realtor some questions and asked her if she has any problem being our confidential agent. Burnsville is small enough that everyone knows everyone and she and the builder know each other. She seems like a professional who can be trusted, but one never knows.

*shrug* We are looking and questioning. No commitments yet, too many questions. But at least we are moving forward a little bit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 PM

442 posts, read 1,510,912 times
Guy - Have you looked around Marshall and Mars Hill? There is a new green community above the town of Marshall that looks interesting.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Guy - Have you looked around Marshall and Mars Hill? There is a new green community above the town of Marshall that looks interesting.
Yes, we looked at Mars Hill and thought Marshall was too remote. Neither area had what we wanted. This one in Burnsville is 15 minutes from downtown and just 25 or so from UNCA - and that will be faster after 19 is widened to 4 lanes.

This Burnsville home will be the one if the price is right and all the questions are answered as we hope.

But first things first... we have stopped looking elsewhere while we dig deeper into this one. If it fails crucial tests, we will start looking again.

Had an AWESOME day with the Parkies today and could almost live with them forever. Best. friends. I. ever. had.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:05 PM

34 posts, read 72,465 times
Hi John,

The porch looks beautiful; seems like the perfect spot for a "porch crawl," a summer tradition we were introduced to in Charlotte a few years back.

Good luck with your research on the potential purchase. I'm hoping to buy our house before the April 30th "repeat buyer" program ends. The tax credit is somewhat motivating, but I wouldn't buy a place just to "save" a few thousand dollars (though it would pay to ship our furniture from San Diego). I'm looking down Hendersonville/Laurel Park-way these days and seeing lots of great houses.

Regards,
Marjorie

Give my best to Jan and Bill.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:10 AM

Will do, Marjorie. Yes, that $6,500 is attractive but not a reason to buy in haste; I agree! We like Hendersonville but could not find anything (yet) that was exciting for us. If the Burnsville home falls through for any reason, it will send us looking again and Hendersonville is one target!

You can almost NOT go wrong in WNC. Every place has great people and something attractive about it. I love this area!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:03 AM

765 posts, read 2,571,007 times
John--if you do decide to refocus on Hendersonville you mihgt want to look out around Dupont Forest just west of town. The area is beautiful there and Dupont Forest is a great place for hiking, biking, fishing, and photography. It is close to Hville, yet feels very remote. The downside ofr your wife might be that because it is on the wet side of town it takes longer to get anywhere near Asheville--Larry

Old 03-08-2010, 06:22 AM

Thanks, Larry. We found a couple nice places not far from Dupont, but they were 35 minutes into H'ville and Mrs. Friendly didn't like the idea of driving those remote roads at night - especially because cell phone went in and out that way.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 AM

We heard back from the Realtor already - she is very good! We got the plat map, the CC&Rs, the house floor plan with measurements, etc. With the land the builder promised us, it looks like we would have almost 4.5 acres to go with the house - a good buffer to the southwest and southeast. The North is already a clear view and won't be developed more than it is - and is much lower than our house anyway.

There would be houses built to our south, probably two of them (one on each side of the drive in), but we would really only look south when we were driving out anyway. Our privacy would in no way be compromised.

The only bad news is that the road in will not be widened. It is only 1.5 cars wide and no place to pull off the road if you meet someone coming in. That means if you meet another car, one of you backs up on that curve that has a steep drop-off on one side. Perhaps the POA, when fully formed, can address that need.

With the added 3 acres of land to the original listing, I doubt we can offer much below the $299 asking price, but to me, it is worth it. The house has a priceless west-view of sunsets and mountains.

This is where the house is, looking north (the front door faces south, towards the camera).

This is the road in, gravel, that is wide enough for construction trucks, but two MINI Coopers wouldn't fit side by side on.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:48 AM

442 posts, read 1,510,912 times
Guy - Is there anyone above you? Would cars be coming up are far as your house if the other houses will be below? That setting is beyond gorgeous - and private. Looks like you have lots of evergreens - or maybe some of those are hemlock? That price seems really great for that much land (and very little grass to mow which is our goal, too!) Keep us posted - but if you have to live with the Parkies for the rest of your life I guess that would be ok!!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Guy - Is there anyone above you? Would cars be coming up are far as your house if the other houses will be below? That setting is beyond gorgeous - and private. Looks like you have lots of evergreens - or maybe some of those are hemlock? That price seems really great for that much land (and very little grass to mow which is our goal, too!) Keep us posted - but if you have to live with the Parkies for the rest of your life I guess that would be ok!!
Yes, there would be 10 homes in the development, two above us on the road coming down, but each set back into 3 acres of land. Privacy won't be an issue.

Lots of trees: hemlock, FOUR apple trees, evergreen, and more. And NO grass to mow!

We are on our way back to Burnsville right now to meet with the agent. If she is the one for us, we may sign with her today and start the inspection stage.

This is EXCITING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina