Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times

Advertisements

Curious what folks' experiences have been with either Frontier DSL or Country Cablevision cable modem services in the Yancey Co. area, ideally around the Mt. Mitchell Golf Course/NC-80 stretch of the county, but any feedback welcome. Good experiences, bad experiences? And how are the speeds?

In Durham, Frontier does not have a good reputation but wondering if service is better there; the max speeds are faster at a lower price for Frontier than Country Cablevision, but I wonder if the quality will be reliable.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 PM

118 posts, read 234,978 times
I'm in Mitchell County and have Country Cablevision. Although I haven't run a speed test, I am happy with them. I watch streaming video over a wireless adapter with no problems.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 PM

113 posts, read 276,268 times
We're on Country Cablevision here in Western Yancey Co. and have been pleased with it. The connection is reliable and when you do have to call them, you get a real person. Performance is good. Uploads are a bit slow, but for consumption (ie - downloads), it works really well. We often have kids gaming and multiple devices streaming video all at once. I am comfortable enough with it to rely on it several days / week for work - never had a long-term outage in the 7+ years we've been here.

Only complaint is that they tack on a $10/month "line access fee" for non-TV subscribers.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:51 AM

Thank you both for the feedback. Upload speed would be nice but this is a vacation home, can live with slow uploads as long as downloads are good, especially since my wife will need to do work-from-home on 2-or 3-day weekend visits, so Internet is essential.

I too noticed the $10 line access fee. I've been on the fence about using them for video as I'm not thrilled by the channel lineup, pricing, or fees for HD. OTOH, I don't want to deal with satellite receivers at each outlet and don't really want to deal with two providers.

We are planning to purchase a Verizon cell repeater and possibly a home phone option, either through Country Cablevision or through Ooma. That does mean that all communications would be through CATV. Sounds like reliability has not been a problem?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Old 06-29-2013, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 12,653 times
I've had Country Cablevision for internet and TV for years with no problems. I always felt better about keeping Frontier for my landline phone since cable does go out on occasion (but not too often). Service at mt. mitchell Lands has been good from both, so don't worry.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:51 AM

Thanks Warren for the additional feedback. We got Country Cablevision set up last week. Have been very happy with the service (both technical and customer). Upload speeds are a bit slow causing some pain with cell phone extender and VoIP, but generally a very good service, and great people to work with.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,869 times
Country Cable Vision was the only option for us (near Celo, NC) for the first 6 years or so we lived here (2002 - 2010). However, we were paying over $60 a month for just the internet service. Frontier extended a two-line DSL to our home and it is TWICE the speed of CCV... 14-Mbps as opposed to CCV's 5(+-)Mbps - for only $20 a month (bundled with phone). Much faster and very reliable. DSL has evolved in the last 5 years, and is much improved. The strength and line are 'dedicated', not shared as with cable. We are VERY satisfied - and are able to run two HDTVs in the house at the same time. Also, tech service is quick with American techs. (only needed tech help twice in the past two years). Highly recommend if it's available.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephladder View Post
Country Cable Vision was the only option for us (near Celo, NC) for the first 6 years or so we lived here (2002 - 2010). However, we were paying over $60 a month for just the internet service. Frontier extended a two-line DSL to our home and it is TWICE the speed of CCV... 14-Mbps as opposed to CCV's 5(+-)Mbps - for only $20 a month (bundled with phone). Much faster and very reliable. DSL has evolved in the last 5 years, and is much improved. The strength and line are 'dedicated', not shared as with cable. We are VERY satisfied - and are able to run two HDTVs in the house at the same time. Also, tech service is quick with American techs. (only needed tech help twice in the past two years). Highly recommend if it's available.
Steph -- thanks for the note and feedback. I should also update, as it's been a year since my thread. We've been on CCVN for a year with generally good experiences. However, I did call Frontier about two weeks ago about getting higher speeds.

They told me I was limited to 3 Mb/s down, 512 Kb/s up. Might be distance from the central office, but I didn't explore a two-line solution. Are they charging you for two landlines to get this speed? We pay about $45/mo. to them for landline to ensure we have reliable phone service to the house. If I could get a second line for DSL plus ~7-10 Mb/s service for $65 that is intriguing. Did you work with a local Frontier support group or the national support organization?

On the other hand, I am happy to have stuck with CCVN so far because they're locally owned, and especially because they are upgrading to fiber optic in the county. I believe southeastern Yancey, where Celo and Busick are, are slated for mid-2015. The great thing there is it will offer symmetric 25/25, 50/50, and 100/100 speeds that are impossible over copper phone lines (or over CCVN's current coax network, for that matter.)

Frontier has put money into their assets but also inherited what I gather to be historically disinvested assets from old GTE/Verizon and other companies. CCVN has been 100% reliable for us, with no outages from what I can tell during vacation/weekend visits or when accessing my home through remote home automation tools.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,364 times
We're moving to Burnsville right after Christmas (on Hwy 80 South between Micaville and Celo) and we've been told that Country Cablevision is the company to go with for tv(basic cable - 60 tv stations)/internet/phone (landline). Their website says this bundle will cost $109.97/mo. + tax. Can anyone tell me what the total cost runs for this bundle (with the tax)?

Also, right now we have Cellular South, but we know we'll need to change cell phone companies. What's the best cell phone company for the Burnsville/South Toe area?

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2014, 09:25 PM

61 posts, read 103,688 times
Be aware that CCVN caps their service, while Frontier does not. Even if you were able to get fiber to your home you are still capped. (why I won't be signing up for that service)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina