Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:28 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy G View Post
We lived in Maggie Valley for 6 years, having moved up there from WPB back in 2000....
There are some very good points about the Maggie, Waynesville area for sure....
"UNFORTUNATELY"", there are some negative ones also....
>>>>>IT'S QUITE BACKWARD OVER THERE<<<<<
It starts with the statement that the Ingles [food store] manager gave me, about their store on Russ avenue....
HE SAID.....That's all that shopped there was a bunch of country folk, and they didn't need to stock other types of mechandise....
If you move there, you gotta be one of them....county folk...
They don't take kindly to none of them there city folk from Florida....they don't like them....
Most of the banks are local....NO big city banks for them's there...
NO major stores outside Lowe's and Wal-Mart....
Lousyest food shopping around....Winn-Dixie couldn't even make it....leaving just Ingles, Bi-low & Food Lion [yuke]....
They don't even have a good shopping center, of any kind....PERIOD....

They've got the Hart theatre...which is very good...They got Haywood Regional Med. Cntr...[excelllent]...Their fitness center is one of the best ANYWHERE....

Liquor laws are bazaar!!!!...The Baptists have got the county totally screwed up....Baptist churches everywhere.....enough already!!!!

I lived in WPB area since 1980, and as of 2005, NO LONGER FREQUENT IT ANYMORE...PERIOD.....TO CROWED....TOO """"EVERYTHING"""

We sold our place in Maggie 2 years ago, and now reside in Hendersonville...
MUCH MORE CIVILIZED, AND MUCH BETTER ATTITUDE OF RESIDENTS....
I would love to live in Maggie Valley for most of reason you listed above. I want to be one of those "country folk". I don't want to change anything there. And how lucky to have to so many Baptist Churches for me to pick from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 02:01 PM

132 posts, read 126,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I would love to live in Maggie Valley for most of reason you listed above. I want to be one of those "country folk". I don't want to change anything there. And how lucky to have to so many Baptist Churches for me to pick from.
Be honest with me NOW!!!!
Do I detect a connection, between the "two"???? [LOL]

In Hendersonville, there is a multitude of different churches to choose...
As well, as many major banks, and shopping....
I just find the outlet selection that much MORE!!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 11:24 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,176 times
In defense of Waynesville, we've spent a lot of time there and our experiences and impressions have been much more positive than yours seem to have been. It just proves that no place is a perfect fit for everyone. Although we like Waynesville, it looks like you have landed in a good spot as well.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:58 AM

Reply to Chisoxfan;

Having lived right on the Maggie Valley city limits, I must admit, that I rarely went into the town itself....
There is nothing there....""PERIOD""
Outside of Teague's superette gas station, there isn 't even a food store..
It's just a bunch of ticky-tacky tourist crap, selling stuffed & wood carved bears.
OH Yes!!! There are rows, and rows of trailer park campers....Kinda like gypsies of the night who all disappear on November 1st...
Then, you top if off, with the "INVASION" of motorcylces 3 or 4 times a year...when you have maybe 5 - 10,000 motorcyles roomm, rooommmm, rooommmming up and down Soco road....YOU CAN'T EVEN HEAR YOURSELF THINK!!!!
Maggie Valley is a tourist town...PLAIN & SIMPLE....
It's fine, ""IF"" you want to be one of them....BUT...If you want to live there....IT GET OLD REALLY QUICK....
As far a Waynesville, is concerned....It's basically a nice little town, of country folk....Locals rarely shop on Main St....Mostly for tourist, and Florida transplants...Russ Ave, is reaching total grid-lock during season, and city fathers don't know wnat to do....
As I said before...Waynesville, has """NO"" shopping outside of Belk's...
It would seam, that the major retailers are telling you something, about the community...THAT THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BUSINESS TO SUPPORT ANY TYPE OF COMMITMENT TO DEVELOPMENT.....
The Mountaineer, ran some articles earlier this year, showing the breakdown of homeownership....It basically confirmed that nearly 60% of the homes in Haywood county, were second homes. owned by Floridians, and the like....
NO MATTER WHICH WAY YOU SLICE IT....IT SHOWS THAT WAYNESVILLE/MAGGIE/HAYWOOD CTY ARE TOURIST COMMUNITIES....
and NOT to be confused with communities with solid bases...

Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Maggie Valley/Waynesville area is not for everyone. Sounds like it was not for you. I probably won't be able to ever afford to live there, but I would love to. I don't care that there isn't much there, I don't care there aren't places to go power shopping, that's not what draws me there.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:18 AM

518 posts, read 2,226,176 times
Well, you like Hendersonville, I like Waynesville. I've been to Brevard but not to Hendersonville, so who knows, maybe I'm really missing out. For now, I think we should agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:25 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Remember the East Waynesville Baptist Church threw out some life long members because when the pastor told any members who had supported John Kerry in the 2004 election to leave. Nine members of the church did. The pastor then allegedly declared an impromptu business meeting, and a majority of the 20 church members present voted to expel those who left.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:50 AM

94 posts, read 227,390 times
Good grief. I remember that, but didn't remember just where it was.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:02 AM

LET'S AGREE, THAT WAYNESVILLE, IS A QUAINT LITTLE TOWN!!!!!!

""BUT"", if you want to do any shopping outside of Ingles, or WalMart, you gotta go into Asheville, or somewhere else!!!!!

What's that old saying????

>>"""IF WALMART AIN'T GOT IT....YOU PROBABLY DON'T NEED IT""<<<< [LOL]

Old 12-16-2007, 03:09 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Well they do have a Mast General Store in Waynesville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina