Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:47 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times

Advertisements

Waynesville Pavilion is a grocery-anchored retail center proposed for the northwest quadrant of Russ Avenue and Frazier Street in the town of Waynesville in Haywood County, North Carolina. It would surround Sagebrush Steakhouse, 895 Russ Avenue, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-4147.

Waynesville Pavilion site plan

A 49,098-square-foot Publix supermarket with a pharmacy drive thru is projected to anchor Waynesville Pavilion. ("Publix speculated for Russ Avenue at Frazier Street, Waynesville, North Carolina.")

Further reading
Hart, Kelsay. "Ask 13: Grocery store plans fuel Publix rumors." Waynesville, North Carolina: WLOS-TV. 15 May 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 06:56 AM

The Waynesville Planning Board approved Waynesville Pavilion at its Monday, 15 May 2017, meeting.

Further reading
Kracher, Frank. "Planning board OKs unnamed Russ Avenue project." Waynesville, North Carolina: WLOS-TV. 15 May 2017.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:44 AM

4,792 posts, read 10,617,090 times
Interesting...
We were just shopping at the redone larger Ingles in Waynesville: that store reinforces why bigger is not always better, in terms of getting around in it, finding what one shops for, etc.

Standing in the parking lot of that Ingles and looking across to the odd shaped, very sloped elevation parking lot where this new building project may go, one wonders how they will cram that sq ft footprint into that existing area.

I am not a NIMBY or un-progressive person, but I repeat my original comments on a possible Publix there: most of the local pop will not shop there, (pricing across the board), the traffic in that stretch of Russ Avenue is currently packed from pre lunch through dinner/early evening, and one has to scratch one's head and wonder 'why' would Pub want to be 'there'?

The old Kmart plaza, less than a half mile up the street, makes more sense to me, if Publix really believes they can run a slightly profitable store in Waynesville, but I'm not on Pub's or the Town's board(s).
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 05-16-2017 at 01:08 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 02:07 PM

Existing tenants and structures on the proposed Waynesville Pavilion site will either relocate or be razed.

I see Waynesvillians shopping at Ingle's and Publix rather than BI-LO.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:32 PM

I see Waynesville people shopping at Ingles, and down mkt...
Some of us that are fortunate/comfortable will hit Publix, as well some of the summer seasonal that are/were long time FL rez and have become accustomed to Pub.

I hope it is a Publix and that they succeed, but their usual pricing levels that I am familiar with will cater to/attract a small slice of Haywood County rez, imo.

Back at the Planning Ranch, that section of Russ Ave from the Smoky Mtn Express ramps south to Main Street, are already packed and it's only mid May. Publix and other stores in that Waynesville Pavilion site will only add to the considerable traffic.

But, the Town Council/Aldermen are aware of the traffic situ, I hope.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:09 PM

Publix and Ingle's have similar prices.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 PM

Not in my decade and a half of shopping in both brand stores...

A W'ville Pub may have to adjust their usual pricing, downward.

Save me the Mkt Basket comparo research...based on what we buy, Pub is higher on nearly every item, some items considerably higher.

Better 'quality' at Pub? Yes, on some stuff. I doubt the usual local shopper here cares, notices or wants that Pub friendly service and higher pricing.
My point is that the average demographic of Waynesville is not seeking Publix prices, in general.

When was the last time you shopped in the Waynesville Ingles or a Pub in the two state area?

I wonder what your inducement is, but I wish you well...

Last edited by motordavid; 05-16-2017 at 07:32 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 12:31 AM

I shop at Ingle's and Publix often. There is hardly any difference in price. Publix does not have a card program.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:01 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
Carolinaknight

You seem to be up on these business plans. Do you know if ingles is opening many stores in the Knoxville Tn area? Thanks

Old 05-17-2017, 09:42 AM

I am not aware of Ingle's planning to open additional and replacement stores in Knox County, Tennessee. That market also has supermarkets Food City, Kroger, Publix, and Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Ingle's is active improving stores in North Carolina likely with Publix opening more stores in existing trade areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina