Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 AM

26 posts, read 100,931 times

Advertisements

thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. So the mountain areas are lower in crime? I was told NOT to go to Ashville because of drugs and crime. Its so hard trying to relocate. Like I said before, if any of you all have any information or suggestions, I am willing to listen. Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 05:18 PM

73 posts, read 276,962 times
This was very interesting. We've been visiting Waynesville for maybe 30 years and have watched it mature. Right now, it is my favorite place in the world. We have a small property just 5 miles from Main Street and hope to either build there or buy somewhere else within the next year or so.

I have been getting the local newspaper for about 10 years. Waynesville is everything the more urbanized areas of Florida aren't. (We're from the West Palm Beach area, sort of, but further north.) The pace is slower. People are kinder and more polite. While our beaches, ocean and the Loxahatchee River are beautiful, the mountains have their own beauty.

If I could live in Waynesville year round, right now, I would. We still have 1 of our 3 kids at home, but he'll graduate HS next year, go to college and then I'm out of here, at least during the spring, summer and fall. I love Waynesville and envy those who live there now!

John

Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 AM

26 posts, read 100,931 times
I love NC very much. Its a wonderful place. I am looking forward to relocating and sharing it with my family. I have been doing lots of research and talking to ppl about where is the best place to go. I am getting lots of feedback, and for that I am grateful. But I am still wondering which area is best. I am very concerned with the water shortage that the state has and especially in the middle area where Greensboro and Winston-Salem and Raliegh are all located. I dont want to go where theres no water, of course. I will continue to research and talk with folks and if anyone has anything to offer me on advise, information or anything what so ever, I would appreciate it. I am looking for an area that is still decent but not far from conviences and that I can work in daycare or preschool. I have a degree and want to work with kids. My husband does construction/building but has also done insurance and home sales in the past.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:42 AM

25 posts, read 55,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
I live in Waynesville. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Scenery is spectacular, people are friendly and helpful. I'd recommend it to anyone who is prepared to enjoy what is there and be willing to drive 20-25 minutes to big shopping (in Asheville).

If you have any specific questions, you can feel free to PM me. I'll answer what I can...and if I can't... I have other sources I can ask.

Good luck
Hey everyone in Western NC! After reading these posts I'm very excited to head up and look around. My husband and I are 40 yrs. old, no children and are looking to relocate. He has a job interview and we'll be crushed if he doesn't get it! But in the interim, going to see if we can actually find something affordable in the area.

JBird22, (or anyone else in the area) can you tell us what the cost of living is like and what the appreciation rates are? Or, do you have a Realtor that you could recommend to show us around?

We are concerned that we may not be able to find friends that we have things in common with given the tourist destination. Are there a lot of full-timers? We love to hike, have two dogs and generally are "small town" types but do like a good meal and a night out now and again.

Any help from anyone would be very much appreciated!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,108 times
Default Waynesville Sucks

If you are happily married, then that is another matter. But if you are single, you can forget meeting any interesting men here. There are also no jobs and the community does have more crime than they want you to know. If you want to go shopping (for anything other than groceries) you have to drive 30 miles to Asheville which still has limited possibilities in retail. Only a few months ago, the city of Waynesville passed "liqour by the drink", but there are still no places to buy a mixed drink. There are only redneck bars with rednecks who drink too much beer and there is only one decent place to eat. The population is made up of mostly retired folks who want to play golf, and local yokles. There is no intellectual life here and a well established "good ole boy" network. If you are not from one of the old families (which I am), they will look at you with suspicion and distrust. Most of the crime is commited from all the rif-raf that has floated here from Florida over the last 40 years, and there is no end to that flow from the sunshine state. Electricity and other ulitilies are high here, as are property taxes. There is no industry here. So, in summary, if you are thinking of moving here, don't expect much in the way of a social life, jobs, interesting people or intellectual stimulus.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,108 times
If you are happily married, then that is another matter. But if you are single, you can forget meeting any interesting men here. There are also no jobs and the community does have more crime than they want you to know. If you want to go shopping (for anything other than groceries) you have to drive 30 miles to Asheville which still has limited possibilities in retail. Only a few months ago, the city of Waynesville passed "liqour by the drink", but there are still no places to buy a mixed drink. There are only redneck bars with rednecks who drink too much beer and there is only one decent place to eat. The population is made up of mostly retired folks who want to play golf, and local yokles. There is no intellectual life here and a well established "good ole boy" network. If you are not from one of the old families (which I am), they will look at you with suspicion and distrust. Most of the crime is commited from all the rif-raf that has floated here from Florida over the last 40 years, and there is no end to that flow from the sunshine state. Electricity and other ulitilies are high here, as are property taxes. There is no industry here. So, in summary, if you are thinking of moving here, don't expect much in the way of a social life, jobs, interesting people or intellectual stimulus.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:31 PM

73 posts, read 276,962 times
We just got back from 5 days in Waynesville. We have some property there and were meeting with builders to see if we can a house started in the next month or two.

Waynesville is a very nice town. The downtown is very touristy, but still nice. This time, we stayed at a B&B on Main Street and walked downtown every evening to eat. Sweet Onions and Lomo grill are good for dinner. Bogarts is suprisingly good fare at reasonable prices. Nick and Nates is basically pizza, but they have very good salads.

The new Super Walmart will open in the next couple of months. Best Buy is close behind. There is talk that the old Walmart will become a Sam's Club. Lowes is already there and Home Depot is coming.

The two bar type places are O'Malleys, which used to be a full service restaurant, and Head Lights. Head Lights seems to have a younger crowd. Bogarts appears to be a more local place.

Our property is on the east side of Waynesville, about 5 miles from Main Street. We talked to some folks who are living near us and they do say they go to Asheville most weekends--it is a 30 minute drive from where we are.

We hope to have the house finished some time next year, probably in the late summer or early fall, and spend a few weeks there next year, a few more weeks the year after, and eventually half the year or more if we can afford to keep 2 homes.

But it is a beautiful area with nice people. Check it out.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,853 times
Is Waynesville a close enough community that everyone has a chance to get to know eachother?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 42,407 times
Thanks for the reply. I just became aware of it now!

Ended up buying a house in Utah.

Best wishes,

Dan

Old 01-13-2009, 08:37 AM

129 posts, read 488,875 times
Became aware of what? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina