Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 16,966 times

Advertisements

I have a thermal problem in that I get very hot and need a fan to cool off. I don't usually go out in the summer until it cools down in the evening. I'm thinking of moving from the Northeast to the mountains of western North Carolina. I've heard it was very humid, but the temperatures are cool enough that the humidity isn't felt. Is this true? Are there better places to live in NC or VA? Thanks. Jerry5010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 09:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Brevard is a excellent location. I dont find that part of the mountains undesireable with humidity due to the mountain terrain of the Pisgah Forest.
The campgrounds in that area are my favorite and there so many waterfalls too. The only time that may be undesirable might be in mid afternoon late july and early august but the evenings it feels great. I find that time of year a great time to go camping though due to the terrain controls the heat from becoming extreme.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:09 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
I'm 20 miles from Brevard and I don't think you'll have a problem with summer temps in this area. Banner Elk has the lowest summertime temperatures for populated areas of NC.

Brevard Averages - http://cirrus.dnr.state.sc.us/cgi-bin/sercc/cliMAIN.pl?nc1055 (broken link)

Banner Elk Averages - http://cirrus.dnr.state.sc.us/cgi-bin/sercc/cliMAIN.pl?nc0506 (broken link)

The most important single influence contributing to the variability of North Carolina climate is altitude. In all seasons of the year, the average temperature varies more than 20 degrees Fahrenheit (° F) from the lower coast to the highest elevations. The average annual temperature at Southport on the lower coast is nearly as high as that of interior northern Florida, while the average on the summit of Mount Mitchell is lower than that of Buffalo, New York.

The average relative humidity does not vary greatly from season to season but is generally the highest in winter and lowest in spring. The lowest relative humidities are found over the southern Piedmont, where the year around average is about 65 percent. The highest are along the immediate coast, averaging around 75 percent. The least amount of actual moisture is found in the higher mountains. The lower temperatures, however, result in relative humidities that are about the same as elsewhere in the State.

National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

Last edited by mm34b; 03-31-2007 at 10:35 AM..

Old 03-31-2007, 03:00 PM

474 posts, read 2,193,012 times
Brevard is basically in a rain forest atmosphere ... sorry to "rain" on your parade. It rains more in Brevard than about anywhere in WNC. Brevard is in Transylvania County, home of more waterfalls than anywhere in the state, if not the southeast. Yes, it is humid and sticky quite often. It is a haven for trout and fly fisherman in the rivers in that County. There is plenty of information on Transylvania County to substantiate this. Maybe some other locals can add to this topic.

Average annual rainfall in Brevard area is: 80" + (from the Transylvania County website)

Last edited by Apple Annie; 03-31-2007 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Added rainfall amount

Old 03-31-2007, 03:13 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,909,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Brevard is a excellent location. I dont find that part of the mountains undesireable with humidity due to the mountain terrain of the Pisgah Forest.
The campgrounds in that area are my favorite and there so many waterfalls too. The only time that may be undesirable might be in mid afternoon late july and early august but the evenings it feels great. I find that time of year a great time to go camping though due to the terrain controls the heat from becoming extreme.
Ditto! This post gives a good description!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:21 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,667 times
I'd agree with Annie that it is quite rainy in Brevard. Have you thought about the mountains in Virginia? It is less populated, cheaper, and cooler. Maybe you could head down the Blue Ridge Parkway and take in all the possibilities.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:39 PM

46 posts, read 246,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Ditto! This post gives a good description!
My sister lives in Brevard (on the outskirts in a community that has a higher elevation than town). She loves it there and I've been there in the summer and in her community it is cooler and humidity is not bad.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 36,615 times
Default Making a move to NC!!????

Trying to get some feed back on the "best" small to medium towns in NC. We are looking at Rutherfordton, Tryon, Black Mountian, Swannanoa, Woodfin and Weaverville. As you can see it is overwhelming me!! We are in the Central Florida area (have been for all our life) and are ready for a move. The heat, no seasons and the crime is out of control. We want a small/medium friedly town (nice downtown area) but our 3 young adult children will be coming with us, I guess we need a coffee shop or two if you get my drift
We have been spoiled in the CFL area we drive less than 5 miles each way to work and jobs are plentiful but it's still not worth it to stay!!
Any help would be great!
Thanks~

Old 04-17-2007, 03:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerp View Post
Trying to get some feed back on the "best" small to medium towns in NC. We are looking at Rutherfordton, Tryon, Black Mountian, Swannanoa, Woodfin and Weaverville. As you can see it is overwhelming me!! We are in the Central Florida area (have been for all our life) and are ready for a move. The heat, no seasons and the crime is out of control. We want a small/medium friedly town (nice downtown area) but our 3 young adult children will be coming with us, I guess we need a coffee shop or two if you get my drift
We have been spoiled in the CFL area we drive less than 5 miles each way to work and jobs are plentiful but it's still not worth it to stay!!
Any help would be great!
Thanks~

My vote would be for Weaverville

Old 04-17-2007, 10:53 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerp View Post
We want a small/medium friedly town (nice downtown area) but our 3 young adult children will be coming with us, I guess we need a coffee shop or two if you get my drift
Have you looked into Waynesville? Downtown is delightful, and it has at least two excellent coffee shops -- neither of which is part of the Starbucks empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina