Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:47 PM

3,300 posts, read 9,193,012 times

Advertisements

My family had a mountain home in Cedar Mtn, NC (just south of Brevard) and I spent most of the first 20 summers of my life there. Yes, it can get warm but it can also get cool...humidity was never an issue for us since we lived in Greenville, SC the rest of the time. I can remember having the fireplace going most of the summer while spending my time in Cedar Mtn. (Yes, it got cool enough to enjoy a fire).

Don't know what the average temp is/was according to the weather channels but I can remember going out and looking at the temp in the early evening just before the sun went down and seeing it below 75. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 02:33 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,012,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Don't know what the average temp is/was according to the weather channels but I can remember going out and looking at the temp in the early evening just before the sun went down and seeing it below 75. Liz
http://cirrus.dnr.state.sc.us/cgi-bin/sercc/cliMAIN.pl?nc1055 (broken link)

Old 04-20-2007, 12:20 PM

5 posts, read 36,620 times
We like Waynesville but it might be a little pricey, also heard it may not be open to floridians. We plan on taking a weekend and visiting Weaverville, Black Mountain and maybe onto Franklin...
Any comments on that area?

Old 04-20-2007, 11:37 PM

518 posts, read 2,227,487 times
We like Franklin a lot (in fact, we will be staying at a friend's cabin there next week). It's big enough to have whatever amenities you might need, yet still has a small-town feel. The real estate market doesn't seem quite as expensive as many of the surrounding areas, though I haven't researched it in great detail. Franklin isn't particularly close to any city, but it's a relatively easy drive to both Asheville and Atlanta.
A former co-worker of mine owns a B&B in Weaverville; we visited there about six years ago. I remember the town as being very nice, and you can't beat it if you want easy access to Asheville. My guess is it's grown a lot since we visited.
Haven't really been to Black Mountain, but I think it's been covered if you do a search on the these boards.
I would agree that Waynesville is pricey. You pretty much had to buy a few years ago to get land at a reasonable price (though my real estate agent friend there says things are slowing there as a ripple effect from the slump in Florida). We're Floridians and have never had an unpleasant experience with anyone there (or anywhere else in western North Carolina, for that matter). Considering some of the rudeness we encounter down here, western North Carolinians are a nice change whenever we visit.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:49 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,261,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
Have you looked into Waynesville? Downtown is delightful, and it has at least two excellent coffee shops -- neither of which is part of the Starbucks empire.
Waynesville is adorable. In fact when I move those are the two towns I am leaning towards. Both have so much appeal. Waynesville because of its beauty and higher altitude, and quaint main street. And Brevard has a lot to offer as well. Can't decide. Price of housing and job access also plays a role. I am a nurse and I know Brevard has a hospital right in town. I know this has been discussed before but I always love to talk about WNC. I have done a lot of camping, backpacking and hiking in these areas. I do know the Davidson River campground outside Brevard is lower and is usually warmer than many other areas but it is still very pleasant IMO. I don't think one could go wrong with either choice. Brevard has the college which I believe offers a lot if that is of interest to you.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:52 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,261,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerp View Post
We like Waynesville but it might be a little pricey, also heard it may not be open to floridians. We plan on taking a weekend and visiting Weaverville, Black Mountain and maybe onto Franklin...
Any comments on that area?
May I ask what you mean by "may not be open to floridians?"

Old 06-12-2007, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,641 times
Could anyone tell me how liberal Brevard is.....I'm a southerner who has lived in NY for many years and would like to relocate to an upscale area. I like the four seasons, but not Asheville or Hendersonville. I hear that Carroboro NC is great. It's outside of Chapel Hill. Any info on that area as well. Thanks

Old 06-12-2007, 03:03 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,012,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptons View Post
Could anyone tell me how liberal Brevard is

Thanks
The results of the 2004 presidential election are as follows:

Transylvania County - 60% Bush

Town of Brevard - a tossup. Both Bush and Kerry received roughly half of the vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina