Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 03:33 PM

9 posts, read 59,920 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

If you had a choice in towns to live which would you pick and why? Hendersonville, Brevard, Laurel Park, Mills River, Flat Rock, or Arden/Fletcher?

We are relocating in 2007 and have visited all of these except Flat Rock and love them all. I would just love to hear from those of you who live there or have lived there, what your opinions are. My husband is in the architectural field and we have 3 kids, so we are looking for good schools and I realize my husband may need to commute a bit to work.

We just want to settle in the best area, and it is always good to get others point of view....I appreciate your time and replies...thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2006, 03:45 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
I'm in Hendersonville, but I would not have a problem with any of those choices. I really don't consider Flat Rock or Laurel Park as standalones from Hendersonville. They're more of a Hendersonville neighborhood, unlike Mills River, Arden, Fletcher or Brevard.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:32 PM

Thank you ,mm34B, for your reply, it is nice to hear from someone in Hendersonville. Do you happen to know about the schools in Hendersonville? I have one child going into middle school and one in elementary, any favorites?

And are there any areas in Hendersonville to avoid? Here we have 3 areas to our city, one ritzy, one middle class and one lower income that people are scared to drive through...I noticed Hendersonville has a few zip codes and I wondered if there were any areas like that ( people scared to drive through) though from what I read I don't sense that there is an area like that. Any advice?

You don't know how much I appreciate your info! THank you!!

Old 07-08-2006, 07:04 PM

I'm not uneasy to drive through any area of Hendersonville, Flat Rock or Laurel Park day or night, but like anywhere, some areas are better than others. The least desirable area seems to be south of town along Spartanburg Highway.

Hendersonville has 4 zip codes:

28793 (PO Boxholders Only)

As far as crime reports, 28792 is the most desirable with 28739 being the least desirable.

I've been out of the public school system for too long to offer any worthwhile insight on the subject, but here's the Henderson County Public Schools web site.

http://www.henderson.k12.nc.us/

Last edited by mm34b; 07-08-2006 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-08-2006, 08:13 PM

79 posts, read 359,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeacef
Hi there,

If you had a choice in towns to live which would you pick and why? Hendersonville, Brevard, Laurel Park, Mills River, Flat Rock, or Arden/Fletcher?

We are relocating in 2007 and have visited all of these except Flat Rock and love them all. I would just love to hear from those of you who live there or have lived there, what your opinions are. My husband is in the architectural field and we have 3 kids, so we are looking for good schools and I realize my husband may need to commute a bit to work.

We just want to settle in the best area, and it is always good to get others point of view....I appreciate your time and replies...thank you so much!

Brevard is a seperate town from Hendersonville, Laurel park is a neighborhood that is on the side of a mountain that is wooded w/ winding roads & very pretty. Flat Rock is the upscale area of Hendersonville w/ Kenmure a gated golf comunity & the flat rock Playhouse (Theater). But all these are very nice, Arden, Skyland, Fletcher are between Asheville and Hendersonville and are more Suburban (kind of South Asheville). Mills River is between Brevard and Fletcher & is formerly rural but is becoming busy? The Architecture business should be good here as they are building big $$$ houses like crazy. Don't know about schools as our kids are long ago grown. Hope this helps some.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:34 PM

You may also want to double-check any property under consideration for county, especially if the property is located outside of city limits, since property taxes, governmental fees and public school districts will vary. You can't determine that by the property's postal address.

So far, we are talking about areas in 3 different counties.

Hendersonville, Laurel Park, Flat Rock, Mills River & Fletcher - Henderson County

Brevard - Transylvania County

Arden & Skyland - Buncombe County

Last edited by mm34b; 07-08-2006 at 08:51 PM..

Old 07-08-2006, 09:05 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,019 times
We were just ripped off by a realtor in Columbus which is 20 minutes south of Hendersonville. We were using a realtor in Hendersonville and will be filing complaints for fraud with the NC state attorneys office as well as the NC Real Estate Commission.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:18 PM

Thank you , all of you for your help, I am so appreciative! I'm so sorry MrTudo for your experience, I hope all turns out well in the end for you. mm34b, your zip code info was great, just what I needed....and archtopguitar, thanks for your great info and encouragement! :0)

Old 07-17-2006, 06:59 PM

Just wondered if anyone else had anything they would like to add? :0) I am greatful for any info!

Old 08-19-2006, 04:28 AM

3 posts, read 15,597 times
do yourself a favor, avoid these areas, unless you are rich and or retired. asheville area is better in every way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina