Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:21 PM

5 posts, read 34,425 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are a self-employed family of six looking to move from Utah Rockies to North Carolina to be closer to family in Charlotte area. We've searched the internet, and have made a few trips seeing Asheville, Charlotte, Chapel Hill, Harker's Island and other places over the past few years. While we've loved every area we've visited and the people we've met, we have decided our favorite climate and scenery is in WNC. We've visited Hendersonville area, but not Brevard, and we also haven't been to Weaverville. I'm hoping if I include what we are looking for (so please bear with my long post), someone might point us in the direction they think would be a good fit or bring things to our attention we haven't thought of.

We love our small mountain town with pop. 2200 and its strong sense of community. We don't mind driving 7 miles to the grocery store, piano, violin & dance lessons or 20 miles to Walmart or 45 miles to Costco as we currently do. We enjoy seeing the sights and having access to cultural events/airport/shopping in the city--and then leaving it behind. We'd like a home with a couple of acres, fruit trees, garden, hens and trees, and preferably not have a lot of mobile homes surrounding us. We like leisurely bike rides, racquetball, hiking, swimming, taking our dog for walks, playing in the park and having friends over for dinner. We like chatting with our neighbors, so we don't want to be cut off from folks either. Our company (i.e. home) would require reliable high speed internet connection and cell phone coverage. Good schools seem to be a given as schools in Hendersonville, Weaverville and Brevard rate much higher than our UT schools anyway.

Now when we visited Hendersonville area last--here was the opinion we formed so I'd like your input please. We had made a list of all the "small towns" (i.e. Hendersonville, Flat Creek, Laurel Park, Mills River, Arden, etc.) that looked good on the internet and then when we arrived we discovered we couldn't tell when we left or entered one town to the next. Or it didn't seem like a town at all. For us it blended into one big area. We loved Hendersonville's downtown charm though. We've been wondering now if we need to adjust our way of thinking on what we're looking for--maybe what we envisioned doesn't exist? Our latest endeavors on the internet have gotten us looking at Weaverville and Brevard. Any thoughts or words of wisdom for us? Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMamaGoose View Post
Hi, we are a self-employed family of six looking to move from Utah Rockies to North Carolina to be closer to family in Charlotte area. We've searched the internet, and have made a few trips seeing Asheville, Charlotte, Chapel Hill, Harker's Island and other places over the past few years. While we've loved every area we've visited and the people we've met, we have decided our favorite climate and scenery is in WNC. We've visited Hendersonville area, but not Brevard, and we also haven't been to Weaverville. I'm hoping if I include what we are looking for (so please bear with my long post), someone might point us in the direction they think would be a good fit or bring things to our attention we haven't thought of.

We love our small mountain town with pop. 2200 and its strong sense of community. We don't mind driving 7 miles to the grocery store, piano, violin & dance lessons or 20 miles to Walmart or 45 miles to Costco as we currently do. We enjoy seeing the sights and having access to cultural events/airport/shopping in the city--and then leaving it behind. We'd like a home with a couple of acres, fruit trees, garden, hens and trees, and preferably not have a lot of mobile homes surrounding us. We like leisurely bike rides, racquetball, hiking, swimming, taking our dog for walks, playing in the park and having friends over for dinner. We like chatting with our neighbors, so we don't want to be cut off from folks either. Our company (i.e. home) would require reliable high speed internet connection and cell phone coverage. Good schools seem to be a given as schools in Hendersonville, Weaverville and Brevard rate much higher than our UT schools anyway.

Now when we visited Hendersonville area last--here was the opinion we formed so I'd like your input please. We had made a list of all the "small towns" (i.e. Hendersonville, Flat Creek, Laurel Park, Mills River, Arden, etc.) that looked good on the internet and then when we arrived we discovered we couldn't tell when we left or entered one town to the next. Or it didn't seem like a town at all. For us it blended into one big area. We loved Hendersonville's downtown charm though. We've been wondering now if we need to adjust our way of thinking on what we're looking for--maybe what we envisioned doesn't exist? Our latest endeavors on the internet have gotten us looking at Weaverville and Brevard. Any thoughts or words of wisdom for us? Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!
Personally, I'd go with Brevard - you'll think you've find a slice of heavan

Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
Also check out Black Mountain, real small but cute town, about 20 miles east of Asheville... If you're willing to sacrifice your acreage, look at the neighborhood immediately east of Lake Tomahawk. The lake has golf and tennis. We sometimes come from Asheville and take our dogs for walks around that lake, nice wide walking path, and the views from the far end are spectacular with a bench to sit on. Also, an outdoor dogshow is held a few miles down the road from time to time in the spring, we travel to it with our dogs, just to watch. In the neighborhood I'm describing in Blk Mt, you will be within walking distance of the downtown shops, art, music, really fun area to walk around. But it's quite a small town, has some run-down areas, and in winter snows you'll kinda get stuck there.

You could also consider Waynesville, might be too big, but I think you can get some land and still be part of town, more or less. It has a pleasant downtown with views of mountains from there everywhere.

As for Weaverville, it's small but is not as nice as Black Mountain, but you can get property on the outskirts. It has a small lake, old-time downtown but worn out, and a great eating place called Weaverville Milling Company. But that's about it. However, Weaverville is very close to north Asheville, so you could get to tennis, golf, Beaver Lake with its mini trail, the UNCA botanical gardens, and lots of shopping in minutes.

As for the previous poster recommending Brevard, I have been to Brevard a number of times, and it's right next to the National Park. Just as you go into Brevard, a very wooded spot, the entrance to the park is on the right, some waterfalls are up there right off the road, and trails, and if you continue on up through there, you'll wind up on the Blue Ridge Parkway and Pisgah Inn, which is nice for lunch. Brevard is pretty far away from everything, tho, not too spectacular in my opinion, but the town has basic needs, and there's a college there that has outdoor concerts in the summertime.

If you visit Black Mountain, Weaverville, and Brevard, that should help you make up your mind. But if you don't like any of those, then check out Waynesville which is about 45 minutes west of Asheville. And you can always go for the higher elevations and look into Boone, a long ways from Asheville, but it's an amazing world up there, beautiful country. But try to find out more about Black Mountain, a lot of people on this website recommend it. I almost bought there and still regret it at times. You can do a search in this forum for the names of towns you're interested in, and you'll get a bunch of posts about them.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Personally, I'd go with Brevard - you'll think you've find a slice of heavan
Thank you, loves. Today after hours of eye drying reading--I'm really liking Rutherfordton/Forest City too. How would you compare Brevard and Rutherfordton--particularly about the feel of the communities and the people?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Also check out Black Mountain, real small but cute town, about 20 miles east of Asheville...
Thank you gigimac. We looked up Black Mountain for the first time today. LOVE LOVE LOVE what we've seen about this town. We have often said we were probably being too picky because we were expecting to find our current small town somewhere else. Lo and behold we found it today! Thank you for the suggestion. I think if we choose property over town though, we may have to look elsewhere. Unfortunately the desirable places end up being more expensive. Which is another reason we're looking to move from the town we've been in for the past 11 1/2 years--still can't afford acreage here either! But my husband was especially thrilled about Black Mountain and we are definitely going to visit and check real estate next time we're there.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 33,654 times
Check out Franklin and Boone as well, both are nice towns in beautiful areas.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you, loves. Today after hours of eye drying reading--I'm really liking Rutherfordton/Forest City too. How would you compare Brevard and Rutherfordton--particularly about the feel of the communities and the people?
Well, it's kind of tough because in so many ways they have a lot in common - populations are similar (5000 and 6000) and both have a lot to offer. For me though, I like Brevard because of its more mountainous feel, scenic beauty and the presence of Brevard College. When a town has a college at its center there are just more cultural activities to be found in that town, more of an overflow of good things to the community .

Old 03-24-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, it's kind of tough because in so many ways they have a lot in common - populations are similar (5000 and 6000) and both have a lot to offer. For me though, I like Brevard because of its more mountainous feel, scenic beauty and the presence of Brevard College. When a town has a college at its center there are just more cultural activities to be found in that town, more of an overflow of good things to the community .
They all sound so great. We have our list down to Black Mountain, Brevard, Rutherford area and Weaverville though I have a feeling Weaverville might not be what we're looking for. We can't wait to come visit soon and decide. Do you think Western North Carolina is becoming over developed/populated? Our community has seen a growth rate of 50% since 2000 and boy do we "see" it. Our (previously) neighboring fields are filled with homes now. Our schools are busting at the seams too. A friend (who knows we want to move there) said she saw on TV the other night that North Carolina is a mecca that people are flocking to --especially folks from CA, NV and if I remember right, AZ. I've read lots of posts here referring to people relocating from FL, but didn't realize the extent of people relocating from elsewhere. I guess you can't keep a great place a secret long. We were a little taken aback that we may be just part of a large migration.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegerian View Post
Check out Franklin and Boone as well, both are nice towns in beautiful areas.
They do seem like nice towns. We looked into them briefly at first but decided to stay a little closer to an airport with husband's work. Thanks for bringing them up though because I had never considered Black Mountain, for example, until someone else mentioned it.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
They all sound so great. We have our list down to Black Mountain, Brevard, Rutherford area and Weaverville though I have a feeling Weaverville might not be what we're looking for. We can't wait to come visit soon and decide. Do you think Western North Carolina is becoming over developed/populated? Our community has seen a growth rate of 50% since 2000 and boy do we "see" it. Our (previously) neighboring fields are filled with homes now. Our schools are busting at the seams too. A friend (who knows we want to move there) said she saw on TV the other night that North Carolina is a mecca that people are flocking to --especially folks from CA, NV and if I remember right, AZ. I've read lots of posts here referring to people relocating from FL, but didn't realize the extent of people relocating from elsewhere. I guess you can't keep a great place a secret long. We were a little taken aback that we may be just part of a large migration.

Most of the migration is occuring in Charlotte and Raleigh - though Asheville has sure seen its share. The one good thing that is coming out of this recession is a slow down in development and building permits in all areas. Try to buy resale, not new construction - be part of the solution, not part of the problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina