Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 03:51 AM

65 posts, read 211,539 times

Advertisements

These cities have been voted good retirement places, so I am thinking that since I feel like I am still youngin lower fifties, what amenities could I enjoy there. I would absolutely love self containment, meaning I don't have to drive over a mountain and thru the woods to get to a grocery store, or a gas station. I enjoy walking, biking, and an exciting thriving downtown, which I heard these places are. I would also like to be able to go to the library, maybe take aerobics thru the parks and recreation. Live in a fairly decent neighborhood. I know this is alot to ask for but if I could get a feel for these places I would appreciate it. I would really not have to run to say Asheville to do things. If anyone could jump in here that is familiar with the area please do so. Employment would not be an issue!
I know you wonderful and insightful people can help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 PM

124 posts, read 479,363 times
Sounds like Hendersonville is the perfect fit. Like all mountain towns it is somewhat spread out and you can't really tell where it ends. The Blue Ridge Parkway is great for bike riding and there are several trails and other activities right along the trail. Golfing is very plentiful (can be somewhat expensive) but there is a fairly nice and cheap course in neary E. Flat Rock. Grocery stores and gas stations are not hard to get to.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:48 PM

46 posts, read 182,602 times
I agree Hendersonville would be a good fit. Brevard is very nice too... Brevard has a little more of that backwoods feel with a historic downtown area. Both areas are very nice and not too far from eachother. Although, they both have different feels to them. I would suggest a visit to the area to decide what atmosphere you like best. One thing that WNC does not lack are good parks and outdoor activities... I think no matter where you choose, you will find that type of activity plentiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina