Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:36 PM

55 posts, read 168,017 times

Advertisements

No comparison. Forest City ... gritty, high crime. Brevard.... snooty, low crime, expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMamaGoose View Post
Hi, we are a self-employed family of six looking to move from Utah Rockies to North Carolina to be closer to family in Charlotte area. We've searched the internet, and have made a few trips seeing Asheville, Charlotte, Chapel Hill, Harker's Island and other places over the past few years. While we've loved every area we've visited and the people we've met, we have decided our favorite climate and scenery is in WNC. We've visited Hendersonville area, but not Brevard, and we also haven't been to Weaverville. I'm hoping if I include what we are looking for (so please bear with my long post), someone might point us in the direction they think would be a good fit or bring things to our attention we haven't thought of.

We love our small mountain town with pop. 2200 and its strong sense of community. We don't mind driving 7 miles to the grocery store, piano, violin & dance lessons or 20 miles to Walmart or 45 miles to Costco as we currently do. We enjoy seeing the sights and having access to cultural events/airport/shopping in the city--and then leaving it behind. We'd like a home with a couple of acres, fruit trees, garden, hens and trees, and preferably not have a lot of mobile homes surrounding us. We like leisurely bike rides, racquetball, hiking, swimming, taking our dog for walks, playing in the park and having friends over for dinner. We like chatting with our neighbors, so we don't want to be cut off from folks either. Our company (i.e. home) would require reliable high speed internet connection and cell phone coverage. Good schools seem to be a given as schools in Hendersonville, Weaverville and Brevard rate much higher than our UT schools anyway.

Now when we visited Hendersonville area last--here was the opinion we formed so I'd like your input please. We had made a list of all the "small towns" (i.e. Hendersonville, Flat Creek, Laurel Park, Mills River, Arden, etc.) that looked good on the internet and then when we arrived we discovered we couldn't tell when we left or entered one town to the next. Or it didn't seem like a town at all. For us it blended into one big area. We loved Hendersonville's downtown charm though. We've been wondering now if we need to adjust our way of thinking on what we're looking for--maybe what we envisioned doesn't exist? Our latest endeavors on the internet have gotten us looking at Weaverville and Brevard. Any thoughts or words of wisdom for us? Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!
I've read through your entire original post and have the following to offer now. If you want to be closer to Charlotte, you don't want to be in the mountains! It's a 2-hr. ride to Charlotte one way from Hendersonville. Additionally, Laurel Park, Flat Rock etc. are villages and part of Henderson County. You need to search by county, not "town". e.g. Hendersonville is a City, and part of Henderson County, which also encompasses several little towns like Etowah, Horse Shoe, parts of Fletcher and so forth.

Take Rt. 77 north from Charlotte and you will see how it would be easier for you to commute from let's say Mooresville, or Hickory, Lincolnton etc. Areas west of Charlotte also. Belmont is beautiful, parts of Holly Springs, parts of Gaston County etc.

You don't want to be in Brevard, it will take you a half hour to simply get to I-26, then another 2 hrs. to Charlotte because you have to go down the mountain range. Fun once or twice, but that's about it.

I'd be looking in the upstate of SC .... around Greenville or Traveler's Rest, Greer is very nice.

You need to zero in on an area and get a seasoned Realtor. Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:42 PM

33 posts, read 89,219 times
You never know, ... "close" to family in Charlotte could be a relative thing. As much as I love being "close" to family a 2 hour buffer between me and them seems about right; far enough you probably won't run into them in town unexpectedly, close enough for regular visits without inconvenience, and too close that there won't be overnight stays.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 AM

I hear you neolvr ... but a 2 hr. "buffer" from the mountains here isn't like a 2 hr buffer from the flatlands. I realize you are from the western mountains, but if you are determined, then go for it. Best advice: don't isolate yourselves here.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,845 times
You mentioned that you want to find a couple of acres for gardens, fruit trees, etc. Therefore you may want to look for a home and property near several different towns before chooing. We looked for 6 months all across WNC before finding the combination of small town, proximity to culture and the land/home that worked for us. We discovered that every property was a unique combination of things that worked well for us, and things that did not work. Take your time and explore different areas before choosing. We finally found our property near a town we rejected early on. And have discovered that the town works just fine for us as we get to know people.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:24 AM

33 posts, read 173,918 times
HotMamaGoose

Anywhere in WNC is much closer to Charlotte than northern Utah. I'd look at any and all the places you have mentioned. As far as Brevard its about 20 minutes from I 26. You can scoot down I 26 to US 74 at the bottom of Warior Mtn near Columbus, NC and be in Charlotte in about 2 hrs and 15 minutes. There is no sweat there.

Good Luck in your search.

BadTiger

Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 AM

161 posts, read 516,397 times
Hi.

I was wondering if you have received my direct email message??

Old 04-08-2009, 08:34 AM

161 posts, read 516,397 times
LIZZY.

I'm NOT sure what world you live in..But FOREST CITY..is not a "high crime" area...We moved here a few years ago. It's great. In fact, this is the only place I've ever lived where I can actually run to town and leave my doors unlocked.

UNLESS you've actually lived here, with all due respect...you are sorely misinformed.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,065 times
My husband and I would like to relocate to the Western North Carolina mountain area. I am a elementary school teacher, so would need to find a teaching position. He is a self-employed general contractor, but is looking to maybe change his line of work. We are in our mid-50's. Are there any school systems in the area hiring?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:28 AM

12 posts, read 31,398 times
Default I want the same thing as the OP

I read all of the postings and my husband and I are looking for the same exact location as the OP. I live in eastern NC and my husband got a new job in south Asheville. I live in "Mayberry" pop 206 (county 10k) and we are looking for an area that can accommodate new "empty nesters" (Woo hoo!!!)

My husband is looking at 4 houses today with a realtor, two in Hendersonville, one in Leicester, and one in Fletcher. If any of them are close to what we are looking for as far as house and community, then next weekend I will be there to narrow down to our new house.

He said Hendersonville is probably the area we are looking for. We dont mind driving 30 minutes to larger shopping as long as we have something close by for milk, bread, and gas.

I guess I have some adjusting to make from being a "flatlander" to going to the mountains. In my county the most amount of traffic I see is getting behind a John Deer tractor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina