Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:48 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip to some Appalachian states this fall. I will be driving from WI and am traveling alone, I think traveling alone is nice because your at your own pace. Any ways NC is on my list, I just want to be there when the leaves change colors and are at there peak. On average when is leaf season down there? I'm planning a day or two for NC and so on so forth. I'm thinking about hitting the Blue Ridge parkway. Any must see spots there?

Thanks for any help, Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 01:39 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Too many variables to determine the peak at this point, such as altitude, rainfall, and temperature in the preceding months. My advice would be to check the posted link after Labor Day. It's updated weekly.

The Foliage Network -

Old 07-05-2008, 02:03 PM

Thanks mm34b! I'm just trying to get everything scheduled now so I can have more time to prepare. Thanks again for the link!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:27 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,392 times
Default Color in the Fall

Check Ray"s Weather Center. He is a computer science professor at Appalachian University and always has updates on the fall colors. Great photos as well. All of the Parkway is spectacular and around Grandfather Mountain is unbelievable. That is where the Viaduct is. Linville through Blowing Rock is usually earlier color than around Asheville.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:59 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,022 times
We were in Waynesville from Oct. 8-12 last year. The leaves hadn't yet turned much in town, where the elevation range is 2,500-3,000 feet, but there was a lot of color at the higher elevations on the Parkway near Richland Balsam and Waterrock Knob. Our friends up there told us that we missed the really spectacular colors by about a week. As mentioned previously, a lot will depend on temperatures and precipitation leading up to October.

Last edited by chisoxfan; 07-05-2008 at 10:09 PM..

Old 07-05-2008, 10:39 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Default Based on our experiences

In coming up for the autumn colors over the last 25 years. You would have a pretty good shot at peak colors sometime during the last two weeks of October. But you never can be sure. One year, our trip got delayed. Passed through NC on our way to Ohio the last week of Oct and everything was pretty much green. Came back after a week in Ohio and the leaves were turning and after a couple of more days there the color was just great. If you are trying to pin it down to a couple of days and need to plan in advance, all you can do is schedule your trip with an educated guess and hope for the best. But in coming down from WI, you ought to see some pretty good color along the way, even if it isn't peak in the mountains.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:52 AM

Thanks guys and gals!

Old 07-06-2008, 04:01 PM

905 posts, read 3,454,359 times
Come to the mountains in the 3rd or 4th week of Oct and you will find color. Just be flexible on where you will be visiting!

Old 07-08-2008, 06:37 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times
JRR gave good advice. In Asheville, leaves rarely change before the 20th and rarely continue after Halloween, altho last year they went into Nov. In the northern parts of the state, up near Boone, the change happens sooner at higher elevations. So, if you're traveling from up north, you'll get an eyefull the whole way down, if you time it to hit Asheville about the 25th maybe. Expect a lot of slower traffic in places. But the "peak" time for leaves is indeed hit and miss, and sometimes a good rain will bring them all down, and sometimes the show is more impressive one year to the next.

The entire Blue Ridge Parkway is spectacular, nice 45mph drive, some really high places, cliff-dropping curves, lots of pull-offs, broken up by more normal sorts of traveling, all two lanes...one going one way and the other going the other way. Stop at Pisgah Inn, lots of parking, quite a view, it's casual, you can eat, and you can stay there if it's not booked. There's a side road very close to the Inn that goes down towards Brevard, a couple waterfalls along there. Cold Mountain is also visible from the Inn, and then Asheville is a relatively short distance down the Parkway from the Inn. It will be a little chilly up at Pisgah, and occasionally the first snowfall in Boone is the first part of November.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the advice gigimac, I would love to see some snow when I come down there. Don't worry I'm Wisconsin born and raised I've dealt with much much snow. How much snow does Boone get on average every winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina