Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:44 PM

108 posts, read 384,118 times

Advertisements

OK, some things have finally fallen into place in my life, and I can start planning that trip to Asheville area for late Oct/early Nov. My goal being to check out the counties north of Buncombe.

Tho no one ever seems to mention UNC-Asheville on this forum, if I ever move there I intend to be an active participant in their College for Seniors. Therefore, looking for somewhere within reasonable (30 minutes) commuting distance of UNC. What towns outside Buncombe County should I check out?
I'm thinking Waynesville, Brevard and Hot Springs are too far?

Also, leaf-peeping season will be over here in CT in late October, but what about down there? Will I be able to find a place to stay? Any recommendations (not too expensive)? Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 09:19 PM

518 posts, read 2,228,160 times
Waynesville is a terrific place (we own land near town and visit frequently), and under normal circumstances it's about a 25-minute drive to/from Asheville on I-40. Problem is, in my experience (which, in the interest of full disclosure, certainly doesn't compare with that of full-time residents), the traffic on I-40 can get pretty heavy, especially where it meets up with I-26 and I-240 on the outskirts of Asheville. I've been caught in a few I-40 traffic jams that rival anything we see on I-95 down here, albeit without South Florida's homicidal drivers.

We've also spent some time at a former co-worker's B&B in Weaverville -- it's a nice little town north of Asheville with easy access to the city; however, it's in Buncombe County. You also might look into Mars Hill (another college town) in Madison County.

Last edited by chisoxfan; 09-17-2007 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-18-2007, 05:12 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,019,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenzx2 View Post
Also, leaf-peeping season will be over here in CT in late October, but what about down there?
Hard to say since it varies somewhat from year to year depending on temperature and precipitation in the preceding months. Here's a status snapshot from late October of 2006, but what the leaves will be like in 2007 is anyone's guess at this point.

The Foliage Network -

Old 09-18-2007, 06:10 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,039,041 times
Quote:
Mapquest says Hot Springs to Asheville is 35 miles, which some would not find onerous. However, the roads getting there make the difference. I take the 25/70 route thru Hot Springs and over to Newport when riding my motorcycle on western-bound travels. Much safer, IMO, than I-40 thru the NC/TN mountain pass. Anyway, IIRC, once past Marshall the road turns to 2-lanes and becomes very squiggly. Keep in mind that you are also rising in elevation.

Point of fact, here's a picture taken a few miles south of Hot Springs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Dori_Anjin/100_0828.jpg (broken link)

Purty, but just think of driving that in the winter or during a time of inclement weather.

I'd still recommend Hot Springs for a visit. It's the neatest little mountain town; a pit stop for hikers because the Appalachian Trail crosses near there.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 AM

442 posts, read 1,510,767 times
You should definitely book your lodging soon - my friend who owns a B&B in Mars Hill says they really fill up fast during leaf season. Silverwing you are right about Hot Springs - and that drive up 25/70 - we come down to Marshall that way when we fly into Knoxville now - great road and scenery but don't think I 'd like to do it in snow/ice. Weaverville is a nice town with good amenities - also check out Marshall which is still being renovated - if you have vision you can see what the town will be like in 5 years. Hopefully not too crowded!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
OK, some things have finally fallen into place in my life, and I can start planning that trip to Asheville area for late Oct/early Nov. My goal being to check out the counties north of Buncombe.

Tho no one ever seems to mention UNC-Asheville on this forum, if I ever move there I intend to be an active participant in their College for Seniors. Therefore, looking for somewhere within reasonable (30 minutes) commuting distance of UNC. What towns outside Buncombe County should I check out?

Also, leaf-peeping season will be over here in CT in late October, but what about down there? Will I be able to find a place to stay? Any recommendations (not too expensive)? Thanks in advance...
Make your reservations IMMEDIATELY - you may already be too late I'm afraid.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 AM

283 posts, read 1,292,067 times
Default Some Good News for Travelers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
Waynesville is a terrific place (we own land near town and visit frequently), and under normal circumstances it's about a 25-minute drive to/from Asheville on I-40. Problem is, in my experience (which, in the interest of full disclosure, certainly doesn't compare with that of full-time residents), the traffic on I-40 can get pretty heavy, especially where it meets up with I-26 and I-240 on the outskirts of Asheville. I've been caught in a few I-40 traffic jams that rival anything we see on I-95 down here, albeit without South Florida's homicidal drivers.

We've also spent some time at a former co-worker's B&B in Weaverville -- it's a nice little town north of Asheville with easy access to the city; however, it's in Buncombe County. You also might look into Mars Hill (another college town) in Madison County.
Okay people. You will be delighted to hear that the I-26 / I-40 interchange is VASTLY improved. I am the most delighted of all. I live in Haywood County (Waynesville / Canton...) and commute to S. Asheville/Arden every day, twice a day. My time has been cut by the fact that another lane has been freed up on I-40, which in turn makes the merge from I-26 so much better.

If the original poster needs any info about the Haywood County area, please feel free to PM me. I haven't been as good about logging on to CityData for the past little while, but I'll try to be better. -Jbird

Old 09-18-2007, 09:41 AM

14 posts, read 53,679 times
We have lived in Mars Hill (in Madison County, north of Buncombe) for the last year and commute at least 3 days per week to employment in downtown Asheville. We live 2 miles off I-26 from the Mars Hill exit. This last year the winters were quite mild and while we slid a bit in our front wheel drive manual car, it wasn't too bad. The commute to Mission Hospitals takes me about 30 minutes. We love the area and we do go regularly to a few restaurants in the Weaverville area (The North Star Diner has great natural food including area grown beef and vegetables. We are also 50 miles from Johnson City TN.

You might even think about living just over the NC/TN line in Unicoi County TN, Irwin Tn is the town. While NC has a state income tax, TN does not. The winters seem milder there and the grwoing season for veggies is longer.

While there is construction of a new Walmart and Lowes (and who knows what else) at the intersection of I-26 and US 25/70, in Weaverville, and there is a local True Value and a Tractor Supply store, all with great prices, we sometimes now drive to the Walmart in Unicoi, TN, which is usually faster to get to then the one in DT Asheville.

Mars Hill area is starting to pick up and real estate developers are starting to find the area, what with housing prices in the Asheville area being out of sight.

Any other info you want, please email me.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:37 PM

108 posts, read 384,118 times
Thanks to all of you for the info! Thinking to actually stay in Hot Springs (there is a hotel there with rooms still available), and check out Mars Hill/Marshall, and Haywood County from there. I've been researching Madison County for awhile, but really know nothing about Haywood County... so any input is appreciated! Is there anything actually in Clyde or Canton? Good restaurants anywhere? How about a yoga studio? Any areas that are sorta arty (I am a craftsperson)? Thanks!

Old 09-18-2007, 02:49 PM

442 posts, read 1,510,767 times
Quote:
Thanks to all of you for the info! Thinking to actually stay in Hot Springs (there is a hotel there with rooms still available), and check out Mars Hill/Marshall, and Haywood County from there. I've been researching Madison County for awhile, but really know nothing about Haywood County... so any input is appreciated! Is there anything actually in Clyde or Canton? Good restaurants anywhere? How about a yoga studio? Any areas that are sorta arty (I am a craftsperson)? Thanks!
The Mountain Magnolia Inn in Hot Springs is lovely (pricey for dinner) and the included breakfast is top notch. Also have looked at Bright Leaf Junction in Hot Springs but haven't stayed there - their website is informative. We used Hot Springs as a base when we were researching land - but now we stay outside of Mars Hill at the B&B at Ponder Cove because we love them and they are now our friends! Hot Springs has a craft show on Saturdays (I think in the Fall, too) that has some interesting local crafters - also check out Bluff Mountain Outfitters - they have great bumper stickers!! I almost bought the "Tree Hugging Dirt Worshipper" sticker - my teenage daughter would have loved that one!! Spend an hour in a hot tub in Hot Springs they are fun (also they say the water has lithium in it and you DO feel great afterwards) LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina