Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,523 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My other half and I are thinking of relocating. We are researching different states and Heard NC is very nice-especially Asheville. Does this town have rural spots-I've seen both city like and rural, so just checking. Also, want to know the crime rate, if the housing is affordable (looking at $96,000-$150,000) how the schools and job availablity is as well. If anyone knows of an other "country like settings in Nc with the above descript, please feel free to share.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 05:12 PM

958 posts, read 2,632,971 times
You won't find housing in Asheville in that price range, unfortunately. You can probably double that price range to find decent homes. Schools aren't bad, especially the county schools. Job availability is not the greatest, unless you're in the service or medical industries.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 AM

76 posts, read 327,623 times
Roxors hit it on the nail. I was a real estate agent for a short time a couple year ago and and had a client looking in the 150K range. The best thing I could find was a double-wide in a place nobody would want to live. I have a friend who paid almost $400k for a 2200sf 3 bed/3bath in north Asheville 8 months ago.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 PM

184 posts, read 679,135 times
Jobs-
I personally think its fairly hard to get a good job here, Service industry(catering to tourists) prevail.
Housing-
When looking for real estate in your price range just expect to have a fairly limited selection & Don't give up! Three years ago we were only approved for up to a 100,000 dollar loan. Most real estate agents nearly laughed at us when we told them we wanted an old house near downtown asheville & no trailers. We found a small 1925 bungalow 2 miles north of downtown for less than 100,000. Now we are planning on moving away from asheville & our house is going to go up for sale for less than 115,000. So there are still reasonable houses around. There just aren't a ton to choose from & most houses under 150,000 are quite small.
Rural areas-
There are many rural areas around asheville. The city is a tiny bit sprawling to the south(out hendersonville road) & West but Farm lands & National state forests are abound when you get out side of town.
Crime-
It's pretty safe here. There are a fairly obvious & somewhat pushy bum population around the downtown area though.
Schools-Sorry I have no first hand knowledge of the schools around here.

Overall I think its kinda pricey to live here but the mountains are so amazing. There are so many nearby hikes that lead to gorgeous waterfalls. Downtown is very cute & we are spoiled with many great locally owned businesses & restaurants. The weather here is wonderful...4 seasons,not too cold in the winter,Always cool at night in the summer, fall is longer than anywhere I've ever lived & very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina