Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 9,518 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been talking about relocating to NC. We are both from the boroughs of NYC and moved upstate NY for a better place to raise our family. Well... after years of this we have come to realize it's not really worth it. The school system is ok, but there is little else to do. I'm tired of the weather. Taxes are rediculous. There just doesn't seem to be any living in this place.

Can anyone give me a little info. regarding what it is like in the western part of NC? We have been looking at the Asheville area. Plan on making a few trips to feel it out, but your input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drea' View Post
My husband and I have been talking about relocating to NC. We are both from the boroughs of NYC and moved upstate NY for a better place to raise our family. Well... after years of this we have come to realize it's not really worth it. The school system is ok, but there is little else to do. I'm tired of the weather. Taxes are rediculous. There just doesn't seem to be any living in this place.

Can anyone give me a little info. regarding what it is like in the western part of NC? We have been looking at the Asheville area. Plan on making a few trips to feel it out, but your input would be greatly appreciated!
Do I take it you have not visited the area yet? You should do that before any further consideration of moving there. Asheville is the obvious place to start, then venture out into the smaller areas. But you can't choose a place to live from the Internet alone.

What made you pick this area if you've never been?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:46 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times
Fwiw, we worked in/out of NYC office for decades, worked all around metro NY/NJ, and lived in Warwick, (Orange County), for ~15 years. We migrated south to western NC in 2001.
Great place to be and live, especially if one is retired, and not counting on well paying employment.

'Asheville' pops up on everyone's juke box, because it has become a well know place name; there are many very good areas & towns in western NC, in addition to Asheville or Asheville area.

But your needs and budget and job situ need to be considered/better defined, imo. And, I agree with Francois: you really need to make a trip, or a half dozen trips to A'ville/western NC area,
in addition to just picking a 'good place you might want to live' from the map.
GL, mD

Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
NY to NC is a big change in many ways so plan to visit several times before deciding. Asheville has a lot to offer and with more and more people from other places coming here has given it a more cosmopolitian yet laidback vibe. But still a small city and some things can be hard to find here if you are used to a huge selection. But if you hanker for a big city and its multitude of choices Charlotte, NC. is 2.5 hours and if you really want big Atlanta is 4.5 and offers a beautiful easy drive if you go west and then drop south. Both are easy for weekend visits. Summers can be hot and sticky but most times tolerable, spring and fall are fantastic, winter can be cold and snowy or fairly mild. You will need a variety of clothes as it can change pretty rapidly from cold to mild to cold again and vice versa. Wonderful outdoor activities close by and at times the beauty just takes your breath away. Lots of very attractive smaller places near Asheville if you want a more small town atmosphere: Weaverville, Brevard, Black Mountain, Hendersonville to name a few. There are only a few places I would consider living and the Asheville area is one of them! Hope you find it to your liking.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:20 PM

29 posts, read 61,399 times
I moved to Hendersonville in January, 2012. I love the area. It is nice and peaceful.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,307 times
As long as you won't be really looking for employment,there isn't alot here(Asheville).

Old 05-10-2012, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 9,518 times
We have driven through, but not enough to get a good feel for it. We have 2 trips planned for this year. I have been looking at the Black Mountain area. Will be checking out the schools.

Thank you all for your input!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:16 PM

100 posts, read 318,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drea' View Post

Upstate NY is rather ambiguous since it covers a narrow or large area depending on who you talk to.
Nature wise I think NY has more to do especially with respect to fishing, canoeing, camping, and hiking. The Adirondacks and Catskills MTNS are really hard to beat with their vast acreage and lack of crowds, minus Old Forge, NY during the 4th of July weekend. But I digress.

Asheville is different. Politically Asheville leans heavily left of center. The area is getting quite crowded these days. Lots of pubs, restaurants and surrounded by Blue Ridge MTNS, that get very busy, especially during the Autumn. It is a pretty area, though. Getting crowded though. They need to work on their roads too. Money seems to focus on certain areas or people, while the majority of Buncombe county seems neglected. Many of the locals live in or near poverty while they work 2 or 3 low paying service type jobs.

Asheville is a good place to visit...check it out. To live?...nah. I'd move back to Central/Western NY if I could. I miss the Adirondacks and Old Forge area. Not to mention the shores of Lake Ontario. But then again I'm a nature type(miss good diverse fishing) and don't like crowds of people.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 PM

100 posts, read 318,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Do I take it you have not visited the area yet? You should do that before any further consideration of moving there. Asheville is the obvious place to start, then venture out into the smaller areas. But you can't choose a place to live from the Internet alone.

What made you pick this area if you've never been?

I agree with the above poster. Must visit first and not just a couple of days. Travel around during the week and weekend. Visit surrounding counties, especially south of Asheville, like Hendersonville and Transylvania counties. Nice areas down there. South Asheville (Arden and Fletcher) areas are really nice, with the more affluent types. North Asheville has very affluent areas too.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,804 times
NY seems to have very high taxes...there are many beautiful rural areas in WNC, I suggest you look at homes online and if you find something that captures your heart...then RESEARCH! Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina