Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:32 PM

9 posts, read 17,761 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife & I are a "mixed" couple in our late 40's, that's looking to relocate from Central NY to Western NC. My wife is originally from Sanford, NC, she does work, but would need to transfer..(preferably). Right now she does security work, but also has medical experience. I know jobs are hard to find, but I feel she'll do fine with whatever field she chooses. Me, Im on New York State workmans comp, and SSDI, and work doesnt look like its in my future .

We both enjoy fishing, and the outdoors and are not the "city" type folks. My main concern is finding physicians (pain management and/or orthopedic surgeons) who will accept NYS comp, as that is the majority of my issues.

In time, we would buy a place, cost of living would play a important part of where we decide to move to. A YMCA nearby is also important, as I need that to get some kind of exercise/water therapy. Other than that mentioned earlier, we both dont need alot, such as places for a "nightlife".

We plan on coming down sometime in the spring or summer to check out certain towns/cities such as the Hickory area, Statesville, Bryson City, and possibly the surrounding areas near Asheville.

Any input or suggestions for towns or certain areas would be much appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 04:27 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
I think its a good move chosing the western part, the 828 because that's where I'm going. Based on my research I'm leaning towards caldwell/marion-lake lure area, not only because its right amongst my relatives but it also happens to be relatively cheap and rural without being way up in the mountains away from everyday conveniences.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I think its a good move chosing the western part, the 828 because that's where I'm going. Based on my research I'm leaning towards caldwell/marion-lake lure area, not only because its right amongst my relatives but it also happens to be relatively cheap and rural without being way up in the mountains away from everyday conveniences.
yea, I have no family in NC, my wife has some (but not very many) in Sanford, but we both like the rural Mountainous area. good luck with your move..

Old 12-30-2011, 08:01 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
With medical concerns, I think Bryson City is too far out. You won't have much to choose from medically.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
With medical concerns, I think Bryson City is too far out. You won't have much to choose from medically.
I think you're right I didn't think that town was that far out. Catawba county looks like the area that interests me the most (at this point)

Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetz View Post
Hi, my wife & I are a "mixed" couple in our late 40's, that's looking to relocate from Central NY to Western NC. My wife is originally from Sanford, NC, she does work, but would need to transfer..(preferably). Right now she does security work, but also has medical experience. I know jobs are hard to find, but I feel she'll do fine with whatever field she chooses. Me, Im on New York State workmans comp, and SSDI, and work doesnt look like its in my future .

We both enjoy fishing, and the outdoors and are not the "city" type folks. My main concern is finding physicians (pain management and/or orthopedic surgeons) who will accept NYS comp, as that is the majority of my issues.

In time, we would buy a place, cost of living would play a important part of where we decide to move to. A YMCA nearby is also important, as I need that to get some kind of exercise/water therapy. Other than that mentioned earlier, we both dont need alot, such as places for a "nightlife".

We plan on coming down sometime in the spring or summer to check out certain towns/cities such as the Hickory area, Statesville, Bryson City, and possibly the surrounding areas near Asheville.

Any input or suggestions for towns or certain areas would be much appreciated. Thanks
Coming from central NY you will find the cost of homes a bit higher in the more desirable areas like Asheville, Black Mountain or Lake Lure.

Statesvile is not in western NC - it's in the piedmont (which is not mountainous if you prefer that scenery), though you would have better access to the kind of doctors you are looking for from there by traveling over to Winston-Salem or south to Charlotte.

Bryson City is just too remote to have many jobs or the kind of medical care you need, though it's a lovely area.

Hickory is more doable and worth a look.

If your heart is not set on being in the mountains I'd say you should check out the rural areas surrounding Winston Salem like King, Rural Hall or maybe even the larger town of Mt. Airy. You could live pretty affordably in these areas and still have access to the kinds of things you like to do and the doctors you need.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:25 AM

4 posts, read 10,387 times
You may want to check out Rutherfordton. The hospital here is highly ranked in the US and there always seems to be medical job openings listed. (Too bad I'm not in that field!!)

Lake Lure is close. Asheville is close. Spartanburg is close.

The closest YMCA would be in Shelby.

Good luck in your search!

Old 12-31-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Coming from central NY you will find the cost of homes a bit higher in the more desirable areas like Asheville, Black Mountain or Lake Lure.

Statesvile is not in western NC - it's in the piedmont (which is not mountainous if you prefer that scenery), though you would have better access to the kind of doctors you are looking for from there by traveling over to Winston-Salem or south to Charlotte.

Bryson City is just too remote to have many jobs or the kind of medical care you need, though it's a lovely area.

Hickory is more doable and worth a look.

If your heart is not set on being in the mountains I'd say you should check out the rural areas surrounding Winston Salem like King, Rural Hall or maybe even the larger town of Mt. Airy. You could live pretty affordably in these areas and still have access to the kinds of things you like to do and the doctors you need.
I have noticed that the home prices are higher in the mountain area. I was kind of wondering where the cutoff was for "Western" NC vs. the Piedmont, thank you for the suggestion of towns..I will look into those

My heart isn't set on the mountain areas, even tho I prefer that setting, medical care & cost of living definitely are higher priorities.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs oz View Post
You may want to check out Rutherfordton. The hospital here is highly ranked in the US and there always seems to be medical job openings listed. (Too bad I'm not in that field!!)

Lake Lure is close. Asheville is close. Spartanburg is close.

The closest YMCA would be in Shelby.

Good luck in your search!
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated!!!

Old 12-31-2011, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 10,387 times
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina