Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:06 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times

Advertisements

We are originally from the hudson valley area of NY -- about 1.5-2 hrs north of NYC. We have a weekend place in Wilkes County.

Wilkesboro and North Wilkesboro are in the foothills of the blue ridge and I think are very pretty -- we have a place at about 2200 feet elevation. I am told there isn't that much snow compared to Boone - although these past few winters there hasn't been as much snow everywhere so not sure how true that is long term!

Wilkes county is only about 1 hr from Winston Salem and about 40 mins from Boone -- it is a nice central, family oriented location right off of Rte421.There seems to be pretty decent schools and there is a community college as well as App nearby in Boone and more in Winston-Salem.

Make sure you take a look as you pop down 77 toward points farther south!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM

100 posts, read 317,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
NY seems to have very high taxes...there are many beautiful rural areas in WNC, I suggest you look at homes online and if you find something that captures your heart...then RESEARCH! Good luck
Yep, NY sucks for taxes and the rent has shot through the roof.
But Old Forge, NY, Adirondacks, Finger Lakes, road trip along the the big lake...amazing places.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:32 AM

76 posts, read 200,335 times
Default Don't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by drea' View Post
We have driven through, but not enough to get a good feel for it. We have 2 trips planned for this year. I have been looking at the Black Mountain area. Will be checking out the schools.

Thank you all for your input!

Oh God, may I ask the age of your children who might potentially be attending the schools in the Black Mountain area?? My parents moved me to Black Mountain when I was 12/13 (can't remember) and it was AWFUL. I had come from Massachusetts (a place, that as a child...I absolutely LOVED, even though I am very originally from GA) and the schools in Black Mountain IMO were HORRIBLE. The middle school especially is atrocious. The teachers treat their students horribly, and I couldn't make a friend for the life of me (kids there are small minded and do not take kindly to outsiders). High School was not much better...I would state more specific details, but I don't want to start drama since people on this site might personally be offended . Black Mountain is NOT the best place to move if you are from the north. People are closed minded, Asheville is better (hippy dippy ville) but as soon as you leave the city you are back dealing with small- minded rednecks. I left as soon as I could and moved to Burlington, Vermont (which I love). I am now living in Austin, TX but look forward to heading back to New England in the future. IMHO there are two types of people in Asheville: really closed minded conservative rednecks and turbo extremist yuppy hippies...there is also a big new age movement happening there (which is pretty cool, my parents are way into it). The job market is also horrible, all of my family there is struggling financially, with little to no hope of a brighter future. I also don't find there to be anything exciting about Black Mountain or Asheville. There really isn't a lot to do, especially for teenagers (taking your kids into account). As someone who was transplanted as a child to this area of the United States, please take mercy on your children. My parents are still heartbroken that they never get to see me, but I just can't stand the thought of ever moving back to North Carolina. Western North Carolina is all scenery, and not much else.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the schooling was so horrible for my little brother (3 years younger than me) and he was being so mistreated by his teachers (he has/had a slight learning disability) that my mom had to pull him out of school. She eventually enrolled him in a small private school in the area, where she actually now teaches (this would be worth checking out). Feel free to private message me for more details on any of this. I feel very strongly about the black mountain area and am very empathetic toward any child having to deal with what I had to deal with . The bullying I went through as a transplant is not something I will ever forget.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
my sister would agree with you. She found Black Mountain schools a living hades. I had no problems except that folks were cliqueish and cold to newcomers. Yet we got along fine and when I go back today I have warm friends.

still I understand what you say.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Interesting about the schools in Black Mountain.

How funny that the schools in WNC vary so much. Brevard is supposed to have excellent schools. I think Hendersonville does too?

Even tiny little Hayesville way out west has one of the best school systems in the entire state. And believe me, you can tell the kids working in the grocery store there are intelligent.

So, don't get too discouraged about finding a good school. There are some very good ones out there.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:52 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
I think you have to consider what middle schooler would be happy to move to a totally different state to begin with. My brother was that age and gave my parents hell or it and he still resents them for it. Unless they were moving from a ghetto school I bet they would all hate the new one. Middle school is also the worst for bullying. I really am not sure you wouldn't have and a similar experience a new kid anywhere else.

....unfortunately. Middle schoolers are a mean mean bunch.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Well, in my experience the bullying didn't just come from the students, it was the teachers and upper administration as well.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:30 PM

203 posts, read 371,556 times
Thumbs up Henderson County, NC school ( Hendersonville, NC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Interesting about the schools in Black Mountain.

How funny that the schools in WNC vary so much. Brevard is supposed to have excellent schools. I think Hendersonville does too?

Even tiny little Hayesville way out west has one of the best school systems in the entire state. And believe me, you can tell the kids working in the grocery store there are intelligent.

So, don't get too discouraged about finding a good school. There are some very good ones out there.
Yes, Shooting Stars, Hendersonville, NC does have great schools! In today's local newspaper..

West Henderson High has been recognized as one of the nation's best high schools. | BlueRidgeNow.com

Cheers for the students at West Henderson High!!!!!!!!!GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:13 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise222 View Post
Western North Carolina is all scenery, and not much else.
I recently spent seven days over spring break in the most beautiful area of Brooklyn, NY with friends and family. Complete strangers (okay... other than the Subway Attendants ) were friendly, helpful, could carry a good conversation. I absolutely loved the culture and diversity up there. So, your above statement hits close to my heart, because leaving NYC, I realized that was all I was really coming back 'home' to. Scenery. And less traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina