Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,387 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are a young couple with a 6 year old son getting ready to move from our horrible state of Florida to somewhere near Franklin, NC in about a year. Are there any other good towns to move to around this area? We are looking to stay within about a 100 mile radius of Franklin (due to family) and would prefer to be near the Smoky Mountains.
Any advise/help would be much appreciated!!

schools? ( are there really any worse then Floridas? lol but seriously are the schools decent in this area or would crossing the Tennessee line be a better choice?)
jobs? (clerical/healthcare/daycare/computer
houses? (looking for something on the cheaper side as we are paying $900/month for rent for a 2bedroom down here) ick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 05:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,283 times
Hi! My name is Kim and I have a home in Otto (5min. south of Franklin on 441) Currently I have the home for sale by owner but would consider renting. The House is on 1.1/2 acreas. It is 2,600 sq. ft. 3/2 2 car garage, and large bonus room 20/22 that could be playroom or bedroom. It also has large screen porch on back with a patio. My email is [email]butybluenow@aol.com[/email] and would love to send pics. I presently live in WPB and to will retire to NC. Please email

Old 09-30-2012, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,664 times
Hi my name is Martha, I am relocating to Frankin by the end of this year. I am having a challenge finding suitable housing to rent, I need at least 2 bedrooms home. I prefer living in the rural area but would like to be as close to Franklin as possible. Me email is mmesser89@yahoo.com.

Last edited by ncbound2012; 09-30-2012 at 12:09 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 01:17 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbound2012 View Post
I need at least 2 bedrooms home. I prefer living in the rural area but would like to be as close to Franklin as possible. Me email is mmesser89@yahoo.com.
Franklin is a very small town, but if you search on Realtor.com within 10 miles of Franklin, you will turn up 23 rentals. Many of them are actually in Hiawasee or Clayton, Georgia, and 19 of them are under $1200/month. What is your budget?

There are also a few apartment complexes listed in Franklin, NC at apartmentguide.com . They have telephone numbers but no web sites. Also try the neighboring towns like Walhalla and Seneca, South Carolina.

Craigslist for Boone, NC also has many rentals in Franklin, with cabins as low as $475/month.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-30-2012 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 03:54 PM

1,403 posts, read 937,455 times
I use craigslist asheville then type in Franklin or even Otto for places to rent. Right now our move to Ky is not looking so hot so hoping to at least get out of the state we are in and I have been to Franklin and know a new super wal mart is almost done...so jobs will be coming...

Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 AM

123 posts, read 190,585 times
Hello, I would like more info about Franklin NC and surrounding areas...basically, would like to see more chat from locals. I know Franklin is small (which in my book is perfect) but I would like to read up and see what the culture is like, farming, jobs, housing, etc...any info would be amazing. Thank you

Old 12-10-2012, 11:29 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
Hello, I would like more info about Franklin NC and surrounding areas...basically, would like to see more chat from locals. I know Franklin is small (which in my book is perfect) but I would like to read up and see what the culture is like, farming, jobs, housing, etc...any info would be amazing. Thank you
Well, the last time I was in Franklin it was a dry county, and the stores closed on Wednesday afternoon for prayer meetings. They do have an ABC store and allow beer sales now, but the history should give you an idea of what the local culture is like.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-10-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 02:44 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
just country people and a few transplant/retirees. There are some vacation rentals here and there.

I never cared for Franklin (my ex in laws were from there) but my family rented a cabin there for Thanksgiving and the little town and surrounding area impressed me as being a livable area for ME.

You would only know you though.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:10 AM

7 posts, read 14,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
One good thing about Franklin is that is has a 'central' location to bigger towns/cities like Asheville, Greenville, and even Atlanta (Hwy 441 runs into I-985 to Atlanta) its also close to Cherokee and easy day trip to Gatlinburg.

Not sure how the job market is for Franklin, I haven't lived in the area since 2008 (I am originally from Hayesville) but housing is pretty affordable from what I have seen and heard from family/friends that still live there. If you are into Scottish culture, there is the Scottish Tartans Museum in downtown (which has grown in the past several years, drove through for the first time in years and was shocked). There are more places to shop and such, I heard they built a new Super Walmart in the area. Highlands is a nice place to visit too (although if you get car sick recommend taking some motion sick meds before you go, hwy 64 is pretty rough lol) but its worth it to see the gorgeous waterfalls. Hiawassee, about 40 min to the SW in GA has grown a lot in the past 10 years, lots of really good places to eat and cute boutiques...Hiawassee is becoming more of a 'high end-ish' touristy area, but still everyone is very nice and friendly.

I will say, I live in Columbia, SC now and I enjoy my visits home, I appreciate it a lot more now that I have lived in Oklahoma and now the Midlands of SC

Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 AM

306 posts, read 758,278 times
Franklin lies in a beautiful area with easy access to Great Smoky Mountains National Park (20 miles), Asheville (50 miles), North Georgia Mountains (20 miles), Atlanta (100 miles). In and of itself, it's a small, sleepy town with not much happening, which could be a good thing. The traffic cruising through is destined to and from GSMNP to Florida and all points in between. Clayton, Georgia is nice and very scenic just 20 miles further south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina