Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:32 PM

5 posts, read 14,706 times

Advertisements

My husband, myself and two boys (14 & 8) have property in Franklin. We are looking to move there this winter. Anyone have any advice on how outsiders (especially from Florida) are accepted into the local community. Will it be hard for my boys to make friends? We have been visiting Franklin for nearly 10 years. I have never taken notice of couples with families our age? are there any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 03:34 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,018 times
You will be fine as long as you try. If you come in all high strung and tell people how to do things because "that's how we do things in florida" you deserve the shunned treatment you will get. A lot of people in Franklin and surrounding communities like Mountain City, Otto, etc are from Florida nowadays anyway. Your kids may be an issue because they wont have much at all in common with the kids there. You will just have to learn that on your own.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:35 AM

149 posts, read 260,063 times
What part of Florida are you from? I have lived in NoFlo and SoFlo - my family is from the mountains of NC and I have visited frequently throughout my life.

Are you and your family outdoorsy people? This is important as there is so much to do in the mountains. Are you prepared for cold winters? icy roads? stocking up for winter?

You will fit in just fine, I think, if you assimilate. I don't blame you. I am getting the he ck out of Miami and moving to the mountains, myself. There is so much to do there, I don't think I will even miss the beach!!!

The only thing I think I will miss about SoFlo is the approximation to the ocean and cruises.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:35 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,018 times
I live in Tampa and would move up there in a heartbeat if I could get a decent paying job. Unfortunately jobs are lacking up there...

Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 14,706 times
Thanks for all the responses. We are very outdoorsy people. Like I said earlier We have owned the property for 10 years and have wanted to move there so many times. I love it there. I love the people, the laid back living and I am so looking forward to getting out of the rat race we call Florida. I was just wondering more about the employment aspect. I know the quality of life is better there and there is so much to do as a family. Im just really concerned about getting jobs.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:15 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
The job situation is difficult. Franklin is a small town that doesn't generate many jobs. People with decent jobs with benefits tend to hold onto them forever.

The usual advice is to make sure you have jobs before moving to the mountains. But it depends on what kind of jobs you're looking for.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 PM

6 posts, read 13,436 times
My family moved to Franklin in 1981 from Pinellas County in FL, our kids at the time were 13 and 11. We bought a little place on 10 acres just outside the town limits and get this...there wasn't even a McDonald's here yet.

As far as being accepted, we never had the first problem. Part of that was because we didn't come up here with the attitude things needed changing. We worked hard until retirement, raised our kids to be honest and good citizens of Macon County, got them involved in school and recreational sports, joined a church, and became good neighbors.

I wish you the best in your planned move to Franklin but as others have mentioned, it might be difficult to find the job you desire. Keep looking, with a good attitude, and you might be surprised how well things will work out for you.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:48 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times
Mimi sounds like the best philosophy for life I have seen on this board in a long time.

Bless you and best to you and yours

Old 09-10-2011, 08:57 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,536 times
Applicant Preview Current Job Listings

BRANDI, above is a link to our NC Employment Security Commission site, which I set up to display jobs in Franklin....if they don't show up, you can fill out the search criteria. There is an ESC office in Frankliln, I strongly suggest you contact them when looking for work. Also, get a subscription to the local paper and start looking at the classifieds for employment, too. It will give you some idea of what's out there.

Your children will make friends, all do when they attend school. Also, if you have families who live near you and have children the same age, you might try to get friendly with them so your kids will have someone to play with and do things whilst at home. Get them into outdoor activities they prefer by taking them everywhere they have so far liked, even sign them up for lessons in fav interests outside. If the school they attend has art classes or music classes, encourage them to take those, they are loosely structured and creative, which promotes friendships. When spring comes, if there is a sport like baseball or track that is offered in their age group, they should take the time to get involved with that. When it snows, sledding or tubing is great unstructured fun no matter where you live in WNC, kids tend to collect at the best slopes in a particular neighborhood. And as a family, find trail areas next to your home and all should go walking amongst the trees and views. Keep them busy and they will be happy.

Your 14-year-old might appreciate a dog, if you don't already have one, but he will have to be an indoor pet on account of our weather. Not everyone wants a dog, so it's just a suggestion, wouldn't do it if you never have. Your teen will need special attention as to staying active, he is at the age where a big move to a new place might be difficult, so it's important to keep an eye on him as far as moods, complaints, keep the communications open and easy with him, and by "easy," I mean do not force things as he may want to distance himself from you from time to time. But DO make him do SOMEthing outdoorsy to take up his time and release teenaged tensions.

Good grief, I sound like a counselor. Smile. I just wanted to give you some tips, is all.
GG

Old 09-10-2011, 05:16 PM

83 posts, read 93,523 times
that whole area is alot of retirees from florida.....but of recent the population growth has stopped there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina