Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 11,666 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to retire in the Western North Carolina area but it looks like I will be moving there well before I retire!

I just got a job offer in Franklin and will be moving in a few weeks. I am still not certain of my plans but was hoping on some local input.

When you moved did you buy a house immediately? Rent first? Build? Were you happy with your decision?

I like Franklin but was considering living closer to Sylva. This would put us closer to Waynesville and Asheville while not being a long drive to work each day (15 minutes?). I have vacationed in and around Franklin several times but have not been to Sylva. How do the two areas compare?

Is broadband internet available (and reliable)?

How is the cell phone service? I am most likely getting a Droid with Verizon.

Can anyone recommend a Realtor that is knowledgeable of both areas?

What about banking? My credit union is only in SC so I will have to change.

Wow, this has happened kind of fast and I am feeling overwhelmed. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 09:24 PM

492 posts, read 405,708 times
Congratulations on getting a job AND on moving to WNC! If I were you, I'd buy a couple of lottery tickets!

Old 07-03-2010, 06:59 AM

267 posts, read 806,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempered View Post
I have always wanted to retire in the Western North Carolina area but it looks like I will be moving there well before I retire!

I just got a job offer in Franklin and will be moving in a few weeks. I am still not certain of my plans but was hoping on some local input.

When you moved did you buy a house immediately? Rent first? Build? Were you happy with your decision?

I like Franklin but was considering living closer to Sylva. This would put us closer to Waynesville and Asheville while not being a long drive to work each day (15 minutes?). I have vacationed in and around Franklin several times but have not been to Sylva. How do the two areas compare?

Is broadband internet available (and reliable)?

How is the cell phone service? I am most likely getting a Droid with Verizon.

Can anyone recommend a Realtor that is knowledgeable of both areas?

What about banking? My credit union is only in SC so I will have to change.

Wow, this has happened kind of fast and I am feeling overwhelmed. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
We moved to Sylva back in February. Loving it here. I've only visited Franklin a few times, but it also seems nice.

As far as your phone service, seems Verizon is the way to go. It's about the only thing that has full coverage around here. Broadband is something else all together. If you live in the more populated areas, it's here. But, if you live in the sticks like us, it's something you'll have to sacrifice, though not completely. There is always satellite, which is slow and has a cap. But also Verizon mifi, which uses cell phone technology. Good deal faster than dial up, but also has a monthly cap, so if you are into downloading movies and stuff, that will come to an end. For us, it was a small price to pay to live in the woods ;-)

There are banks all over the place. We had accounts with Suntrust in Florida, and they also exist here, so we had no issues. We are currently renting, but that was a financial decision, for now.

We really love it here, because we're afforded the ability to live the mountain lifestyle, but still be close (about an hour) to Asheville, for all the entertainment options that provides. We're also only 20 minutes from Cherokee, and a short drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Smoky Mountain National Park. We've found this to be the exact place we'd like to stay for good.

Good luck with your search, and the move. I'm sure you'll love it here!

Old 07-04-2010, 06:18 AM

34 posts, read 81,856 times
Tempered,
I have lived in Franklin for 11 years and know most of WNC fairly well. If you were coming to this area to retire the stretch from Sylva, Cullowee, Waynesville, Clyde, Canton and the surrounding close towns of Asheville (Weaverville, Black Mountain, etc.), any of those would be a great choice. Beautiful mountain living and convenient to the medical facilities of Asheville and all the amenities that city has to offer. However, since your new job is in Franklin I would STRONGLY suggest you also live in Franklin! It may only be about 20 miles from Sylva to Franklin but there is a big difference between mountain miles and flatland miles! You will tire quickly from making that daily drive each way over Cowee Mountain ...... especially in winter! Great drive for tourists and sight seeing ....... not so great if you must do it every day!

Definately rent and live here awhile before buying. There really are no "bad" areas, but there is much to get to know mountain living, water, lack of big city "convenience laws" ....... There is no rush to buy. If you make a mistake it may take a long time to get ride of it. Like most of the country real estate is moving very slowly. The business is way down. Many realtors have gone out of business and the others have far fewer salespeople. Take your time. This will not turn around for at least another couple of years or so........ if ever.

If high speed internet is important to you then you MUST make sure Verizon DSL ports or Morris Cable are available where you look into renting or buying. I have Verizon DSL and am very happy with it. I have spoken to a number of people who are not at all pleased with Morris. Now, that being said ..... Verizon is getting out of servicing rural areas (not their cell service) and has sold out to a company named Frontier who will be taking over in a month or so. We have been told the service will be just as good, but who knows???? we'll see ......

As far as cell phone service ........ ONLY go with Verizon. None of the others come close to their service in these mountains.

Good luck. Most people love living in Franklin and unless you need or want the unlimited activities and night life of a big city I believe you'll like living here too.

If I run into you at Fatz Cafe during happy hour I'll buy you an ice cold draft!

Old 07-05-2010, 04:33 AM

2 posts, read 11,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Davis
I have lived in Franklin for 11 years and know most of WNC fairly well. If you were coming to this area to retire the stretch from Sylva, Cullowee, Waynesville, Clyde, Canton and the surrounding close towns of Asheville (Weaverville, Black Mountain, etc.), any of those would be a great choice. Beautiful mountain living and convenient to the medical facilities of Asheville and all the amenities that city has to offer. However, since your new job is in Franklin I would STRONGLY suggest you also live in Franklin! It may only be about 20 miles from Sylva to Franklin but there is a big difference between mountain miles and flatland miles! You will tire quickly from making that daily drive each way over Cowee Mountain ...... especially in winter! Great drive for tourists and sight seeing ....... not so great if you must do it every day!
Larry, I think you might be right about the drive from Sylva. It didn't seem bad when I made the drive during my interview trip but doing it every day could get old and throwing in the idea of snow/ice is a good point.

I am thinking at this point I will definitely look into renting for a while until I get familiar with the area. I really need to sell my current house first anyway and who knows how long that will take. I may even consider buying land and building in a few years. I am hoping my coworkers are able to give me some good Realtor input.

Quote:
If high speed internet is important to you then you MUST make sure Verizon DSL ports or Morris Cable are available where you look into renting or buying. I have Verizon DSL and am very happy with it. I have spoken to a number of people who are not at all pleased with Morris. Now, that being said ..... Verizon is getting out of servicing rural areas (not their cell service) and has sold out to a company named Frontier who will be taking over in a month or so. We have been told the service will be just as good, but who knows???? we'll see ......

As far as cell phone service ........ ONLY go with Verizon. None of the others come close to their service in these mountains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellobiafra
As far as your phone service, seems Verizon is the way to go. It's about the only thing that has full coverage around here. Broadband is something else all together. If you live in the more populated areas, it's here. But, if you live in the sticks like us, it's something you'll have to sacrifice, though not completely. There is always satellite, which is slow and has a cap. But also Verizon mifi, which uses cell phone technology. Good deal faster than dial up, but also has a monthly cap, so if you are into downloading movies and stuff, that will come to an end. For us, it was a small price to pay to live in the woods ;-)
I am a geek and broadband is definitely high priority. Any service that is capped will not work for me. Interesting about Frontier taking over for Verizon. I will look into them.

The cell phone is a done deal, went ahead and ordered a Droid with Verizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellobiafra
There are banks all over the place. We had accounts with Suntrust in Florida, and they also exist here, so we had no issues. We are currently renting, but that was a financial decision, for now.
For banking I am going to try something different, at least during my transition. I rarely ever need to visit a branch office so I will be doing online banking with USAA. They cover any ATM charges from other banks and even allow you to deposit checks with your phone! My Nephew has been using it for several months and loves it. If it doesn't work for me I can find a local bank down the road.
Quote:
If I run into you at Fatz Cafe during happy hour I'll buy you an ice cold draft!
I think the drinks will be on me!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Things are moving quickly but getting clearer each day.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:35 PM

535 posts, read 1,741,560 times
I'd look at living in Franklin vs making the drive over the mountain. I have offices in both places and when I had to make that drive it was pretty for the first few days then got old. Add some snow or heavy rains and that trip stinks. :P

The realtor should be able to give you an idea of which areas have broadband or not, esp if you're looking at homes. Or you can get a street address and call the providers, they should be able to give you that info easily enough.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 32,298 times
Ive lived in Franklin for about a month and its OK. IT has everything you need but not much more. I like the proximity to the lakes and outdoor activities, but just wish it had a little more as far as entertainment. It seems like its transitioning from a small mountain town to a more tourist friendly hotspot, so Im gonna stick around to see if that happens. Good luck to you.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,262 times
My husband and I truly enjoyed living in Franklin. We left because he could not find a job and I was so underemployed at my 2+ jobs that a super offer from Charlotte pulled me away. And yes, the drive to Sylva is pretty (we know a lot of back routes) but doing it everyday as a commute could become a chore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina