Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,954 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a job in Sylva and will work in Franklin a few days per week. We are looking to buy property in the area and wonder if there is a better school system for our 15 year old son who is currently a straight A, mainstreamed student with serious social deficits. He gets picked on a lot for trying to fit in and being awkward, and he has no filters...which sometimes gets him in trouble.

We also have a 5 year old who starts kindergarten in the fall. We visited both Franklin and Sylva and really like them both. Leaning towards Sylva just because it's closer to Asheville, but really need some insider information. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 04:32 PM

91 posts, read 286,997 times
Honestly, I would suggest Smoky Mountain High over Franklin. There are more cliques at Franklin, than Smoky (from what my god-daughter said). Also my god-daughter had many issues with mean kids at Franklin, and switched over to Smoky Mountain and she likes it so much better.

Besides, I actually like the Jackson County area way better than Macon County, but Macon County's real estate seems to be much cheaper. I feel the Sylva area is more convenient to everything as well.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,954 times
Thanks! We've been looking at Dillsboro/Webster as a nice "in between" area. We are even considering Jackson County Early College. Has anybody had experience with that program?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:14 PM

91 posts, read 286,997 times
Actually I know quite a few kids my cousins age that have graduated from that program, and are continuing on to a four-year university right now. It seems pretty successful. You go for five years, and graduate with a high school diploma and an associate's degree.

The kids seem to enjoy it and have met many friends, and I think they can still participate in sports at the high school if they wish.

Webster and Dillsboro are both nice areas. Probably my next favorite to the Balsam area.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,976,324 times
I agree with Sylva over Franklin, without a doubt!

Old 05-20-2012, 06:49 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,775,052 times
Sylva only because it is closer to Western Normal..probably and I say probably more emphasis on EC in the immediate area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina