Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:10 PM

123 posts, read 191,214 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Thanks so much for all the info! I'm still doing a lot of research but any word from locals is the "good stuff" - thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 354 times
My dream is to live in or near Asheville,NC but we just can’t afford it. My daughter lives in weaverville and I really want to live near her since grand babies may come in a few years! We just don’t know anything about Franklin! Says it’s over an hour to Asheville. Hmmmmm And is it mountainous?
Can somebody sell me the idea of living in Franklin? If not.... what affordable area would you suggest? I need advice bad!! Lol

Old 07-17-2019, 04:58 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,580,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinith View Post
My dream is to live in or near Asheville,NC but we just can’t afford it. My daughter lives in weaverville and I really want to live near her since grand babies may come in a few years! We just don’t know anything about Franklin! Says it’s over an hour to Asheville. Hmmmmm And is it mountainous?
Can somebody sell me the idea of living in Franklin? If not.... what affordable area would you suggest? I need advice bad!! Lol
Weaverville is only about 15 mins. from Asheville, that explains the higher dollar. Have you visited the area at all ? or did your daughter investigate different areas before she moved there ? We would have to know your affordable price range for a home, condo, or rental ? How many rooms, bedrooms, and so forth. There is a ton of information on all of the areas listed here on CD for various towns.

Send more info, we'll send you some ideas.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:31 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,373,227 times
It will probably be cheaper if you live in the foothills. Maybe look at Marion, Morganton, Hickory, Old Fort.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:51 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,097,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It will probably be cheaper if you live in the foothills. Maybe look at Marion, Morganton, Hickory, Old Fort.
I agree and a much easier drive to Weaverville, although Hickory might be unnecessarily far given closer options that are similarly affordable. I would add the Columbus, Rutherfordton and Forest City area instead.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:14 AM

215 posts, read 372,169 times
Franklin is about an hour and a half from Asheville, and at least two hours from Atlanta. It is not a dry county. There are two breweries here, and several good restaurants that serve beer and wine. Some serve liquor as well. It's very quiet here in winter, but in the spring and summer it fills with tourists taking advantage of all the outdoor activities, renting cabins to go hiking, mtn. biking, kayaking, etc. In the fall we have tourists come for the leaf season. If you like the outdoors and you don't need to shop at Target and Costco every day you will like it here.The schools seem to be struggling, they aren't top rated but I know lots of dedicated teachers who love their kids. There is no industry, and the top employers here are the hospital (which is up in the air right now, with almost no surgeons and staff cutback) and Drake enterprises, a software company. The town is trying to promote tourism but they don't put enough money in it to make it work well.
There is no one mindset in Franklin. Yes, there are a lot of locals who resent the transplants and the tourists, but there are a LOT of retirees from up north and Florida that love it here, have an open mind, and are friendly. One doesn't overshadow the other. I would suggest coming for a visit and checking out the restaurants, main street, etc. and talking to people.
Clayton, Ga is a nice town that is half an hour from Franklin, and should be a consideration if your moving this way. Waynesville is nice too.
Edited to add: I forgot about the Floridians who have second homes here, and inflate the summer population a bit. They are here for spring and summer, then leave around Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina