Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,104 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Ethan. I am 19 years old. Went to college for paralegal dint like it much i got an internship as a paralegal i did good but i dint like it very much. I decided to switch majors and try computer programming.. Big mistake. Got bored because i know most of what they are teaching. Getting jobs here in NY is very hard. I have a family member that lives in Asheville NC he has been telling me i should move over there. But am a bit afraid i don't want to leave NY to go to NC and be stuck in the same position. I don't mind working anywhere to be honest. I don't mind being a sever, office worker, warehouse worker or anything of the nature. As long as i get paid enough to have WiFi and pay my bills i can earn the rest online. I speak English and Spanish. I know C++, Java, HTML, i know basic stuff on Photoshop, after effects and i have office experience. One is as a Paralegal and the other as a internet marketer.

New York is way too expensive and its hard for me to find a job that's good. I am also tired of the people here i want to be in a more quiet place. (I don't mean to offend no one from NY.)

I want to become a police officer but i have to be 21 so for now i just want to work and be able to pay my bills. I already took the NYPD test although if i move i know that wont mean anything.

So my questions are:
How hard is it to become a police officer in NC? (I have no criminal history, don't do drugs and don't drink.)
Would i be able to find a job in about a week or two?
How are the people there?
Is it as expensive as NY? (Bills,rent,food)
Also what is boxing like in NC?

Any tips?

Thank you and sorry for the long read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 03:42 PM

679 posts, read 1,462,284 times
How hard is it to become a police officer in NC? (I have no criminal history, don't do drugs and don't drink.)
That I don't know. We do have some people who post here occasionally that might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Would i be able to find a job in about a week or two?
Not likely. The normal recommendation on his board is to come prepared with 9-12 months worth of savings because it may take that long to find a job that will pay the bills. There is a lot of competition for the jobs that are around, so even thinking you'll be willing to become a server or work in retail is not necessarily a solid fall back position. But, if you have family in the area and a couch to sleep on for as long as you need, that helps.

How are the people there?
People are basically friendly. Most people are here because they want to be, which helps.

Is it as expensive as NY? (Bills,rent,food)
Compared to NYC, no. But it is probably more expensive than you would expect. The relative cost of living is pretty typical. A lot of people think the area is "down south" inexpensive. That is generally not true, and housing usually costs more than folks expect. It depends on your point of reference, such as wear in New York. We moved here from the DC area some years back, but did our homework first. Was it cheaper than the DC area? Yes. Was it dramatically cheaper? No. Food, utilities, every day things are pretty typical.

Also what is boxing like in NC?
I am not aware of any boxing here. Hopefully somebody else knows of something.

The problem I think you will find is if you are looking to broaden your horizons and find a career path, well, that second thing is not a strength of the area. Generally, Asheville is a great place to come after you've built your professional life, particularly if it allows you to telecommute. But, it is not a great destination to build a career. For every person I know that has managed to build a career here, I know at least three or four that are just drifting around or contemplating moving on for job-related reasons. The primary economic anchor is health care, which is obviously a specialty. Beyond that, the service/hospitality industry is next. The supply of potential workers for those jobs exceeds the jobs available.

Hopefully somebody will come along that can address the
potential of becoming a police officer for you. I think that would be your best option, if it is feasible.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,104 times
Thank you for your answers. Am worried with that last part of what you said. "The problem I think you will find is if you are looking to broaden your horizons and find a career path, well, that second thing is not a strength of the area. Generally, Asheville is a great place to come after you've built your professional life, particularly if it allows you to telecommute. But, it is not a great destination to build a career."

I don't know if it is worse than what NYC is. I really don't have 9-12 months worth of savings to survive on. I probably would have three if i live on my own in a shared apartment or something.

I am still two full years away from becoming 21. I want to have a back up plan in these two year just in case becoming a police office doesn't happen.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superret2113 View Post
I want to have a back up plan in these two year just in case becoming a police office doesn't happen.
I think you backup plan could be to use the Java and C++ skills in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham area). You are far more likely to find a computer job there than in Asheville. But, don't count on finding a job in a week or two. I think you need at least 6 month savings to support yourself.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:32 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
Just to add, the cop career dough in western NC, isn't big bucks either, especially in early years, and not big after several years in some locales.
Staties make decent dough after a few years, but the line to get into that group is long and arduous, and very selective.

Server jobs in area, yes...but big name/busy joints can afford to be very selective; a neophyte will be working the Waffle House night shift.

Your Java and C++ skills and your bilingual skills are good, though I don't see great writing skills in your posts, fwiw.

None of us can predict how you would fare, landing in A'ville or area next week, but I would look hard, do some reading on this forum, talk to you fam member, and bring some dough when you come.

You have youth on your side; if it were to go sideways, one can drive away.

I'm wearing a sweatshirt right now, that is older than you! Give it a go, after doing some more research.
GL, mD

Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 PM

128 posts, read 222,455 times
You might want to read this information as an aid to preparing to become a police officer. I do think it can be quite competitive. The people I know who are police officers in Charlotte do have college degrees so you might consider if not a BS/BA then at least an associates degree. Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Officer Application and Hiring.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 AM

497 posts, read 969,190 times
Have you considered joining one of the military services as a MP to gain training and experience. Many police officers are veterans who worked in Military Police. Years ago when I graduated from high school, having no means for college, I enlisted in the Army, which allowed me to go to college on the GI Bill and provided me with maturity and responsibility that younger college students lacked. Joining the military may seem like a scary thing for you, but it would serve you well for your entire life, while you serve your country. You can look for some marginal job wherever, or take advantage of the benefits of military service. That is probably your best option at this point in your life.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:02 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
Have you considered joining one of the military services as a MP to gain training and experience. Many police officers are veterans who worked in Military Police. Years ago when I graduated from high school, having no means for college, I enlisted in the Army, which allowed me to go to college on the GI Bill and provided me with maturity and responsibility that younger college students lacked. Joining the military may seem like a scary thing for you, but it would serve you well for your entire life, while you serve your country. You can look for some marginal job wherever, or take advantage of the benefits of military service. That is probably your best option at this point in your life.
That is an excellent idea. I worked at Ft. Bragg 5 years ago. There was a job fair there one day and police recruiters from all over the country were actively seeking soldiers. So was the FBI.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,858 times
Might consider community college courses in Criminal Justice. As cltpeep said many larger police depts. require at least a 2 yr. degree. Small town depts. do not pay much and openings can be few and far between. Atlanta has a Police Academy program but it is pretty rigorous.....as is working in that city.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
If I remember right the city of Asheville required an associates to be a cop. Look on their website all the info is there. Then pull a map up of all the other counties/cities and check heir requirements too. I think you need more education first though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina