Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 05:06 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,072,201 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are coming up on our wedding anniversary this Fall and chose Asheville because it combines some of our favorite things: craft beer, fall foliage/mountains, and good restaurants.

I'm sure I was being naive, but I really pictured Asheville as this cultured, well-kept little city with neat restaurants, brewpubs, and fun beer bars (It is supposed to be Beer City, USA after all). The more I research, I'm hearing some really "creepy" things about Asheville. People completely strung out on drugs just laying around downtown, panhandlers everywhere, etc. I travel for work, so I am no stranger to big cities. I also live in St. Louis, which is definitely not the safest downtown in the US. Some cities seems to not have much of a panhandler element and then others are rampant (Washington DC is one of the worst I've ever seen). I also realize that the bad things get all the posts and the good things get glossed over.

My question is, would staying downtown be a good choice for an anniversary trip? Ideally, my wife and I would love to sightsee during the day (Blue Ridge Pkwy, Biltmore, etc.) and then be able to experience the brewpubs and restaurants at night. My biggest concern is I don't want to be walking back to our hotel (looking at Hotel Indigo) at 11pm, midnight, etc. and feel like we're being descended upon by druggies, panhandlers, or in an unsafe situation. I would NEVER have my friends walk around in downtown St. Louis at midnight, unless there was a sporting event downtown. I was surprised to read several posts on various websites saying that you shouldn't walk back to your hotel in Asheville if it's more than a few blocks after 10pm because it's not safe.

We'd love to stay downtown for the convenience of being only a few blocks from restaurants and bars, and not needing to drive after having some drinks (which we won't do). If we're going to risk some uncomfortable or possibly unsafe situations though, I'd rather just stay outside Asheville and hit up downtown during the days.

I know it can't all be bad, but I also want the honest scoop. This is for an anniversary, and we'd like to have a fun, stress-free time. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,357,789 times
I think your first impression was more accurate of the two.

I'm sure there are people who have problems with drugs in Asheville, but I've never felt unsafe in Asheville and have always stayed downtown and usually stayed out late to go see music, etc.

I think you'll have a great time. It is a wonderful little city.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,624,289 times
Agree with poppydog...
We were in A'ville several times the past couple of weeks with our adult kids, and on a separate occasion, our 9 yr old granddaughter: daytime, evening, and one late night. Never a problem. Our g daughter did get a kick out of a couple pairs of strolling topless women, lol!

A'ville is not Times Square in the mid '70s, if the OP can relate to that; I worked there then and it was a jungle...
A'ville is civilized, fun and enjoyable, if not quite as glossy as the PR and tourist pics would lead one to believe.

Happy Anniversary!
GL, mD

Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,551,185 times
And were won't you find people strung out on drugs today? Yep, there are some here, and every other town and city across the nation.

As locals we love the craft beer environment and frequent the breweries and brew pubs. Were at one this evening. We have attended the beer and music festivals (with the exception of the over hyped Bele Chere), including the Asheville After 5 even circling by the drum circle tonight after a nice evening at a the Wedge Brewery.

Perhaps somewhere that has been "sanitized" from most of society might be more to your liking, Disney World perhaps.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:40 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 772,514 times
If you're really concerned, North Carolina allows unlicensed open carry. Just have to stay off city property, like parks.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:47 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,417,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And were won't you find people strung out on drugs today? Yep, there are some here, and every other town and city across the nation.

As locals we love the craft beer environment and frequent the breweries and brew pubs. Were at one this evening. We have attended the beer and music festivals (with the exception of the over hyped Bele Chere), including the Asheville After 5 even circling by the drum circle tonight after a nice evening at a the Wedge Brewery.

Perhaps somewhere that has been "sanitized" from most of society might be more to your liking, Disney World perhaps.
Well, that was snippy.

And it started out so well, too.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,551,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Well, that was snippy.

And it started out so well, too.
Got my point across

But you failed to attack the suggestion about "open carry", why? Is this personal

Old 08-25-2012, 10:15 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,564,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
My wife and I are coming up on our wedding anniversary this Fall and chose Asheville because it combines some of our favorite things: craft beer, fall foliage/mountains, and good restaurants.

I'm sure I was being naive, but I really pictured Asheville as this cultured, well-kept little city with neat restaurants, brewpubs, and fun beer bars (It is supposed to be Beer City, USA after all). The more I research, I'm hearing some really "creepy" things about Asheville. People completely strung out on drugs just laying around downtown, panhandlers everywhere, etc. I travel for work, so I am no stranger to big cities. I also live in St. Louis, which is definitely not the safest downtown in the US. Some cities seems to not have much of a panhandler element and then others are rampant (Washington DC is one of the worst I've ever seen). I also realize that the bad things get all the posts and the good things get glossed over.

My question is, would staying downtown be a good choice for an anniversary trip? Ideally, my wife and I would love to sightsee during the day (Blue Ridge Pkwy, Biltmore, etc.) and then be able to experience the brewpubs and restaurants at night. My biggest concern is I don't want to be walking back to our hotel (looking at Hotel Indigo) at 11pm, midnight, etc. and feel like we're being descended upon by druggies, panhandlers, or in an unsafe situation. I would NEVER have my friends walk around in downtown St. Louis at midnight, unless there was a sporting event downtown. I was surprised to read several posts on various websites saying that you shouldn't walk back to your hotel in Asheville if it's more than a few blocks after 10pm because it's not safe.

We'd love to stay downtown for the convenience of being only a few blocks from restaurants and bars, and not needing to drive after having some drinks (which we won't do). If we're going to risk some uncomfortable or possibly unsafe situations though, I'd rather just stay outside Asheville and hit up downtown during the days.

I know it can't all be bad, but I also want the honest scoop. This is for an anniversary, and we'd like to have a fun, stress-free time. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

Asheville is fine, every city has its dingy parts and Asheville is not immune. Yes, there are some characters; but the beauty of the city and its surroundings far outweigh any negatives.

May I suggest you try a nice Bed and Breakfast ... there are several, well run, beautiful B&Bs and the owners can point you in the right direction to see things you may miss out on if you don't have the inside scoop. Here are a few websites that should help you out: www.romanticasheville.com a plethora of up to date happenings and places to stay. www.downtownasheville.com Between those two, you should have plenty of good info ! Happy Anniversary, and have a great visit.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:16 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,475,811 times
I don't think you will have that kind of problem in asheville. Kinda silly to think about butttt.... I think you might be better off heading to boone/blowing rock or a smaller town near the smokies. Don't get me wrong, i love asheville, but it sounds like we like the same kinds of things and I would never choose to stay in a hotel in asheville for a romantic getaway. You could always look into cabins around the outskirts of town, but a smaller town sounds more idealistic.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:43 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,072,201 times
I appreciate everyone's suggestions. And Asheville Native, don't get all bent out of shape, I think you took me the wrong way. I live in St. Louis...the city that is often called "The Most Dangerous City in the United States" (scary music plays). I know how stuff gets overblown and posted by people that freak out about any little thing. That's why I was asking for honest feedback.

I also travel regularly and stay in downtown Chicago, Milwaukee, Boston, Nashville, Cleveland, and Washington DC. I'm not a person who is scared to go out at night! My real point was to figure out if staying in Asheville would be a nice trip for an anniversary getaway with my wife. For example, Boston is an area my wife and I love and very much considered staying there for a getaway, because we loved walking around downtown and visiting the restaurants at night. I was thinking Asheville might have the same "vibe", but it seems like I might be wrong. From what I'm hearing, Asheville sounds like a neat place to see and visit during the day, but I would probably be better off renting a house or staying at a B&B outside Asheville. That's fair, and I appreciate everyone's suggestions/advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina