Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 11:58 AM

194 posts, read 431,184 times

Advertisements

Hi All! My husband and I are coming to Asheville for 1 day/night this weekend. What do you reccomend we do? We like the bar scene which we will do at night, any reccomendations for the day? I looked into the Biltmore and its a little pricey, can anyone else reccomend something else? Thanks for your help we are very excited to visit your city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:06 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma67 View Post
Hi All! My husband and I are coming to Asheville for 1 day/night this weekend. What do you reccomend we do? We like the bar scene which we will do at night, any reccomendations for the day? I looked into the Biltmore and its a little pricey, can anyone else reccomend something else? Thanks for your help we are very excited to visit your city!
Take a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway ! you can get a map of where to get on and off on the website if you Google it. You can stop at some beautiful mileposts which are marked clearly, and go to some "overlooks" where you will see some spectacular views. Grandfather Mountain might suit you for a few hours as well. If you are into exquisite crafts and pottery, visit the Folk Art Center/Southern Highland Crafts Guild shop just off the parkway in Asheville.

I would not spend the $$ to go to the Biltmore Estate because your time is so short, it will take the better part of a day to wander around there. Wait until you have more days.

As for the bar scene, entertainment, see what is going on at the "Orange Peel". Ask at your hotel, they will have suggestions.

Have fun !

Old 10-20-2011, 02:32 PM

Thank you so much for your help! We are very excited!

Old 10-21-2011, 05:51 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
Here is a very good BRPkway map; I too rec'd a lil'drive up on the Parkway.
GL, mD

BPRkway...page 4 puts you in the A'ville area:
http://www.virtualblueridge.com/maps...arkway-map.pdf

Another general link:
Blue Ridge Skyline Parkway Drive

Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 AM

Thank you MotorDavid!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:50 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Spent yesterday in Asheville and got home last night. We stopped in at the Visitor's Center. They have TONS of info on things to do and see. Asheville Visitor Center | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site You can check out some things online. They have trolley tours which look like fun. We didn't do that. We're going to do it next trip. We already had a plan of some things to see - Grove Arcade and Biltmore Village (this is not in the Biltmore Estate). We didn't have the entire day in Asheville, but we got to see some great things!

And the BRP is GORGEOUS! Be sure to bring a camera. Also make sure to check out the BRP website for closings. Last year part of it closed on 10/31 or 11/1. Can't remember which one. I was on it the day before it closed and was glad I got to get on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina