Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:31 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times

Advertisements

boy, that was a loooong journey. 2 years ago we started checking the area around asheville, came down 6 times (1200 miles drive each time - kids hated that after the third time ....), trouble with the builder, our plan, our development went under, could not find a new lot, post boned the move (again ..), found a lot, then the HOA caused so much trouble, my husbands company got bought off with lots of changes ... ... my/our plans seemed to turn in a never ending drama.
but - persistence is good and finally paid off !

in the afternoon of 12/31 , sitting in the motel in Asheville with our realtor and discussing strategies and options, we got a call, our offer was accepted ! we signed the papers right away .... and are SO released now !

we still have the dream of small, green-built home in the future - but really like the new one and I see so much potential ! in times of a really bad economy building a home is just a risk and we are just happy, we were able to get this one home at an unbelievable low price.

will move to South Asheville (still city) in July - very mixed neighborhood, no cookie cutter area at all, lots of trees, safe for kids playing in the street, met very nice neighbors already !
So PLEASE keep your fingers crossed, closing in early february will go well and the queen of bavaria can take over WNC - turning the nightmare into a dream again
I SO feel this is the right thing to do !!

thanks for listening, just had do share this news with you guys !

I wish you wonderful 2011 with tons of happy moments, laughter and health

QoB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
What a wonderful way to start off the new year -- congratulations !!!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Isn't it ? thanks so much !!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 AM

181 posts, read 331,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
boy, that was a loooong journey. 2 years ago we started checking the area around asheville, came down 6 times (1200 miles drive each time - kids hated that after the third time ....), trouble with the builder, our plan, our development went under, could not find a new lot, post boned the move (again ..), found a lot, then the HOA caused so much trouble, my husbands company got bought off with lots of changes ... ... my/our plans seemed to turn in a never ending drama.
but - persistence is good and finally paid off !

in the afternoon of 12/31 , sitting in the motel in Asheville with our realtor and discussing strategies and options, we got a call, our offer was accepted ! we signed the papers right away .... and are SO released now !

we still have the dream of small, green-built home in the future - but really like the new one and I see so much potential ! in times of a really bad economy building a home is just a risk and we are just happy, we were able to get this one home at an unbelievable low price.

will move to South Asheville (still city) in July - very mixed neighborhood, no cookie cutter area at all, lots of trees, safe for kids playing in the street, met very nice neighbors already !
So PLEASE keep your fingers crossed, closing in early february will go well and the queen of bavaria can take over WNC - turning the nightmare into a dream again
I SO feel this is the right thing to do !!

thanks for listening, just had do share this news with you guys !

I wish you wonderful 2011 with tons of happy moments, laughter and health

QoB
I can't think of a better way to start the new year. Congrats!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:32 AM

765 posts, read 2,569,037 times
Congratulations, glad to see things finally worked out for you. So when is the big move? Have you sold the house in NJ yet? I know its been a long process for you but I think you've learned a lot that will be useful in the future if you do decide to build a house. Please don't drop off the list like some of our other long term posters, I've really enjoyed sharing the journey with you--Larry

Old 01-02-2011, 01:31 PM

120 posts, read 390,857 times
Congratulations on your house and welcome to WNC! May you be blessed with much happiness! And yes, please continue to post on this board as the adventure continues with living in Asheville. Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2011, 02:02 PM

Hey, QoB: Where are you from in NJ? I have a sis who still lives in Scotch Plains (she used to live in Chester) and a best friend is in North Plainfield. My list goes on because I also worked in a number of different places there.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:50 PM

thanks so much for being happy WITH and FOR me

Cofga was close, but I only live next to NJ - in Dela-where !

No, we havn't sold our home (didn't even try) but have friends, who fell in love with it.
looks like we would sign a rent-to-own agreement.

Of course I will stay, cofga. thought the same thing and miss a couple of users, who were so active, UNTIL they have found what they were looking for.
can't wait for being asked for advise as a 'local' - like the 'take and give' character, a place like city data has !

Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Well, even better that you're moving away from Dela Ware and her insane traffic and double bridges to carry the masses. Despite the fact that I do not know you, you'll be better off on this cleaner side of the mountains.

Your vivaciousness in these forums remind me of a longtime family friend. She was so upbeat, even when she was "pissed off" (her words not mine ). It's refreshing.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:34 PM

thank you

actually, my families health is number one reason for me to move. delaware is - sadly - wellknown for a high cancer rate - dirty water, dirty air and not too much you can do about it

of course WNC has it's issues too - but nothing compared to here.

traffic wise we were always lucky - hit I 95 once a month (since hubby works from home) and live a peaceful live in the middle of the state.
but health concerns ARE a huge deal.
also - I really do miss diversity, when it comes to people, food and cultural life.
we went for dinner and lunch several times this past weekend in asheville - boy, the people were SO nice and the food SO good !

Ok, the weather was bad .. but ... as we germans say - there is no bad weather, just bad clothing .

eg., I played my african drum for many years in germany and did not find a single place here in delaware to continue. I am in contact with an all women drum group in asheville already, read about the drum circle once a month and can't wait !

well, as you can tell ... had two glasses of champagne this afternoon, excuse me being that bubbly ! It's just happiness !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina