Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:01 PM

267 posts, read 807,230 times

Advertisements

I was months from moving somewhere in WNC from Florida when I met my wife. Put things on hold for a while, and then what I thought was permanently because my wife's twin sister lives here as well, and the idea of not living close together was too much to handle. Luckily for me, this summer has thrown her over the edge, and she is now in favor of the move.

I'm a stay at home dad, and would probably seek a position in a state or federal park program (ranger duties if I was really lucky, but I'm not sure I'd care one way or the other). My wife is the main bread winner, and she's a registered respiratory therapist at the local hospital. From recent job searches in the Asheville area, it seems work for her will not be hard to find.

My main question is living expenses. Looks like Asheville proper is pretty expensive compared to here, so we'd be looking at living outside the city somewhere. We have 3 kids, so we'd be looking for a decent school system. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that might match our circumstances.

We'd also consider areas other than Asheville, but would need a good sized hospital for my wife to work at. Pretty much anything that would give us the opportunity to live the mountain life we've grown to love in our visits there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 02:54 AM

147 posts, read 471,918 times
Time to get realistic.

Seems like half of Florida wants to move to the NC mountains and get a good job, outside of town with some land in an area with top schools etc., etc., etc.

All for under 250k for a house on 3 acres.

There is an epidemic going on of people putting unrealistic expectations on moving to the state of North Carolina.

Florida = the mountains.

Massachusetts, New Jersey and Long Island = the triangle.

Ohio and Michigan = Charlotte.

What is going on?

Old 06-28-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post
Time to get realistic.

Seems like half of Florida wants to move to the NC mountains and get a good job, outside of town with some land in an area with top schools etc., etc., etc.

All for under 250k for a house on 3 acres.

There is an epidemic going on of people putting unrealistic expectations on moving to the state of North Carolina.

Florida = the mountains.

Massachusetts, New Jersey and Long Island = the triangle.

Ohio and Michigan = Charlotte.

What is going on?

While I'm sure the influx of Floridians in the area may have some people upset (you possibly??), understand that Floridians have been dealing with the same thing for...well...forever? There really are very few "Floridians". Myself, I was born in PA, and moved with my family when I was 10. Florida is flat, hot, and uninteresting, unless you enjoy sweating your arse off at the beach 50 times per year. Beyond that? Not much going on.

We are hikers, enjoy the outdoors. We miss the seasons, and have spent much time in western NC over the last few years.

We are NOT being unrealistic. We plan on moving there and renting, as we are doing here. We plan on putting the kids in a decent public school, as we are doing here. My wife plans on practicing her profession, as she does here, and has done in a couple other states.

I'm not sure what is unrealistic about that, but maybe your superior intellect can help to educate me...

Old 06-28-2009, 09:53 AM

279 posts, read 534,528 times
I think you'll be surprised what you can find in Asheville right now. We just finished our house hunt and there were quite a few listings that would have worked for us. We also found that people are willing to negotiate on the rents.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuck View Post
I think you'll be surprised what you can find in Asheville right now. We just finished our house hunt and there were quite a few listings that would have worked for us. We also found that people are willing to negotiate on the rents.
Yeah, that's pretty much what's going on here as well. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-28-2009, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 9,497 times
My friend has already lowered her Asheville home asking price 20% and may go even lower. The bad economy is a plus for potential renters and home buyers. Looks like the signs are pointing your way.

West Asheville is making a nice turn so you may want to look at that area or going out a little, Weaverville or the Arden/Skyland/Fletcher areas are places you'll want to look into as well.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:44 PM

765 posts, read 2,570,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaco View Post
My friend has already lowered her Asheville home asking price 20% and may go even lower. The bad economy is a plus for potential renters and home buyers. Looks like the signs are pointing your way.
Is that 20% below the 2006 maximum value or below some more moderate asking price? In many areas around the country home values have dropped 30-50% or even more where foreclosed homes dominate the market. From what I've seen houses priced above about $250K are moving very slow. I saw one house listed in the Skyland area that started at $320K then dropped to $310K, then it was pulled from the market. About 7 days ago it was reposted at a price of $230K--guess the owner finally got desperate and reality set in!

Old 06-28-2009, 01:59 PM

Prices here in SW Florida have dropped below 2003 levels now. Might have something to do with at least one empty house per street. Man did this state empty out...

Old 06-28-2009, 02:09 PM

147 posts, read 471,918 times
Quote:
While I'm sure the influx of Floridians in the area may have some people upset (you possibly??), understand that Floridians have been dealing with the same thing for...well...forever? There really are very few "Floridians". Myself, I was born in PA, and moved with my family when I was 10. Florida is flat, hot, and uninteresting, unless you enjoy sweating your arse off at the beach 50 times per year. Beyond that? Not much going on.

We are hikers, enjoy the outdoors. We miss the seasons, and have spent much time in western NC over the last few years.

We are NOT being unrealistic. We plan on moving there and renting, as we are doing here. We plan on putting the kids in a decent public school, as we are doing here. My wife plans on practicing her profession, as she does here, and has done in a couple other states.

I'm not sure what is unrealistic about that, but maybe your superior intellect can help to educate me...
Congratulations. Seems like you have it all figured out. Perhaps you should add as your signature line, "As long as you tell me what I want to hear."

Also, I don't care that Florida has been paved over by out-of-control development and the quality of life has declined to the point that people are fleeing the place. My interest is that the same dismal result does not happen to North Carolina.

In North Carolina, the current unemployment rate, environmental degradation, overcrowded schools and massive state deficit are troubling signs.

Welcome to NC. As you know it is a beautiful state. Anyone has the right to live anywhere they like in this country and I would never deny a person the opportunity to improve their life situation. But the attitudes of people seems to me a bit ridiculous. It seems like they are saying, "we used this place up and now we have to get out of this broken cesspool. Lets move to North Carolina! Wonder what will happen there?

Why not try to improve where you are or is there no pride in it?

Old 06-28-2009, 02:57 PM

184 posts, read 448,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post
Congratulations. Seems like you have it all figured out. Perhaps you should add as your signature line, "As long as you tell me what I want to hear."

Also, I don't care that Florida has been paved over by out-of-control development and the quality of life has declined to the point that people are fleeing the place. My interest is that the same dismal result does not happen to North Carolina.

In North Carolina, the current unemployment rate, environmental degradation, overcrowded schools and massive state deficit are troubling signs.

Welcome to NC. As you know it is a beautiful state. Anyone has the right to live anywhere they like in this country and I would never deny a person the opportunity to improve their life situation. But the attitudes of people seems to me a bit ridiculous. It seems like they are saying, "we used this place up and now we have to get out of this broken cesspool. Lets move to North Carolina! Wonder what will happen there?

Why not try to improve where you are or is there no pride in it?
That's Jello Biafra, you cant just speak to him like that!

Seriously though, I don't disagree with what you are saying but people are going to relocate, it's just how it is. We wouldn't have this great country of ours if it weren't for people saying lets try someplace new so we can better ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina