Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM

181 posts, read 333,654 times

Advertisements

Hey, QofB:
You look us up when you get here, please. You minimally have Marcus' website address - get them to contact me - and I think I slipped you one of my email addresses. You and your kids will fit in just fine in the Friday night drumming circle in the center of town. Your kids can use hula hoops and record everything and you and your husband can groove to the beat of a different drummer . Bring your drum but you can't bring your wine into the park - it's well policed and I watched the cops bring a guy out who had left a bottle or can of something outside the park in a paper bag.

Happy Trails to y'all and I'm glad you're getting out of Delaware. We didn't consider it because it is so very polluted. Looking forward to coffee or a micro brewery beer with you folks.

BBurl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,900,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
How exciting! Is it okay if I envy you?

If it's any consolation, buying an existing home is about the greenest thing you can do.

CONGRATULATIONS!
sure ! thanks for asking

in general I agree. Would feel like a crime to build another one. BUT - after we've seen about 25 homes, we did not find ONE, that featured, what we wanted.
Our home plan (I willl keep it, who knows ... ) features 5 bedrooms, 1 office, large kitchen and breakfast room, family room (vaulted) and kids family room, 3 bathrooms - and all on 2600 sqft.
ALL the existing 5 bedroom homes, we've seen, were about 3500 to 4500 sqft, had family rooms made for ballroom dancing, were usually insulated badly, had totally inefficient fireplaces and expensive kitchens, which never met our taste.
making these homes 'green' and fit our family, would have cost a lot of money - and they still would have been alright, not great.
next problem was living so far away. we came down 5 times, my husband another 3 times .... it felt like never ending.

I would have loved one of this new 'smart homes for smart people' cottages - you can find one with 4 bedrooms, unfinished basement under 2000 sqft in a very appealing arts and crafts style - but they were usually in the asheville city school district ....

if you would ask our realtor, I am sure, he would call us high maintencance customers - but - we just know EXACTLY what we want.
and with this house (being a very good deal) we found something with great potential and have some money left, to make it work out for us. we will never reach a good energy star level, I guess - but the first thing, we'll do, is to get rid of this gas fire place and put a wood stove in there.
found one with 95% efficiency instead of 25% (fire place).

but, as i said, in general you are right, for the environment it is the better decision.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburl100 View Post
Hey, QofB:
You look us up when you get here, please. You minimally have Marcus' website address - get them to contact me - and I think I slipped you one of my email addresses. You and your kids will fit in just fine in the Friday night drumming circle in the center of town. Your kids can use hula hoops and record everything and you and your husband can groove to the beat of a different drummer . Bring your drum but you can't bring your wine into the park - it's well policed and I watched the cops bring a guy out who had left a bottle or can of something outside the park in a paper bag.

Happy Trails to y'all and I'm glad you're getting out of Delaware. We didn't consider it because it is so very polluted. Looking forward to coffee or a micro brewery beer with you folks.

BBurl
thanks, that's so sweet ! I know this alcohol things from delaware, totally fine with me.
can't wait for the drum circle. My hometown in germany always hosts germany's biggest african festival - hundreds and hundreds of dancing and singing people, amazing.
we'll get in touch with you

Old 01-03-2011, 04:06 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,475,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
sure ! thanks for asking

in general I agree. Would feel like a crime to build another one. BUT - after we've seen about 25 homes, we did not find ONE, that featured, what we wanted.

I would have loved one of this new 'smart homes for smart people' cottages - you can find one with 4 bedrooms, unfinished basement under 2000 sqft in a very appealing arts and crafts style - but they were usually in the asheville city school district ....

but, as i said, in general you are right, for the environment it is the better decision.
I know what you mean. I too feel like I'm marching to a different drummer. I often see houses where I think the builder used no thought process whatsoever.

Yeah, if I built something, it would at least be built to stand the test of time (and energy). I want a house that's not too small or too big and has character and style. I hate large houses that are long on space and short on style and livability.

We will keep renting for a while because I'm not sure where I want to be, not to mention where the economy is going. We are looking at a house tomorrow. The owners are a couple who buy up nice foreclosed properties for cash and rent them out. We won't have to worry about the house being sold for a change. It's a stable situation.

We plan to make a lot of short trips this year to see different areas.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM

good luck to you !

and, yes, I have seen SO many McMansions with zero atmosphere and flair (are these english words at all ) ?). mostly you can say, the bigger, the harder to make it cozy and the worse they look.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 AM

765 posts, read 2,581,488 times
We went through that issue when we were looking too. We actually wanted to downsize from the ~2000 sq ft house we had to something more in the 1500 sq ft range but we also wanted at least 1/2 acre. All the newer homes we saw on 1/4 acre or more were huge! We finally figured out that in order to get something smaller we'd have to go back in time so we ended up with a house built ~1965 on 1/2 acre and even then we ended up with almost 3000 sq ft including the heated basement--the first floor alone is as big as our old house. You almost have to build if you want something mid-sized on a nice sized piece of land.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:26 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,247,474 times
LOL...go back in time to 1965!!!! I REALLY wanted to go back in time!!!! LOL! I bought a farmhouse built in 1886, restored it and live on a river w/ my horses on a small piece of property....almost 3 acres...it's my idea of HEAVEN!

Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 PM

904 posts, read 2,887,840 times
Welcome to Asheville. It's been 3 years for us and we still love it here. You are right, the people are wonderful. I am from Florida and they are still nice to me! It was the best move we have ever made. The kids will come around as soon as they start making friends. Mine were all for the move until we actually made it. Starting a new school in a new town was hard but got better over time.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM

thanks !

VBmom, yeah, I think so too, as soon as they have adjusted to school, everything will be easier.
After 4 years in charter school my oldest one (will be 8th grade next school year) is looking forward to finally NOT having a school dress code anymore and to owning her LOCKER

Old 01-05-2011, 01:58 PM

904 posts, read 2,887,840 times
Let the kids complain if they need to. Sometimes just venting a little helps. There will be days when they blame you for moving them. It's not easy. Just keep telling them that it will get better, that you understand and that you aren't going back. My oldest tried everything from moving in with grandma to asking if her best friends mother could raise her. We just kept saying that this move was made for all of us and that there wasn't anything to go back to. Our jobs and our lives were here now. It took some time but she made new friends and that made things easier for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina