Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,388 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Ashland, OR and recently visited Asheville, NC. I drove all over the area including out to Lake Toxaway and Westminster, SC and saw only 1 or 2 drive-thru coffee stands. Out here there are 1 or 2 per block! I'm currently researching opening one in the greater Asheville area and would appreciate some local feedback as I'm not at all familiar with southern culture.

I do know that Asheville is a liberal community and home to many famous writers throughout history. As a writer myself, I love the play on the name I've chosen: Coffe, Inc. ^ Ink -- the "Inc." will be crossed out in a single red line with a red ^ inserted and "Ink" written above it. In addition to "ink" referring to the written word (writers love their coffee), I'd also like to subtly hint towards retro-style tatoo art which is way popular in fashion and mainstream culture out here. My biz tag line (under the name) would be "America's coolest coffee company." I'm hoping to appeal to the younger demographic on up through seniors.

Is this too alternative or progressive for the south? Or just plain doesn't work in general? Or is it catchy? My feelings will not be hurt. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 07:59 PM

679 posts, read 1,461,260 times
I've spent a fair amount of time in Anchorage on business and they have coffee huts about every 2 blocks. I think it is a great idea, low overhead, convenience, etc.

As for how it would go over here, I know one opened in Fletcher a few months ago in the parking lot next to Blue Sky. Unfortunately, while I am not far from there it is not on my normal path, so I can't say how they are doing.

In general, I've seen a few coffee shops here go by the way of the dodo but I think the prime culprit was the rent. Obviously the coffee hut does not have that problem to the same degree. If one was convenient to me, I'd be by there a few times a week.

Oh, and the Alaska business model seems to involve hiring a couple of young ladies to work the morning commuter times. Every incentive helps!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 AM

765 posts, read 2,567,864 times
I have been totally amazed at the lack of a drive-in coffee shop down here. Of course we have few stand alone Starbucks--most are in Ingles grocery stores. Location will obviously be the key to the success of one of these. Locate on a major street like Hendersonville Rd/Merrimon Ave or Haywood and it could be a killer business. As for the name it seems kind of strange to me but then I think tattoos are a dangerous unsanitary tribal anachronism.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:37 AM

113 posts, read 496,167 times
Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks.

Resist corporate coffee!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:32 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldblackfeather View Post
I currently live in Ashland, OR
We moved to Asheville in 2004 from Jacksonville, OR!

Aside from loving and supporting local J'ville coffeehouses, I was a very loyal Dutch Bros customer. Between at least four drive-thrus they knew my fave coffee beverage and sometimes my name.

The absence of convenient and/or independent drive-thru coffee places here in WNC is saddening. Being a self-employed Mom on-the-go, it's not that easy to fight downtown traffic, park, and fiddle for parking meter change to support local most days. I'm all for more drive-thrus.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:11 AM

113 posts, read 496,167 times
I spent my first year of college at Oregon State. The rain, the rain.

Didn't drink coffee back then.

Last edited by JAG_HRD; 06-18-2010 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: I goofed!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:57 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,260 times
There's already a drive through coffee place on Hendersonville Road (across from the entrance to Vanderbilt Park Medical Complex). I would venture to say that there are more in the area than one would realize, heck, there's even one in Fletcher if that tells you anything and I know of one out in Hendersonville too. I think they're probably small and unless you know that they are there or are looking for it it doesn't stand out.

I don't think the idea is too "progressive or alternative" for the area. Hipsters are everywhere these days . Asheville isn't exactly a back-woods "BFE" kind of place.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:17 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
There's already a drive through coffee place on Hendersonville Road (across from the entrance to Vanderbilt Park Medical Complex).
I know of this one. I'd venture to say that just recently they started keeping realistic hours - early. If that was my business, being near all the medical, I'd personally be open at the crack of dawn to service all the docs, nurses, etc... The few times I've pulled in there before or after the gym they've been closed. At 8am even. Yet, at the Biltmore Starbucks location, medical personnel line to the door and somtimes out as early as 6am. I'm not for or against Starbucks, but the demand is definitely here for early morning coffee and convenience.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:51 AM

14 posts, read 56,904 times
There are several StarBucks and a lot of coffee shops in the downtown area. Not so many with drive ins...

Old 06-28-2010, 12:55 AM

358 posts, read 982,820 times
I'm not a coffee drinker, so maybe I just "don't get it," but couldn't you just go by a Bojangles or McDonald's or something for your morning coffee???

By the way, Mountain Java, on Merrimon, has a drive through. Dunno the hours, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina