Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times

Advertisements

First of all, it is definitely not "too progressive" for the South, especially Asheville. People down here love their coffee too. In Asheville in particular, you will need to serve really GOOD coffee in order to compete; that is the main thing. People here really like their coffee, and they seem to know a lot about what is good coffee and what isn't, partially because we're spoiled by having several local coffee roasters. If I were you, I would talk to some of the local roasters about seeing if you could sell their stuff at your business, as people here are very big on buying local products. That would earn you a lot of points. I don't think Mountain Java does a whole ton of business, and I think it's because their coffee isn't so great. There are so many places to get good coffee here that you will need to be extraordinary in order to succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,387 times
Hey, y'all! Thank you for your AWESOME replies to my post! I love all the feedback and it was great to hear how many people moved from Oregon out to Asheville! I've since thought of renaming to GO! Coffee with Drive-Thru Espresso Bar underneath and have created a kind of retro-sporty logo using mocha brown and that bright light green color. Doing this is soooooo much more work than I anticipated and your encouraging comments have motivated me even more. I think it could be a winner, it's all the initial work that's so complicated.

Moderator cut: No links to personal blogs, please.

I'm going to Atlanta and Athens next month and thought I'd see what that area was like, too. It's hard living on the other side of the country and planning the best location!

Thank you agian!
Laura

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-02-2010 at 03:03 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 9,866 times
ive always thought that an eggroll drive tru would be great.not the plain ones like in a regular chinese rest but with good stuff in it.when i was in hong kong way back in the seventys the street venders had some amazing eggrolls your fren truck wilkins

Old 11-23-2010, 12:09 PM

13 posts, read 54,229 times
Not sure if you're still thinking about this or not...
Asheville is a progressive island in the South, so your idea wouldn't come as new to many of the people, most of whom are not from here originally. We have a number of excellent independent coffee shops and roasters, most using fair-trade coffee, a value of many here. We don't have a lot of drive-thru's, but that might be a possibility. How about a coffee cart for downtown. I think that would do better. I know of a coffee shop that seemed to be in an excellent location traveled by tons of traffic, yet it went out of business. I think people just head to town to work or shop and then head home. If they are going to get coffee, they just wait to get to town. If you did your own roasting and had something exceptional to offer like super low prices for extremely good coffee or incredible specials like one place here with a unique pumpkin latte, you might make it. I was in a course at a local nonprofit a couple of years ago to get some small biz training and one of my classmates wanted to start a drive thru coffee place. She never got it off the ground. You really need to do the market research. Oh, and I'm not sure your name would make sense to a lot of people. I'd keep thinking about it. Let me know if you're still planning this. Wishing you the best!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:37 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldblackfeather View Post
I do know that Asheville is a liberal community
To tell you the Truth, once you get out of the "City" The Average Local is Conservative....

Old 11-23-2010, 07:29 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
You may have better luck with a sweet tea drive thru. This is the south. Not a lot of coffee drinkers here unless they are from somewhere else. There is one drive thru place up at the Biltmore Mall on Rt.191 and other than that one little one just popped up on Rt. 25 in Fletcher.

Not even any Dunkin Donuts here, hopefully it will stay that way. They tend to take over every block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina