Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 14,589 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!!

Im moving to South Florida, to do my residency in medicine. The hospitals I will be working are John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Atlantis and the VA Hospital in West Palm Beach. This is the first time Im moving away from my family and Im moving alone, so being in a safe area is very important to me. Help me please if you know the closest and safest areas!! I was doing some research from previous threads and everybody were talking about: Palm Beach Gardens, North Palm Beach, Wellington as nice places- but how far away they are from both hospital?

Any advice please. Thanks you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 PM

232 posts, read 774,278 times
Positives are that both hospitals are close the i 95 and about a 15 to 20 minute drive between them. Negatives are that both hospitals are in not so good areas. The VA is in west Riviera Beach but is pretty new and safe. Not sure about JFK but looks to be in the center lake worth.

I would recommend City Place - it’s really right between them, close to the interstate, safe and alot to do. Otherwise Palm Beach Gardens is north of VA about 10 minutes and Delray/Boca are south of JFK about 10-15 minutes. Wellington would be closer to JFK as its more west of JFK and about 20 to 30 minutes from the VA.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHawkeye View Post
Positives are that both hospitals are close the i 95 and about a 15 to 20 minute drive between them. Negatives are that both hospitals are in not so good areas. The VA is in west Riviera Beach but is pretty new and safe. Not sure about JFK but looks to be in the center lake worth.

I would recommend City Place - it’s really right between them, close to the interstate, safe and alot to do. Otherwise Palm Beach Gardens is north of VA about 10 minutes and Delray/Boca are south of JFK about 10-15 minutes. Wellington would be closer to JFK as its more west of JFK and about 20 to 30 minutes from the VA.
Thank you so much!!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 PM

665 posts, read 1,729,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHawkeye View Post
What did you do, look at a map and just make sh$%t up???

You answered this post having never been to the Hospital but you spew "facts" about how bad the area is ??? You very obviously have NO IDEA where JFK hospital is ..... do you?

JFK is in a fine area. You while have NO problem in that area whatsoever.

The VA, again is fine and there is NO threat of any trouble there either.

Jees, where do these people get their info........????

Old 04-14-2011, 04:54 AM

70 posts, read 176,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdless View Post
Hi everybody!!

Im moving to South Florida, to do my residency in medicine. The hospitals I will be working are John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Atlantis and the VA Hospital in West Palm Beach. This is the first time Im moving away from my family and Im moving alone, so being in a safe area is very important to me. Help me please if you know the closest and safest areas!! I was doing some research from previous threads and everybody were talking about: Palm Beach Gardens, North Palm Beach, Wellington as nice places- but how far away they are from both hospital?

Any advice please. Thanks you!!!
Near Atlantis? It depends where you're from, if you want to be close there are some nice areas nearby in Boynton like Renaissance Commons and I've only driven through both areas but they look fine. All of the areas you mentioned in your post are pretty far when it comes to commuting to work everyday.

I used to have an office in North Palm and lived near Atlantis and the commute was about 30 mins (Northlake Blvd is a nightmare in the morning) and I rarely did the speed limit on I-95. Wellington is about 18 mins away if you're taking Lake Worth Rd all the way across.

What are you hoping to get out of your lifestyle around home when you move?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 AM

My training will be most of the time at the JFK Hospital at atlantis, like 8 months out of 12, so i prefer to live more close to this hospital. Of course i will visit the area in May for the final desicion, just looking right now at good places, but is so difficult when you dont know anything about the area.
What do you thing of Lantana? IS the City Place area very expensive? Im thinking in something between $800-1000, and will love to have fun places to go when Im off, besides of the beach.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
My training will be most of the time at the JFK Hospital at atlantis, like 8 months out of 12, so i prefer to live more close to this hospital. Of course i will visit the area in May for the final desicion, just looking right now at good places, but is so difficult when you dont know anything about the area.
What do you thing of Lantana? IS the City Place area very expensive? Im thinking in something between $800-1000, and will love to have fun places to go when Im off, besides of the beach.
Is Flamingo Parks area a nice one? Is in the middle of both hospital, thats what im looking for?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
The City Place area is very expensive by local standards and Lantana as far as I've seen personally is pretty much middle to lower-middle class to lower class. You're going to have to drive around to find entertainment period as the area isn't as fun for a twenty-something as you'd find heading south to Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

One thing I tend to suggest is if you have to work make sure you're living somewhat close to either the Florida Turnpike or I-95. In this case, I-95.

Areas I'd look in with that price range:

Boynton Beach, small pockets of Lake Worth (closer to the water), small pockets of Lantana (like the area southeast of I-95 & Lantana Rd), Atlantis (nothing wrong with it), and eastern Wellington.

Your price shouldn't be an issue since it's pretty much middle class around your job. When you come down be sure to rent a car and drive around at night to really understand some areas; some border not-so-pleasant areas.

Quote:
Is Flamingo Parks area a nice one? Is in the middle of both hospital, thats what im looking for?
Honestly, I'm not the one to answer this; I've driven past it many times, but never been inside of the area for a long period of time. I did see many South Americans and lower-middle class homes though. It felt a bit like Queens, NY.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:26 AM

665 posts, read 1,729,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrypositive View Post

Honestly, I'm not the one to answer this; I've driven past it many times, but never been inside of the area for a long period of time. I did see many South Americans and lower-middle class homes though. It felt a bit like Queens, NY.

You've never BEEN to Flamingo Park then. This is a VERY nice neighborhood which is filled with historic homes and beautiful landscaping. The only part of Queens it may look like would be Douglasten Manor or Bayside Hills.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
You've never BEEN to Flamingo Park then. This is a VERY nice neighborhood which is filled with historic homes and beautiful landscaping. The only part of Queens it may look like would be Douglasten Manor or Bayside Hills.
You're right, I've never driven in it. I've must of been imagining driving on Parker Ave, Flamingo, and Dixie... I probably never ate at Great Wraps either. :-/

I don't think you know Queens--which is a very large place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach