Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 16,427 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have been reading this forum since my husband received his job offer for a company based in Pompano Beach. As neither one of us are familiar with south Florida at all, city-data forums have been a wealth of information. Right now, we live in a 2-bedroom high rise in downtown Chicago in the heart of the city, near Grant and Millennium Parks. My work now is less than a mile from my home, my son's preschool is 1/3 of a mile which we walk every day, so I haven't had the need to drive much in the over 7-years that we have lived here. I know that FL is more of a commute area and doesn't have the public transportation/walking/taxis like Chicago does so it will be something to get used to again. My son won't be eligible to enter kindy until 2014 so while schools aren't a huge issue yet, I want to at least be near the area that we would like to send him. From what I have read of the neighboring towns surrounding Pompano, I think that Boca Raton will be the best fit for our family (at least on paper), with Del Prado being the elem school we will go for - if we do the public school route. With CPS being what it is, we had planned on sending him to private if we stayed here, but would aren't opposed to public if the school is decent.

My questions for you all... We plan to rent for the first year, to get to know the area better, before pulling the trigger on a home purchase. Our budget is roughly +/- $2500k/mo. From what I've seen just by scoping Craigslist, that can get us either a decent home or a nice 2-bedroom condo on the ocean. Pros/Cons of neighborhood vs. ocean living there? I'm finding that a lot of places come fully furnished. Is this the norm there because of all of the tourists? I'd prefer to find an unfurnished place. Also, it seems that most rentals go through agents and require 3-months up front. Is that the norm?

Any recommendations on a decent preschool? My son shows gifted tendencies so I really want to put him in a place where he will be challenged and not a glorified daycare. We plan to visit Emerging Minds Montessori as a possibility when we visit the area later this week. Any other schools you would suggest? I've read about FL's VPK program. Do public elems have that or is that more so a separate, preschool thing? I didn't notice anything about it on Del Prado's website.

Also, for fellow relocaters - anything you wish you would have known before moving or anything you would have done differently?

Finally, any other areas you think we should add to our list of possibilities? We are flying down this Thu-Sun for our first trip to explore the area. My main focus is good schools, good parks, safe area to jog/bike, and a city with character rather than strip mall USA and chain restaurants all over the place.

Thank you for any insight you provide - will be much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
You're smart to rent first. Boca's an area people seem to either love or despise.

It's not (3) months up front per se.. They want 1st & last month's rent + a security deposit.
(Equal to (3) month's rent.)
I'm sure you're well aware this area's known for scam artists, so do your homework on who ever you'll be renting from.
(It's not unheard of for someone to rent their house out that's in foreclosure.)

It is pretty much "strip mall USA" as you put it, but there are some fabulous malls.

One thing you should consider as far as living close to the beach: during season (when the tourists are here), traffic can be beyond horrible. Also, insurance east of I-95 is significantlyl higher than west of it.

You might want to consider looking into an area in Deerfield Beach, which is just south of Boca.
There's a community called Star Light Cove which is just adorable, has a community feel not found easily down here, and it's not far from the beach.

I moved here (17) years ago from Milwaukee strictly for the weather/ocean.
It is nothing nothing like the midwest down here.
More like NYC in the south.

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM

66 posts, read 187,442 times
Hi - We are neighbors, i live in the Gold Coast. We decided to move to Jupiter, not quite sure where Pompano Beach is? I'd love to fill you in with what I know so far feel free to PM me

We are moving July 2013.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:21 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
I would really think about the move down here, not sure what industry or what type of job your husband works in, but often in some industries there is little to no other opportunities if the job does not work out or ends up only lasting a few years if that. Are you planning on working, what field? The job market down here blows right now and unemployment is very high.

If it's the defense industry I would highly think twice as looming defense budget cuts will eliminate thousands of jobs in Florida, in other words we ain't seeing the worst of the economic doom and gloom that is ahead after the election BS is over.

Pompano is a seedy and crime rideen area, not the most nicest part of Broward. I would not live in Pompano and Boca is easily a 15 to 20 mile drive depending on where in Boca. Near 95 will make the commute nicer but also a nightmare during rush hour.

South Florida is like Northern New Jersey when it comes to strip malls and sprawl...but there are areas that are more residental, just not like anything you see elsewhere.

Anything near the beach will be expensive, also seasonal and you will have to deal with Hurricanes Evacuations, if you are not comfortable with that than think more inland.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
THX is right on with this one...People DH knows moved to cooper city in 2011 and unfortunately he has lost his job went with a job transfer and has been out of work now since April of 2012...His position was eliminated and they only relocated to FLA because of the oppty, they are now looking to move back to PA where they moved from...He is in finance and came with an awesome job and his north salary and well didnt get him very far as he hasn't been able to find work and the work he has found the salaries are awful..We live in Boca and we are happy....We are very happy with our schools, however your child is very young yet but its still something you want to consider when you are ready to buy....renting for the 1st year is an excellent idea so you can get to know the areas well..

Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the insight! In our case, he works in manufacturing in a niche area so jobs haven't really been a problem for him - he actually gets calls from headhunters constantly. Not many people his age (late 30s) went into manufacturing so now that all of the boomers are starting to retire, finding skilled, competent people with his skill set is next to impossible. Add in the fact that the company is based in FL but all of the work is done in central America and right now, they can't even meet demand of clients for new products because they are that busy. Luckily, this particular company is a niche company as well that has been in business for well over 30 years so I feel good about the job for him. We are still working out the relo offer and all of that, but once that is signed, I will give my notice to my company where I currently work from home 40% of the time so I'm 99.9% sure that, at least in the short term, I will be able to keep my job on a remote basis. We actually moved to Chicago from MI so I am VERY familiar with a down economy, unfortunately.

I've read on here that Pompano is very suspect which is why I am looking more towards the north. One of his co-workers lives in Boynton Beach which I believe is north of Boca so I would imagine that the commute is doable if he's been doing it for quite a few years. Plus, I am very interested to see what is considered a lot of traffic in FL...here, my husband had a reverse commute 35 miles out of the city which usually resulted in a drive home upwards of 2+ hours because of traffic. ANYTHING is better than that.

My husband has suggested we check out Coral Springs and Parkland. I've seen mixed reviews on here regarding Parkland. I have added Deerfield Beach to the list so thanks for that suggestion! I looked at Jupiter but that seems like a haul to Pompano but I will add it to the list.

Any other preschool suggestions? The school that he's at now is AMAZING and I'm so sad to leave it...

Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 PM

Not to be blunt but I must forewarn you, Manufacturing is not a good field to be in down here, there is little opportunity to move up in a lot of companies since they are small and family owned places. Salaries are often below average and employers do not feel any pressure to be competitive on raises and bonuses either because they know there is no place else to go, you are literally trapped. Even more so if your in a specialty field like electronics manufacturing and cannot work in the medical or aerospace because you lack the experience and skill set. Medical and Aerospace is much larger down here and growing.

Many of the companies here are also very run down, facilities are not clean and modern, infrastructure is really dated and equipment and tools to do the job are equally lacking. Most are privately owned, owners are from the Northeast and opened an office down here so that they can live the Florida lifestyle and employees tend to come after all other needs are met and often you won't get what you are worth for salary, the right tools and equipment to do the job, the BMW and trip to Aspen comes first.

I know plenty of people from my business network who worked in Manufacturing, a few were Mechanical Engineers, Electrical and Mechanical Design Engineers and design and made stuff like Motorola Cell Phones and Blackberrys down in Broward working for Motorola and RIM who were once big employers here. They lost their jobs due to cut backs and downsizing and most moved out of Florida for opportunity in Texas. A few were able to find positions, but with less benefits and salaries than what they are use to, they are planning exits one the dismal job and housing market improves. These people are in the 30's and are highly educated and skilled.

Also I suggest you check out the company's history, look at LinkedIn to see how many people prior worked there and left, how well it's structured. How long the hiring manager was there, a long time is not always a good thing either.

I hope the job is paying well, above $85K, because the average salary here is $40K approx for individuals, and with one only working it would be a struggle to take a job for less than that, as well you won't get much of a pay bump if you take less, which is why a lot of people leave. Also based on your rental budget which is quite high with kids money will be key to survival.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
THX is right on with this one...People DH knows moved to cooper city in 2011 and unfortunately he has lost his job went with a job transfer and has been out of work now since April of 2012...His position was eliminated and they only relocated to FLA because of the oppty, they are now looking to move back to PA where they moved from...He is in finance and came with an awesome job and his north salary and well didnt get him very far as he hasn't been able to find work and the work he has found the salaries are awful..We live in Boca and we are happy....We are very happy with our schools, however your child is very young yet but its still something you want to consider when you are ready to buy....renting for the 1st year is an excellent idea so you can get to know the areas well..
Jobs in general, but Manufacturing is even worse. Most work is being outsourced from here, a lot of companies use to make stuff in Florida but outsource all of it to China or elsewhere. Aerospace is still prevalent, medical device companies and a few other specialty places.

One has to go into Alabama, Georgia, and the Carolinas and etc. for manufacturing as it's typically more prevalent where costs of operating are lower.

I am from Philly area originally, and Pennsylvania being a rust belt state still has a bunch of manufacturing in the snack industry and other numerous industries. People still eat snacks even during a recession, Beer is another one....

What always get's me is how willing people are to move to Florida without doing their homework or thinking taking less money will equal a great quality of life. Especially the people who have families with only one working spouse, when I read the story of that family from New Hampshire that sold everything they owned and moved to Port St. Lucie for a job at Digital Domain which paid $46,000....really makes me wonder?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1870945.html

Last edited by THX 1138; 09-10-2012 at 06:30 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 06:52 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Very True THX...Being down here 3 years I can say the cost of living in south florida is pretty high..we lived in the Carolina's for 2.5 years and manufacturing is big and the salaries are much better than Florida...DH's friend was able to get a job in Philly again he is in Financial IT like my DH and on the Business side...they loved florida too but thought it was difficult to live here and he was actually making a very nice living too so that made it more difficult in the new job search since again salaries in that industry in south florida well certainly no where that they should be...

Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 PM

While I appreciate the honesty and everyone sharing their opinion on the job market there, I think I need to be clear about a few things and hopefully move on to more info you could share on the general area (sans job market ) as that's really what I'm looking for here. It is a VP level position with a salary that equals the role; we're moving there because of the opportunity this job presents for our family - and even if it just lasts 2-3 years, the amount we can sock away will be wonderful as the COL there is WAY less than here. We are NOT moving to FL because we want a beach lifestyle, warm weather, etc. We live in an ideal location here, love our life here, and LOVE this city, but this is an opportunity that my husband has been thinking about since they first approached him almost a year ago. So again, it's not something we've thought about lightly! I appreciate the information on the cost of living, but where I live, the cost of living is crazy, Chicago has some of the highest income/real estate taxes in the nation and THE highest sales tax (10%!). I appreciate the feedback on the job market but we are set there. And if I'm being honest, I hope to be back here in the next 3-5 years as I just can't see myself falling in love with FL as I am a midwest girl who loves the seasons changing. I worry about it being too much like Groundhog Day (with a hurricane or two to spice it up)...

So as far as other areas to look at...any other areas that we kid friendly? Judging by your feedback for tourist season, I think maybe not beach front, but generally close enough to hop on a bike or in a car to drive to, would be ideal. And to your comment THX regarding our high rent budget - I'd MUCH prefer to go less than that so we can sock away more money but I'm budgeting generously "just in case" as I don't want to end up in a bad area. Here, you have to pay a solid amount of money to be in a safe neighborhood, plus an additional $250/mo to park your car in a structure. That is one cost I look forward to get rid of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach