Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 22,791 times

Advertisements

My husband has the ability to transfer to Boca Raton and we are really thinking very seriously about this. We are in our 40's, have two kids (teenagers who are 14 and 16) and currently live in the Denver metro area.

My husband is ready and willing to commute up to one hour each way to work.

We will be renting, would prefer a townhome or house but will do an apartment if necessary. We are hoping to stay under $2000 a month and need three bedrooms, two baths and we have two small dogs (one of which may stay here with my sister she is old and just not sure how she'd do with a move and she likes my sister better anyway lol). We do not want to purchase right now, we want to make sure we enjoy living in Florida before we commit that much.

Jupiter is one area that peaks my interest. We want to be within 20 minutes to the beach, closer if at all possible. Obviously we need great schools for our two high school aged kids.

We have vacationed in Florida for years but of course living someplace is always far different. I see thread on here about high crime and gangs in Palm Beach County and that concerns me, then I see completely opposite opinions about living in the area that make me feel better.

Any advice is appreicated. We want to live somewhere near Boca or north, not south.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,421,901 times
If you're working in Boca, why not live in Boca itself? Safe, good schools, lots of shopping and dining.

Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens would be a bit of a haul, but is still less than an hour commute. It's a bit less congested up in North County.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 AM

I read someplace, maybe here, that Boca is more urban, we are used to quiet surburbia and like that. I guess I need to include Boca, obviously less commute is always welcome for my husband!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 15,668 times
I'm contemplating moving to Fort Myers with a friend, we are both college graduates (from Michigan) and we are looking to relocate. Both degrees are in business, I'm worried we'll get there and be stranded, although we both have waitress experience, and I am bartender. I do want to use my degree, probably something administrative in the beginning, since I have five years experience in that area. She wants to move here because she knows someone, well Id rather pick a place where we wont struggle entirely, any ideas besides Ft Myers? I keep hearing such bad things =(

Old 07-08-2011, 12:15 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,393,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnne View Post
I read someplace, maybe here, that Boca is more urban, we are used to quiet surburbia and like that. I guess I need to include Boca, obviously less commute is always welcome for my husband!
Hi Anne
We lived in Littleton Colorado for 5.5 years our son was born there..anyway we left 16 years ago...We live in Boca and our son attends Spanish River HS I know the newsweek articles aren't worth much, but we are 185 in the country most of it is based on Graduation and SAT...Our Son will be a Junior as he is 16....Boca Community HS is Excellent as well..and can not go wrong with either one...You might like East Boca which is zoned for Boca High School, they have an excellent sports progarm as well...Spanish River HS too has some excellent sports team just not Football...they pretty much stink all around but with a new coach who knows.Our Son Swim's for the HS Team and Club Swims as well...Anyway, Look Into Both of these Schools...Our son attended West Boca HS and collectively he wasnt happy and as parents we were too thrilled...

you check these zip codes: 33433, 33434 and 33496 is Spanish River
33431, 33432 and 33487 some parts are Boca Community HS...

Jupiter is also very nice and their HS from what I hear is also Very Good so if you can consider both areas, then I would although Jupiter to Boca everyday might a hike with Traffic...

Good Luck

Old 07-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Swimmom, I am so thankful for your information! I have been looking at various threads and was hoping you'd respond as I think we have a lot in common.

I grew up in Littleton and now live in Centennial (Southeast Aurora basically) and we are in desparate need of a change.

Our sons are the same age, tough age to move but he says he is ready and excited.

Thanks so much, too funny I didn't realize you had lived in Colorado! It has changed quite a bit in 16 years although not in a bad way.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,393,830 times
Anne Yes our boys are the same age..and your very welcome...I will send you my email address if you like and we can keep in touch!!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 AM

378 posts, read 830,747 times
The reason you see so many pro/con posts are that you only have a 50% chance of your move to Florida working out. There are many benefits such as financial protections that Florida residents enjoy that people in other states can only dream of. But Florida does have issues and statistically 50% of new residents leave, sometimes after just a short time and often at great expense.

Florida's summer is hotter, more humid and is 5 months long but seems much longer than that many years. It also has hurricanes, droughts, pet eating alligators and other problems you do find out about on vacation here. Moving kids around too often isn't good. I'm glad to see you doing your homework.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:57 PM

160 posts, read 303,591 times
I have to agree with the last post about all the pros and cons. I've lived in Boca for the last 17 years and South Florida has many pros and many cons. The problem lies in the fact that both P&C's are on the extreme end of the spectrum.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 PM

10 posts, read 38,272 times
i am moving to florida from PA in mid august. any suggestions? i will be working in delray but my office is in west palm! it will be a one bedroom under $1000 we are looking for. safe area, we are in our 20's so preferably somewhere where there are things to do a downtown would be great. we want somewhere safe, close to the beach. any suggestions would be greattt. we are looking either from delray north to west palm. and anywhere in between. we have no idea of the area!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach