Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,897,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
its not like you have very high science qualifications yourself. as if i dont know its hard to get there, if i win the green card, get lucky after uni or marry then i will move and i will make it, there is no doubt in my mind. if i wont then its not the end of the world either
Well obviously I am only 17 and I am not interested in science.
But, I am doing A levels and making a stab at it.

Good luck to you. It just seems as though you would not make it in a good lifestyle without a high paid job.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,272,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
America is not the same. They do not have benefits like us or council estates like us.
in case you dont know you cant claim benefits unless you have been paying taxes for 12 months minimum in UK. so we were not eligible for ANY help from the government.

btw America DOES have benefits, its a myth that they dont.

And ive been in Uk for 7 years and never lived in a council estate. so for you to suggest that is SO RUDE.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Well obviously I am only 17 and I am not interested in science.
But, I am doing A levels and making a stab at it.

Good luck to you. It just seems as though you would not make it in a good lifestyle without a high paid job.
well i already have my A levels, noone will make a good lifestyle without high paid job, that is very obvious.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
in case you dont know you cant claim benefits unless you have been paying taxes for 12 months minimum in UK. so we were not eligible for ANY help from the government.

btw America DOES have benefits, its a myth that they dont.

And ive been in Uk for 7 years and never lived in a council estate. so for you to suggest that is SO RUDE.
Erm, I never said that. I do not know many immigrants or much about them. All I hear everday is stories about immigrants coming in and sponging off the country.

The UK is a very good country, that is why they come here. You can basically live in a council estate at 16 on you're own without any bills or anything. If any they are small.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:38 PM

another reason why id rater live in the states... you can actually belong if you speak english and feel american, and people wont refer to you as the polish one or eastern european on every ocassion like Brits do, you can be American and be treated like one... you cant become British in the same way because people will always make you feel different.

I met one French lady who was 80 and she lived in England since she was 60 and she was still "french" despite spending all her life in UK, speaking perfect english etc, so she told me to not even bother because I will never be like "them" in British people eyes no matter what.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
for some reason most of the farms here have polish names. Owners' family probably at least 80 years ago, though.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
another reason why id rater live in the states... you can actually belong if you speak english and feel american, and people wont refer to you as the polish one or eastern european on every ocassion like Brits do, you can be American and be treated like one... you cant become British in the same way because people will always make you feel different.

I met one French lady who was 80 and she lived in England since she was 60 and she was still "french" despite spending all her life in UK, speaking perfect english etc, so she told me to not even bother because I will never be like "them" in British people eyes no matter what.
Why would you want to be British lol. Be proud of who you are and you're country.

If I ever goto america obviously I will pick up american citizenship. But I will never ever call myself american. I will always be northern irish/british because my heritage is very important to me, so I would never try and destroy it!

You are not seen as British because you are not British and in case you did not notice america is made of immigrants.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
Quote:
Why would you want to be British lol. Be proud of who you are and you're country.
Because he lives in the UK, therefore he's British.

Quote:
If I ever goto america obviously I will pick up american citizenship. But I will never ever call myself american. I will always be northern irish/british because my heritage is very important to me, so I would never try and destroy it!
Nothing wrong with keeping your heritage, but you would be living here for decades...

Old 07-23-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:

You are not seen as British because you are not British and in case you did not notice america is made of immigrants.
because when you spend half of your life somewhere you dont want to be constantly reminded that you are different, despite speaking the language etc

with each additional year that I live here i feel more attached to it and ive only noticed it now. My blood is polish and thats where I come from but UK is my home too now, this is where i finished shool, had my first job, date etc and if i end up staying here forever (and i will unless i get lucky to move to my beloved Florida lol) then i dont think it would be nice to be called foreign all the time in 20 years time for example...

Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 PM

I realise that. But you have got to realise that the UK is new to immigration. It is only recent. As a people we are quite reserved so to us immigrants are quite a difference.

Obviously you are living here but the fact is you are Polish because you were born there. Of course you don't want to be treated differently I know how you feel. That should change with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather