Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2020, 09:03 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,455,531 times

Advertisements

It was 55 this morning. Further west, Newark was 51. Not bad, but not great either. Can't wait for 30s and 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 09:26 AM

402 posts, read 191,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That would stike me as very odd. I'd suspect a more local source.
GOES imagery suggests that this is actually smoke from the western U.S. Exceptionally rare event underway.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:32 AM

5,721 posts, read 3,505,785 times
Upper-level troughing and an associated surface low brought some much-needed rain last evening. Falls were generally in the 2-3 mm range.

Source: https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/sfc2.shtml

Unfortunately the smoke remains entrenched and air quality continues to be very poor. Current air quality index in Victoria scored between 224-278 which is "very unhealthy".

Source: https://www.airnow.gov/

Last edited by Ed's Mountain; 09-15-2020 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Added references

Old 09-15-2020, 09:48 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGweather View Post
GOES imagery suggests that this is actually smoke from the western U.S. Exceptionally rare event underway.

A few days ago, some of that smoke even made it to Europe.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:03 AM

6,785 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGweather View Post

I get that smoke will traverse the entire world but it would be unusual for it to be able to darken the sky at this distance. I don't live that far from SE PA and haven't noticed anything unusual. There was some sporadic cloud cover in the Mid-Atlantic this morning which I wouldn't link to the fires on the West Coast.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:35 AM

769 posts, read 479,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Upper-level troughing and an associated surface low brought some much-needed rain last evening. Falls were generally in the 2-3 mm range.

Source: https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/sfc2.shtml

Unfortunately the smoke remains entrenched and air quality continues to be very poor. Current air quality index in Victoria scored between 224-278 which is "very unhealthy".

Source: https://www.airnow.gov/
Air quality is still atrocious in Vancouver too. It's definitely improved a touch after yesterday's drizzle but visibility remains poor. I hear another douse of smoke is on the way for tomorrow/Thursday so this is probably the best air quality we'll see until Friday or later on over the weekend.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:35 AM

592 posts, read 460,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
It might be fog. Today morning felt unusually cold for me and the sun didn’t shine for some time, but now it’s bright and clear.
The sun was shining through the haze, and the humidity is low so I highly doubt it's fog. It's lingering as of 1pm, but the sun is shining through. It's hard to describe honestly

Last edited by ChuckG2008; 09-15-2020 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-15-2020, 10:50 AM

592 posts, read 460,848 times
Quote:
I get that smoke will traverse the entire world but it would be unusual for it to be able to darken the sky at this distance. I don't live that far from SE PA and haven't noticed anything unusual. There was some sporadic cloud cover in the Mid-Atlantic this morning which I wouldn't link to the fires on the West Coast.
It didn't darken the sky though - it's like a milky white veil covering a good chunk of the sky. The sun's shining but the sky is almost pure yellowish white instead of a shade of blue

Last edited by ChuckG2008; 09-15-2020 at 11:12 AM..

Old 09-15-2020, 11:48 AM

735 posts, read 654,385 times
AQI is below 100 right now in the bay area! Time for my dog to go on his first walk in weeks.

Later this week looks promising for the PNW to get more widespread rain, but also possibly lightning.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forec...AFDSEW&wfo=sew

Old 09-15-2020, 12:14 PM

402 posts, read 191,922 times
Quote:
I took this shot around 6:30pm yesterday. The haze you can see is smoke, not cloud cover. It varies in density and is most visible in the morning and evening hours. (Mods: feel free to resize, I can't figure it out)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather