Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 09:07 AM

659 posts, read 899,192 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Arizona or Las Vegas where it gets up to 120 degrees and I never want to, although the dry heat probably won't bother me as much as humid heat.

The hottest weather I've ever experienced is kind of surprising. It was while I was travelling.

I've been to Atlanta and New Orleans in the middle of the summer and didn't find it any worse than Boston. Hot, humid, uncomfortable just like I'm used to here.

The hottest I've ever been was mid-summer in Washington DC and Toronto. Yes, Toronto. Canada. They really don't live in igloos there. I experienced 105 degrees with dew points in the 70's in both cities - and more than once in Toronto. Have you ever stepped outside and you're covered in sweat in 30 seconds? Ewwww.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 08:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I drove across Saudi rabia in a non-air conditioned car.
We closed the windows, because the air blowing in was like an oven. After a minute or two, we would be sweating so much, we;d open the windiows and it would feel refreshing for about a minute, then we would have to close them again, because at least in the car, we were in the shade. The road ran parallel to a pipeline, which was up on struts about 5 feet above the ground. From time to time we would go and sit under the pipeline---the only shade for hundreds of miles. Before we left, we were told that we could wrap a raw chicken in foil, and it would cook in the trunk of the car, so we tried it. When we got to Kuwait, the chicken was perfect. It takes about 15 hours to drive from Jordan to Kuwait.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:34 PM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
For me, it had to be when I lived in Sacramento in the early 90s. At the beginning of July, the high got up to 115 degrees F. I was driving home from work about 4:20 in the afternoon that day, and the AC in my car running full blast wasn't even cooling me off!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
The hottest temperature I have ever experienced is 99. Right here in Massachusetts, back in June. I had no problem with the heat. A lot of people were complaining, but I was waiting for that type of heat all winter. Even one of my teachers was complaining...a teacher that talked about moving to Georgia, I thought he liked the heat but it turns out he just likes to complain about the weather no matter what. A heat wave up north separates the people that really like the heat from the people that just say they do...they act like 2 days of 90+ degree weather is the end of the world. I don't experience much extreme heat, but I can't help it. I live in Massachusetts.

I may have experienced a higher temperature when I was younger, but when you're a kid, that's not the type of thing you remember.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:54 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Somewhere in the 120s or upper 110s with the late-summer monsoonal moisture in Vegas. I loved it. If you don't know, I love hot weather.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:31 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Ahhh the day I was born, 106 degrees with 100% humidity. My ma and pa remind me every year about how miserable it was outside when I was born. My brother was born in February, the temperature that day was around 5 degrees and they had a huge snow storm. My sister on the other hand was born in September where it was a beautiful 65 degrees and sunny.

I've dealt with -20 before it stinks, feels like 10* to me though.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Ahhh the day I was born, 106 degrees with 100% humidity.
I didn't know that was possible. That produces a heat index of 243 degrees.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:39 PM

396 posts, read 1,276,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I drove across Saudi rabia in a non-air conditioned car.
We closed the windows, because the air blowing in was like an oven. After a minute or two, we would be sweating so much, we;d open the windiows and it would feel refreshing for about a minute, then we would have to close them again, because at least in the car, we were in the shade. The road ran parallel to a pipeline, which was up on struts about 5 feet above the ground. From time to time we would go and sit under the pipeline---the only shade for hundreds of miles. Before we left, we were told that we could wrap a raw chicken in foil, and it would cook in the trunk of the car, so we tried it. When we got to Kuwait, the chicken was perfect. It takes about 15 hours to drive from Jordan to Kuwait.
Holy crap that sounds like the most miserable thing anyone could possibly do.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:47 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Ahhh the day I was born, 106 degrees with 100% humidity. My ma and pa remind me every year about how miserable it was outside when I was born. My brother was born in February, the temperature that day was around 5 degrees and they had a huge snow storm. My sister on the other hand was born in September where it was a beautiful 65 degrees and sunny.

I've dealt with -20 before it stinks, feels like 10* to me though.
106 degrees with 100% humdity. You know you don't know what you're talking about? A dew point of 106 degrees? The highest recorded dew point was 95 degrees:

"A dew point of 35 °C (95 °F) was reported in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia at 3 p.m. July 8, 2003. The temperature was 42 °C (108 °F), resulting in an apparent temperature or heat index of 80 °C (176 °F).[2]"
-Wikipedia

A dew point warmer than body temperature (98f) would cause water to condense in your lungs drowning you anyhow. Thinking back to my birthday though it was a pleasant 67f on 31st August back in 80 something forgot the year. This was in North West England and not far from the scottish border and about 55*N.

Hottest temperature I experienced ever was 34c or may be 35c probably in England or France.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:51 PM

396 posts, read 1,276,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I didn't know that was possible. That produces a heat index of 243 degrees.
It's not possible. Air that hot cannot hold 100% humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather