Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 04:08 PM

11,654 posts, read 13,078,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
There are some place in Southern Hemisphere who can get lake effect snow? I've been looking in google earth and seen that:

Australia : Impossible since it dont have any great lake and cold waves there are mild.
New Zealand : There are a lot of considerable lakes there,but them are small and have a glacial origin,so the temperature of waters there are very cold.
South America : The most likely,there are inumerous lakes on eastern parts of Patagonian Andes,in my guess,the place who has the greatest chance for lake effect snow is the General Carrera Lake,since its great and extends into Patagonia steppe,a place who can get very,very cold in winter(-25/-30C),who is sufficient,since the difference between the lake waters and air temperature are great enough to the effect.
And yet you say I'm obsessed with Sydney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 07:22 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,019,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
And yet you say I'm obsessed with Sydney.
I not favoured South America by saying this,its just the reality,Australia dont have any great lake and cold air mass there aren't sufficiently cold to generate the snow effect on the ocean.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:57 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,411,419 times
My rain gauge has developed a huge crack.

You'd think they'd be weather proof, but no lol. It was only $2 though, nothing fancy. I'll just have to use the airport's rainfall measurements tomorrow.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
I not favoured South America by saying this,its just the reality,Australia dont have any great lake and cold air mass there aren't sufficiently cold to generate the snow effect on the ocean.
Yes, yes, and the sky is blue. How many times do you have to say that South America is prone to colder air masses, blizzards and freezes? We know this. I mean, you say that I make a lot of Sydney threads, but you make a lot more posts about South America and how snowy it is. Aren't we not that different? At least I criticize my city's climate from time to time (you can see that in the Australia climate thread). Can you ever criticize South America's climate? At least I don't always boast about Sydney.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:02 AM

What places in the world with fairly mild average highs in winter (8C-10C) have record lows around or close to -16C?

This is in contrast to Melbourne and Sydney's summers, with their rather mild highs (25C-26C) and their extreme high records (46C). Also Albany (23C average summer high, 45C record high).

Such extreme anomalies only occur here in the summer. Any places that experience such drastic temperature differences in the winter? I'm guessing US south?

Old 02-09-2017, 12:06 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,985,117 times
Quote:
What places in the world with fairly mild average highs in winter (8C-10C) have record lows around or close to -16C?

This is in contrast to Melbourne and Sydney's summers, with their rather mild highs (25C-26C) and their extreme high records (46C). Also Albany (23C average summer high, 45C record high).

Such extreme anomalies only occur here in the summer. Any places that experience such drastic temperature differences in the winter? I'm guessing US south?
My dream climate has -2C/9C in July and a record low of -15C

Old 02-09-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
My dream climate has -2C/9C in July and a record low of -15C
Lonmaren suggested Pamplona in the other thread.

Seems close to your dream climate judging by your figures, no?

Old 02-09-2017, 12:10 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,533,423 times
Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitoria-Gasteiz#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamplona#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin...rginia#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raleig...rolina#Climate (wow -23C...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashgabat#Climate (-24.1C )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosul#Climate (12.2C Jan high -17.6C record low...)

Old 02-09-2017, 12:47 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,854,852 times
I would think 8-10C and -16C would be easy in Europe, Asia, South and North America.

NZ can manage 7.8C and -25C at Ranfurly.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:05 AM

3,835 posts, read 3,044,414 times
Quote:

Esperance is another spot with spectacular differences between average and record highs.
Also the temperature gradient back from the coast can be quite extreme, due to cold ocean currents.
And yes I have experienced it first hand, a summer spent there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather