Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 06:36 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times

Advertisements

It looks like Kentucky will see widespread 80s on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 06:48 PM

173 posts, read 159,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Current temp in Denver: 33 F
Current temp in Edmonton, Canada: 63 F

Don't you just love western North America and their bizarre weather, especially during spring?
Well thats western North America for ya.
Expect extreme temperature variations and extreme weather conditions, no matter the time year.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:55 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Warmest day since March 10th for CT coast. Notice last 4 days got warmer and warmer.

btw.. gfs has been back to just seasonable all month with periods of below normal at times. No more crazy heat its showing.

I wasnt expecting today to overperform the way it did, should reach at least 70 tomorrow at this rate. Hopefully the GFS flips back to above normal, although seasonable isn't bad at this point, our current averages are fairly comfortable.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:46 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I would LOVE for this to happen in the summer on 1 condition only. Mid Level temps are not torching hot and the heights aren't that high.

With the position it's in now it's giving us a Northerly flow keeping us dry as can be.. I even have a breeze! and its warm enough.

5pm OBS.. Look at those dewpoints. Nice! Temps in 60s with dewpoints in teens and 20s.

National Weather Service Text Product Display

National Weather Service Text Product Display

I mean the endless sun and bone dry. Yuk. I get tired of that after a few days.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Current temp in Denver: 33 F
Current temp in Edmonton, Canada: 63 F

Don't you just love western North America and their bizarre weather, especially during spring?

Denver is 3,000 ft higher in elevation. How bout when Alaska is warmer than Georgia? That probably happens more often than Edmonton being warmer than Denver given the typical polar Jetstream position shown in the linked image.

Remember, this is the "average" position, so yes it dips over the West at times. But in winter its favorite position is right over you. Hence the totally unstable subtropical climates of the South.

The geography of North America is responsible for this.

https://climate.ncsu.edu/secc_edu/im...mer_winter.jpg

Old 04-16-2016, 10:14 PM

48 posts, read 72,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Denver is 3,000 ft higher in elevation. How bout when Alaska is warmer than Georgia? That probably happens more often than Edmonton being warmer than Denver given the typical polar Jetstream position shown in the linked image.

Remember, this is the "average" position, so yes it dips over the West at times. But in winter its favorite position is right over you. Hence the totally unstable subtropical climates of the South.

The geography of North America is responsible for this.

https://climate.ncsu.edu/secc_edu/im...mer_winter.jpg
Actually, I don't think it is necessarily showing that the average position is a dip over the East, so much as it is just showing that the Jet Stream moves southwards closer to the Equator from summer to winter.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:26 PM

29,542 posts, read 19,632,331 times
NWS station closest to my house hit the first 80F/27C of the year today

Old 04-16-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCircuit View Post
Actually, I don't think it is necessarily showing that the average position is a dip over the East, so much as it is just showing that the Jet Stream moves southwards closer to the Equator from summer to winter.
Look at avg winter temps and that jet stream position. Then keep in mind elevation. The North American Cordillera causes a typical ridge in the western longitudes.

The Westerlies

https://books.google.com/books?id=yl...illera&f=false

"There is a strong ridge in the longitudes of Alaska and the western cordillera of North America, and another west of Europe"

That book explains how our geography is a climate fail for those of us that like stable avg winters.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCircuits View Post
Looking at that dip, though, it doesn't seem that all of the East is afflicted.

Well that is average. That jet has dipped well into Florida at times. I mean Georgia has seen single digits lol. When has lowland CA ever seen single digits? Or Phoenix or any part of lowland Arizona? It just doesn't happen except for the East. I blame geography and those mountains that run north-south and not east-west.

Somehow I think that if the entire western US were as flat as the eastern US, and no Rocky Mountains, that polar jet would just not do extreme dips like that in winter.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:37 AM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Rockies Snowstorm April 16-17, 2016:

Reed Timmer: "FULL VIDEO of I70 shutdown east of Denver. 30" just measured at 8000' in Foothills W Denver " https://twitter.com/reedtimmerTVN/st...792384/photo/1

Reed Timmer: "Big-time snow accumulation over two feet and counting near Golden, CO still 1-2" per hour." https://twitter.com/reedtimmerTVN/st...332480/photo/1

A couple went for a hike: "Heavy Snow has come down across the Colorado foothills, creating beautiful scenes" https://twitter.com/ScienceByMaria/s...997376/photo/1

Interesting way to measure. Brekenridge, CO

She looks happy. Bird Camp, CO

Some areas had leaves on the trees.

More damage from snowstorm in Colorado

Montana got snow too.. Record for Great Falls

Arizona got snow too

I will grab the map when all said and done. But WOW!
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/validPr...=LSR&node=KBOU

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather