Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2023, 10:23 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
As the planet warms, this will happen more frequently and snow extent and total water mass will continue to increase. Along with bone chilling cold.
"As temperatures rise and precipitation declines, annual snowpack and glaciers are vanishing from California’s high elevations, which in turn is straining reservoir and river levels in the state."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/02/us/ca...ort/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 01:35 AM
SFX

1,636 posts, read 891,622 times
My sarcasm does not work online. Let me try again.

Monthly Snow Cover Extent February 1968 vs Monthly Snow Cover Extent February 2023

If we believe the "global temperature" has gone way up, then the amount of snow has nothing to do with temperature.

Or, if we look at the seasonal extent, the warmer it gets, the more snow falls.

At least in the fall and winter

Spring snow extent shows the reverse.

Of course some of us will object, and argue that we have been told snow is decreasing, snow is going away, a warming climate means less snow. Which of course makes sense.

However, since global warming/climate change is a fact, then warming must mean more snow in the cold season.

Nope. The sarcasm still doesn't work. I sound serious.

Last edited by SFX; 03-09-2023 at 01:45 AM..

Old 03-09-2023, 12:58 PM

11,025 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
As the planet warms, this will happen more frequently and snow extent and total water mass will continue to increase. Along with bone chilling cold.
This is sarcasm?

Old 03-09-2023, 03:58 PM
SFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This is sarcasm?
More like "verbal irony". I'm stating the exact opposite of reality. The problem these days, is no matter how "out there" of a claim you make, somebody is going to think you are serious.

Old 03-09-2023, 11:11 PM

465 posts, read 405,078 times
Quote:
My sarcasm does not work online. Let me try again.

Monthly Snow Cover Extent February 1968 vs Monthly Snow Cover Extent February 2023

If we believe the "global temperature" has gone way up, then the amount of snow has nothing to do with temperature.

Or, if we look at the seasonal extent, the warmer it gets, the more snow falls.

At least in the fall and winter

Spring snow extent shows the reverse.

Of course some of us will object, and argue that we have been told snow is decreasing, snow is going away, a warming climate means less snow. Which of course makes sense.

However, since global warming/climate change is a fact, then warming must mean more snow in the cold season.

Nope. The sarcasm still doesn't work. I sound serious.
Is it really so strange that it may snow more in some areas as it gets warmer? Just look at climates in East Asia and how dry they are. Although winters are bone-chillingly cold there, they hardly get any snow because of the Siberian anticyclone. It's not hard to imagine a different climate where the anticyclone is weaker in the winter, with warmer, snowier winters.

It can be hard to wrap one's head around everything a warming Earth entails...but that's not reason to claim that it's not really warming, which if I'm correct, seems to be the point of your post. There's no reason why it can't snow more in some places even as they get warmer, at least for a while, since warmer air holds more water vapor. After all, interior Antarctica is a polar desert.

Old 03-10-2023, 04:22 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Still going! INSANE amount of snow

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/st..._yiRfxEzw&s=19

Old 03-14-2023, 06:58 PM

5,731 posts, read 3,510,184 times

Source: https://twitter.com/SnowBrains/statu...326514688?s=20

Old 03-16-2023, 08:25 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
What?!!

https://twitter.com/WeatherNation/st...mtOiplx1Q&s=19

Old 03-16-2023, 09:25 PM
SFX

https://cssl.berkeley.edu

Old 03-16-2023, 11:42 PM

465 posts, read 405,078 times
So then it's about the seventh-snowiest winter since 1880 so far? That's quite impressive seeing as it's still March. I'd imagine there's a chance they'll beat the all-time record.

Looks like the earlier winters had higher maximum snow depths than recent years (probably because they were colder) even though I can't discern much trend in total snowfall. This lines up with retreating glaciers throughout the Western US and Canada--steadily accumulating snow on the ground, and temperatures cool enough to keep the ice around during the warm season, is what really matters to a glacier's progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather