Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 10:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post

NWS Weather Fatality, Injury and Damage Statistics

A simple Google search will prove that that's complete bull****. I don't know why people always say this **** without looking it up.
Because it's correct, look it up more carefully

https://twitter.com/sarahkliff/statu...83269070028800
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 10:16 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Because it's correct, look it up more carefully

https://twitter.com/sarahkliff/statu...83269070028800
OK, I stand corrected. I was simply looking at heat vs. cold, which was my mistake...

Tbh though, I feel like winter-related automobile accidents are caused more by people being stupid rather than blame it on the cold. People are always warned to not drive during a winter storm.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:28 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
OK, I stand corrected. I was simply looking at heat vs. cold, which was my mistake...

Tbh though, I feel like winter-related automobile accidents are caused more by people being stupid rather than blame it on the cold. People are always warned to not drive during a winter storm.
U live in Miami so u don't understand. People are forced to. My father was coming home at midnight from work when the accident happened. In 2014 during the big mess in January it took him 5 hours to get to his job due to the mess in the roads only to be told go home once he got to work and it took him another 5 to get home. People are called to work even during these storms but the shear majority of people who are on the roads are people who are forced to then you might have a few idiots.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:30 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Regarding on-off daily deviations (and not considering the frequency of such devoations), after checking numerous locations in non-western America and Europe, they seem pretty even to me. For example, the record low high is 22°C below average in Churchill, MB. In Helsinki it's 30°C below normal. it's 18°C and 19°C below in NYC and Bucharest, respectively.
Everything depends on if it's common to reach close to the record low or if it was an one-off. Because the Helsinki January 1987 was once in a 100 years event.

BTW, I almost lost my own life when I was 18. It was summer and I drove stupidly.

Secondly, the heat wave of 2003 killed 60,000 people in Europe. This January cold wave some 200 people.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:30 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
U live in Miami so u don't understand. People are forced to. My father was coming home at midnight from work when the accident happened. In 2014 during the big mess in January it took him 5 hours to get to his job due to the mess in the roads only to be told go home once he got to work and it took him another 5 to get home. People are called to work even during these storms but the shear majority of people who are on the roads are people who are forced to then you might have a few idiots.
Yeah, I wasn't saying all accidents are caused by that, but a lot of accidents are caused by people unnecessarily going out during storms. Honestly, I think employers are huge dickheads for calling their employees in to work during a winter storm. A few days off isn't going to kill the company.

BTW, I haven't lived in Miami all my life and I have dealt with snow before. I would honestly rather lose my job than my life, I would tell my employer to **** off if he told me to go into work during an ice storm.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:31 AM

Also last year my uncle was driving and his car slipped on ice flipped over and nearly flipped over the bridge into the river. He too was forced to go to work.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't saying all accidents are caused by that, but a lot of accidents are caused by people unnecessarily going out during storms. Honestly, I think employers are huge dickheads for calling their employees in to work during a winter storm. A few days off isn't going to kill the company.
Corporate america. That's just how it goes I guess. Honestly most people won't be out during the storm so why do businesses need to open and risk their employees lives only to make a few measly dollars.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:51 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Also last year my uncle was driving and his car slipped on ice flipped over and nearly flipped over the bridge into the river. He too was forced to go to work.
Well, here is your solution:

Buy them or play with your life. The solution exists.

North Carolina

Studded Tires are permitted.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/studded-tires/

Old 02-07-2016, 11:13 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Have you tried to drive on snow with summer tires before? If yes, which of the following situations is the driving comfort using them closer to?
1. Driving on snow with summer tires
2. Driving on bare asphalt

As I've never lived in a snowy location I've never used winter tires but boy, driving on snow unequipped is a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Everything depends on if it's common to reach close to the record low or if it was an one-off. Because the Helsinki January 1987 was once in a 100 years event.
Yeah, but aren't all records once in a 100 year events? Last month alone Helsinki airport had two days with 20°C+ anomalies, similar to Churchill's record.

Conted the number of days with 15°C+ negative anomalies on the mean since 1960 for those 4 random cities. Helsinki is outta the more variable one from that panel:

72 Helsinki
13 Churchill
6 New York
6 Bucharest

Btw I only looked at January for NYC before, considering all three winter months the difference is much larger, at 23°C.

Last edited by Rozenn; 02-07-2016 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-07-2016, 11:29 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Snowing in NC northeast of Fayetteville.

Meanwhile I'm at 51F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather