Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 09:44 AM

753 posts, read 839,551 times

Advertisements

Humidity seems to be going up in Western Canada today. I heard it was because this high pressure system (that's causing the heatwave) is sucking up moisture from the jet stream or something like that. Anybody know more about that? I'm not very familiar with these sorts of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:13 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,525,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Is there a reason you stay in Atlanta? You seem to whine about the climate there. Just move already if you are such a cold lover. I'm sure you would be a lot happier in Minnesota or something.

I'm perfectly fine with the averages for my climate, I just don't like crazy anomalies. Seems many of the cold lovers on this board hate even their average temps. I just don't get it.
I have other people in my life to be concerned with...lol. But it's certainly a long-term goal I have - and my heart is set in central New York (Syracuse area). Not only does it offer a superb climate, it's got a lot of other things going for it, such as a low cost of living (#1 in the USA for affordable housing, for instance), and being within an easy drive of a great number of cool places (NYC, Boston, Montreal, etc.)

Truth be told, I really do like it here 7 months out of the year - from October through April. I call that my "happy season." It's the May-Sept period I have the most trouble with, and May and Sept aren't so bad, if temps would stay at average, or below. But in the June-Aug period, when even the averages are above my tolerance level, and it gets hotter than that, that's when I have major problems.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:22 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,743,418 times
Warm day in SW Europe, probably the second 90°F day of the year in Paris. Seville reached 40°C for the second time (it reached that temperature on May 13th!)

6 pm temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post
Humidity seems to be going up in Western Canada today. I heard it was because this high pressure system (that's causing the heatwave) is sucking up moisture from the jet stream or something like that. Anybody know more about that? I'm not very familiar with these sorts of things.
Winds are off the SSW, so air travels over cool ocean waters. I noticed an increase in the reported dew points, but nothing extraordinary so far. Is the Salish sea significantly warmer than the open Pacific waters? Water heating up more than normal could increase dew points somewhat.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:24 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,241,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Warm day, probably the second 90°F day of the year in Paris. Seville reached 40°C for the second time (it reached that temperature on May 13th!)

Winds are off the SSW, so air travels over cool ocean waters. I noticed an increase in the reported dew points, but nothing extraordinary so far. Is the Salish sea significantly warmer than the open Pacific waters? Water heating up more than normal could increase dew points somewhat.
How are the dewpoints across France?

Interestingly we're getting more "oceanic" summer weather. Highs struggling to reach 80 F/27 C here the upcoming week and tomorrow is only expected to be 65 F/18 C with heavy rain.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:32 AM

A 18°C high in late June must be something for NJ! It would be akin to a 14°C max in Paris. We got similar negative anomalies last July, and I heard some immigrant from Nice didn't like it.

The dew points are pretty nondescript today. Definitely not humid, nor overly dry. Mostly in the 50s and ranging from 42°F to 66°F across the country right now:

Barcelona is slightly above 70°F tho:
http://www.infoclimat.fr/observation...one/08181.html

Old 06-26-2015, 10:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,004,703 times
Well...we seem to be going backwards here in northeast Ohio. When May hit, aside from a couple of cold days and a frost or 2 it seemed like we went right from winter to summer like flipping a switch. It was rather dry, with very little rain, and it looked like after 2 sub par summers we were on our way to a nice warm summer. Now in June EVERY damn weekend has been rainy with more on the way. From mid-June through the first week of August it is supposed to be the hottest point of our summer. For the next 8-10 days there is no sign of 80 degree temperatures in the forecast. So yet another 4th of July that will not feel like 4th of July. Last year it was sunny and 72. Not bad, but that is spring weather, not freakin' summer weather! And definitely NOT weather I want to see on the 4th of July! There is a deep low pressure system rolling in through the weekend which will bring heavy rain to the region, with a high of 70 on Saturday and 65 on Sunday. YUCK!!! They said that this type of low is more likely in the spring and fall, and usually not something you see in June, and therefore rare! Oh goodie! Yet a 3rd year of going from spring, to more spring, to fall and to winter. I'll bet this will be the 3rd winter in a row with record breaking cold for the region as well!

Old 06-26-2015, 11:18 AM

83,562 posts, read 75,484,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
How are the dewpoints across France?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
The dew points are pretty nondescript today. Definitely not humid, nor overly dry. Mostly in the 50s and ranging from 42°F to 66°F across the country right now:

Barcelona is slightly above 70°F tho:
Current DPs In F° . Seems like the higher the Dews the lower the temp. Most of the 60s you see have air temp of 70s or 60s but the temps in the 80s have lower dew points.

I added one station. Let me know if your curious on another. Be back later

91°F with a dewpoint of 43°F in Carcassonne

Old 06-26-2015, 11:25 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,241,383 times
Those 70 F/21 C+ dewpoints in Barcelona are interesting, but what's with the 57 F/14 C one closer to the border? Further inland? Elevation? Interesting contrasts in Italy as well.

Looks like it's a tad cooler in Southwestern France. Slightly higher dewpoints (mid-60s F) but temperatures 70s F to lower 80s F.

Last edited by ilovemycomputer90; 06-26-2015 at 11:33 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 11:29 AM

29,555 posts, read 19,666,897 times
Plain garbage.... I'm willing to bet that this July could end up as being one of the coolest on record here. Just two weeks of this, and I'm headed to Phoenix

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/s...82336755879936

Old 06-26-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Those 70 F/21 C+ dewpoints in Barcelona are interesting, but what's with the 57 F/14 C one closer to the border? Further inland? Elevation?
Yup, the 57°F dew point is from Girona, which is inland and separated from the sea by some sort of a coastal range. It's near sea level though. Kinda like San Fernando Valley in the LA area in terms of local geography. That Barcelona station would be Santa Monica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather